What's new

What do you use to STOP THE BLEEDING

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
It's very rare I'll draw blood. Maybe I'll discover a shaving "speedbump" (spot) lurking beneath the stubble if I haven't shaved for a while. I started shaving again 9 months ago, and so far no leakage, even when I've played around with doing full shaves with a shavette which I hadn't done before. So I'm going to risk appearing arrogant and suggest practice and technique development as the primary method of stopping the blood.

On the very rare occasion that I'll see a speck of blood, it's either a splash of cold water, or hold the alum block on it for a few seconds. I can't remember the last time either of those failed to fix it.

I traveled by air today from east coast to west. On the first leg I was settled in my seat and about 8 rows up a gent that looked to be 60-ish was putting his carry-on in the overhead bin when I noticed he had a postage stamp sized piece of tissue covering a cut dead center on his chin.

Since he was clean shaven it looked for all the world like a shaving cut. I'm sure he completely forgot about it and went through screening, waiting then boarding, sporting it to the world. Lesson: when shaving before travel, use styptic :eek2:

I’m experiencing far fewer nicks and weepers as my technique improves, but I use an alum block and witch hazel after every shave as I like the feel of it. I’ve experienced one more serious cut that required the powdered dog styptic.

I’m experiencing far fewer nicks and weepers as my technique improves, but I use an alum block and witch hazel after every shave as I like the feel of it. I’ve experienced one more serious cut that required the powdered dog styptic.

I guess that I've had a cut like that a couple of times, but what I did (never having heard of the powdered styptic before) was hold the styptic pencil on so long that it dried in place.

I guess that I've had a cut like that a couple of times, but what I did (never having heard of the powdered styptic before) was hold the styptic pencil on so long that it dried in place.
I'm pretty sure they sell the powdered clotting agents (for humans!) at pharmacies like CVS. Personally, ~90% of my nicks are already closed by the time I finish the pass and rinse. Anything that lasts to the end of the shave gets some personal time with an alum block. I would like to try a styptic pencil to see if it's any different, but given that I use the alum (for cuts specifically) less than once a month I can't bring myself to spend even $2-3 on a redundant product that would hardly ever be used. Completely different from all of my soaps. . . :302:

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
We all like trying new things. In terms of DE shaving, that means trying new blades, razors, pre shave oils, soaps, creams, and After Shaves. But one thing we all need to have handy is Wound treatment. Something to handle the nicks, cuts and other bloody injuries. I haven't seen any reviews on first aid items, so thought I'd throw one out there and find out what others are using.

Many years ago I bought this liquid styptic that was in a tube and had a small sponge at the end. The stuff was from New Jersey and worked great! Nothing like it. I had it for years in my travel bag, much longer than it should have been used but it blew away all the other ones I had tried. Finally tossed it and looked for a replacement.

I decided to purchase a styptic Balm called Glyder. It is a gel-like substance similar to chapstick in a tube. The manufacturer claims it has aloe vera, vitamin E, argan oil, tea tree oil, and jojoba. It costs about $9 which in comparison to other styptics is not cheap. Been DE shaving for 4 months and haven't needed to use it...until tonight. Using feathers, I made a neck cut that kept bleeding, I grabbed the Glyder and it sealed the wound quickly. So that was pretty good. The bad news, you have to twist the tube (like chapstick) to get the stuff out, but it won't go back in the tube. Which is wasteful. I don't know how long it will remain effective nor do I plan to keep trying to cut myself to see if it continues working.

Has anyone else tried this styptic or others that you recommend.
Cat gut suture

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
A styptic pencil, some pressure, and time should stop the bleeding. I remember reading a thread a year or two ago about someone who heard about putting ground pepper into a major cut to stop the bleeding. He tried it and said that it worked, but stung like crazy.

I remember reading a thread a year or two ago about someone who heard about putting ground pepper into a major cut to stop the bleeding. He tried it and said that it worked, but stung like crazy.
I have my doubts about pepper being anything special. Probably more to do with it being a fine, dry, powdery/grainy substance. As far as just stopping the bleeding, I imagine salt, flour, extra-fine sand, etc. would work just as well. The real issue would be the aftermath. What about the increased risk of infection? Flour would be a good growth medium for bacteria, assuming enough stayed in/on the wound. Of the things mentioned, sand is the most likely to be contaminated with microbes. Pepper. . . I'm not sure. Salt though is probably the most effective of these "home remedies" (fastest clotting) and quite possibly the least likely to lead to infection or leaving something embedded in the skin long-term (sand, etc.).

Of course, obligatory "I'm not a doctor and good luck finding one that endorses this technique." Anyone who has this as a game-plan for major bleeders would be better off buying the powdered clotting agents specifically made for this at CVS/your local pharmacy.

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
I have my doubts about pepper being anything special. Probably more to do with it being a fine, dry, powdery/grainy substance. As far as just stopping the bleeding, I imagine salt, flour, extra-fine sand, etc. would work just as well. The real issue would be the aftermath. What about the increased risk of infection? Flour would be a good growth medium for bacteria, assuming enough stayed in/on the wound. Of the things mentioned, sand is the most likely to be contaminated with microbes. Pepper. . . I'm not sure. Salt though is probably the most effective of these "home remedies" (fastest clotting) and quite possibly the least likely to lead to infection or leaving something embedded in the skin long-term (sand, etc.).

Of course, obligatory "I'm not a doctor and good luck finding one that endorses this technique." Anyone who has this as a game-plan for major bleeders would be better off buying the powdered clotting agents specifically made for this at CVS/your local pharmacy.

I didn't advocate it, but merely made reference to it.

Ouch!

My expensive Glyder is sounding better and better. lol

My expensive Glyder is sounding better and better. lol
Yeah. But, in the context of shaving, provided you aren't a hemophiliac or on blood thinners, there's no reason to use all of those powders. A styptic pencil/matches should be more than enough, and alum should be fine too.

Top Bottom