What's new

What do you use to STOP THE BLEEDING

We all like trying new things. In terms of DE shaving, that means trying new blades, razors, pre shave oils, soaps, creams, and After Shaves. But one thing we all need to have handy is Wound treatment. Something to handle the nicks, cuts and other bloody injuries. I haven't seen any reviews on first aid items, so thought I'd throw one out there and find out what others are using.

Many years ago I bought this liquid styptic that was in a tube and had a small sponge at the end. The stuff was from New Jersey and worked great! Nothing like it. I had it for years in my travel bag, much longer than it should have been used but it blew away all the other ones I had tried. Finally tossed it and looked for a replacement.

I decided to purchase a styptic Balm called Glyder. It is a gel-like substance similar to chapstick in a tube. The manufacturer claims it has aloe vera, vitamin E, argan oil, tea tree oil, and jojoba. It costs about $9 which in comparison to other styptics is not cheap. Been DE shaving for 4 months and haven't needed to use it...until tonight. Using feathers, I made a neck cut that kept bleeding, I grabbed the Glyder and it sealed the wound quickly. So that was pretty good. The bad news, you have to twist the tube (like chapstick) to get the stuff out, but it won't go back in the tube. Which is wasteful. I don't know how long it will remain effective nor do I plan to keep trying to cut myself to see if it continues working.

Has anyone else tried this styptic or others that you recommend.

I use witch hazel for minor nicks. Whatever is still bleeding after that I use a jumbo Clubman styptic pencil. I have a regular Clubman styptic pencil for traveling. They both come in plastic tubes with a cap.

I use an alum block. If that doesn't handle it, then I use a styptic pencil. If it still bleeds, then I use proraso repair cream. If that doesn't handle it, then only a tourniquet as a last resort.

Remedies for cuts/nicks in order of strength (least to greatest) that I have used:

1) Time (waiting the duration of the shave to see if it closes on its own, assuming it’s not a major cut)

2) Cold water (begins the process of tightening the skin)

3) AS/witch hazel splash (helps close pores and tighten skin a bit more, relieve irritation)

4) Alum block (maximum skin tightening and pore closure, for me)

I have not yet been injured to where none of these options worked.

Clubman still sells the liquid styptic in the tube with the sponge at the end. I think it's called Nick Stopper, it work's and I have a tube but hardly ever use it.

Clayton

Sent from my LG-K450 using Tapatalk

Remedies for cuts/nicks in order of strength (least to greatest) that I have used:

1) Time (waiting the duration of the shave to see if it closes on its own, assuming it’s not a major cut)

2) Cold water (begins the process of tightening the skin)

3) AS/witch hazel splash (helps close pores and tighten skin a bit more, relieve irritation)

4) Alum block (maximum skin tightening and pore closure, for me)

I have not yet been injured to where none of these options worked.
Good checklist. I did use cold water, alum, and wh. Still bled, leave to to shaving with feather, got to pay attention and stay sharp(pun). The styptic balm stopped bleeding, so I guess it was pretty good, not sure if price is worth it though.

Clubman still sells the liquid styptic in the tube with the sponge at the end. I think it's called Nick Stopper, it work's and I have a tube but hardly ever use it.

Clayton

Sent from my LG-K450 using Tapatalk
Will look for that one. Sounds like the one I used previously. Thanks.

I use an alum block. If that doesn't handle it, then I use a styptic pencil. If it still bleeds, then I use proraso repair cream. If that doesn't handle it, then only a tourniquet as a last resort.

:thumbup:

Except for the OT Gillettes and Barbasol FH, I rarely nick myself. When I do, the cut is never such that I loose a lot of blood. Maybe it's technique or that I shave very mindfully, but that's the best advice I could offer for how to stop bleeding.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I used to use a Styptic pencil but I now use an alum block. It seems to stop most bleeders. If it doesn't then the Styptic comes out of the draw. If this doesn't stop then tissue paper is used.

Cold water stops small weepers. Alum block stops most others. On occasion I have to break out the styptic pencil when the stubborn weeper doesn’t respond to the alum.

I use an alum block for minor nicks and cuts. If that doesn't work, then the styptic pencil. If one application of the styptic doesn't stop the bleeding, I apply a little more of the pencil.

Pacific Shaving Co. has a product called Nick Stick, with a roll-on applicator, that fills the spot for me between alum and the traditional styptic pencil. I rarely need to reach for the Styptic. However, If I was to get a life threatening cut, I'll reach for the canine styptic powder I use when I'm clipping my dog's nails.

I’m on a blood thinner Brillinta and aspirin. When I nick myself which is rarely, I shave real careful ly . To stop bleeding I try styptic swabs , styptic pencil , even toilet paper. Even then stopping can be difficult. Then finger pressure for awhile. Just started using feathers, so far no cuts .

I'm so lucky; one weeper and a handful of nicks since i took up DE shaving five years ago. But my first razor at 14 was a Fatboy, and I shaved with it for 20+ years. I think my muscle memory of DE shaving is still strong, after all those years.

Top Bottom