What's new

What do you guys think? Should I marry her?

I'm the last person who should ever give relationship advice. I'm soon to be divorced, and I will never marry again. Not if I were on fire and there was a bucket of water at the end of the aisle next to the preacher. I'll take my chances with stop drop and roll.

I do love my kids very much, though, and I wouldn't have them were it not for marriage. They make it worth it.

I will say my ex would never dream of giving me a razor, knife, gun, tool, or pretty much anything I would actually want as a gift. She always thought anything that interested me was silly. That your girlfriend bucks that logic is quite thoughtful.

I'm the last person who should ever give relationship advice. I'm soon to be divorced, and I will never marry again. Not if I were on fire and there was a bucket of water at the end of the aisle next to the preacher. I'll take my chances with stop drop and roll.
I understand the sentiment, this Wednesday will mark our 37th wedding anniversary, and my wife knows and will be the first to say that if for whatever reason we were no longer together that I would never remarry as I strive to never make the same mistake twice.

Marriage isn't about feelings only. These come and go. It is about making a commitment and sticking to it, taking the vows seriously with the idea that there is no escape clause. If she thinks of you and you reciprocate, if you love her, and understand the implications, then go for it. Don't date her for a long time and then break up because that is stealing from her the time she could have had raising a family.

Nice that she put some effort into finding a great gifts for you.

Regarding marrying, when making the decision it is more important to take a close look at your potential mother-in-law than at the gifts your girlfriend buys you.

Many daughters take after their mothers and it may be a wise move…
A wrong choice may eventually cost you a lot more than a dozen straight razors.

B.

Celebrating my 38th anniversary in 22 days. My belief in marriage is it doesn't matter why you get married, it matters why you stay married. Also, a wise man once told me that marriage is 80-20. You just never know when you'll be the 80 or the 20.

Regarding marrying, when making the decision it is more important to take a close look at your potential mother-in-law
This was one of the few good advises my father gave me. I later found out that my wife is more like my father in law:) So, it might also be something to take into account;)
Getting a straight razor from a girlfriend is nice;)

Antique Hoosier

“Aircooled”
“………. But ….but…. you’ve already got a nice straight razor!!! Rememberrrrrrrrrr,…… the nice ONE I bought you before we got married??!!??” “Who needs more than one razor???? That’s crazy!”

Just kidding.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Indeed I am sir! She definitely makes me laugh all day and is also a war department 😂
This was one of the few good advises my father gave me. I later found out that my wife is more like my father in law:) So, it might also be something to take into account;)
Getting a straight razor from a girlfriend is nice;)
My lovely best friend and War Department is much like both of her parents. She truly got the best of both of their traits. I am beyond blessed. There is no one on the planet that I would rather spend time with. She kompletes me!

FarmerTan

“………. But ….but…. you’ve already got a nice straight razor!!! Rememberrrrrrrrrr,…… the nice ONE I bought you before we got married??!!??” “Who needs more than one razor???? That’s crazy!”

Just kidding.
That sounds EXACTLY like my War Department giving me the business about aftershave and/or watches.

My complaint falls on deaf ears, as she is a minimalist, and I am a maximalist. I ALWAYS need just "one more....." And it really doesn't matter what it is. Life should be lived by taking big bites! Jump in with both feet!

I am a "Peter" and she is a "Paul" and we do a pretty good job of cancelling each other out, kinda like the different branches of good government!

That sounds EXACTLY like my War Department giving me the business about aftershave and/or watches.

My complaint falls on deaf ears, as she is a minimalist, and I am a maximalist. I ALWAYS need just "one more....." And it really doesn't matter what it is. Life should be lived by taking big bites! Jump in with both feet!

I am a "Peter" and she is a "Paul" and we do a pretty good job of cancelling each other out, kinda like the different branches of good government!
I’m heading the same road as you my friend but with soaps, I just have to have one more soap to try 😂

FarmerTan

I’m heading the same road as you my friend but with soaps, I just have to have one more soap to try 😂
Lol, I made ONE mistake before marriage.

I shoulda got a prenup.

We used to joke about the fact that I really only wanted one thing in writing.

I HATE to be talked to while I'm reading. That's about all I need.

So, of course, when does she talk to me?!? For the last 35+ years?!

ALL of our friends know this. Of course, all the men are sissies, so EVERYONE takes her side!

Her defense is "but you are ALWAYS reading!", which to be honest, is true about 99% of the time!

We squabble at least once a day over what is almost always, I admit kompletely, my fault.

But I thank God for her every single day. My life has been better than anyone I know, and for 36+ years it is because she made the bad decision to throw her lot in with me.

So Mr @Stapelfeld , if you are smart enough to want what is close to the perfect life on planet earth, you will grab that girl up and start living a real life as soon as possible. There is no greater thing that I can think of than having a sparring partner that you can kiss and make up with.

Top Bottom