What's new

What did you use today? +Rate the shave 1-10 (10 best)

No shave today as I had other things that took priority.
View attachment 1851074
That big van parked behind my car made a last second illegal left turn in front of me while I was traveling 50mph. Airbags, seat belts and proper Honda/Acura engineering saved the day, sort of. I walked away with just seat belt bruising. My companion fared a bit worse with major seat belt contusions and a few other minor injuries.
Daniel I’m so sorry to hear this and I hope everyone makes a full recovery quickly.

Aylsworth Drakkant Ti with a Gilette Nacet (2)
Rajon Cajon "Cherry Red Acrylic" shaving brush (Etsy)
Collette Classic Supply Co. CC1 "Clean Sheets" shaving soap
Lustray Blue Spice After Shave
Nivea Sensitive Balm

The Drakkant Ti performed as I expected. It must be my use of the more efficient razors, but this one feels mild to me now, even with the .99 gap.

The soap is a winner and does smell like clean sheets. It has the lather and slickness that assists the shave and I could use this everyday.

The Etsy scene has many fine brush makers. This one is courtesy of Michael Pitre of Rajon Cajon Brushes. This is my second purchase and his brushes are excellent.

The after shave and balm have been a staple for me and I really don't miss using the artisan products. For the price of both, it's still less than one artisan splash.

Almost the same setup as my other post, minus the Gilette Silver Blue and Thayers.

The score for the shave is a 9.8/10
20240524_163213.jpg
20240524_170241.jpg

SOTD: 05/24/2024

Razor: Weck Med Prep
Blade: Kismet Hair Shaper , 1st use
Brush: Paladin Sumo
Soap: Declaration Grooming Sellout Croap
Aftershave: Declaration Grooming Sellout Aftershave
Fragrance: Paco Rabanne Invictus EdT

First ever use of any type of Straight Razor. Figured I would use it today since I have the next 3 days off just in case it was a blood bath. Luckily only a couple of nicks on my neck. This is going to be a fun journey.

I’ve really been enjoying boar brushes as of late. I used the new to me Paladin Sumo and the handle is comfortable and the boar knot was soft after a 10 minute soaking

The soap was also new to me DG Sellout is the closest dupe I have found, as the description says “Smells like a scent that rhymes with shmaventus”. The lather is thick, back dat *** up thick. I do not plan on adding the small bottle of menthol to the splash, I don’t think it needs it.

C9BC0247-BA66-438D-A5DA-B1B4807104FD.jpeg

- Shared from My Shave Den for iOS

Pre: Stirling Unscented Pre-Shave Soap Bar
Razor: Timeless Ti .95SB w/Crown Handle
Blade: Perma-Sharp (1)
Soap: Barrister and Mann Cool
Brush: Stirling Finest Badger 24mm Fan
Bowl: Timeless
Post-Shave: Shannon's Barbershop AS

What an incredible shave, 9.5/10. The only issue was my struggle to build a good lather given that I haven't shaved with a badger in eons. Going straight from the Ti SlimSB yesterday to the Ti .95SB today, I got a more efficient 2-pass shave with the .95. I haven't used the Slim enough to issue any definitive opinions, but the .95 was super smooth, comfortable and efficient tonight.

Ti 95SB 5.24.24.jpeg

Thanks Mike. For me, I'm fine, but my S.O. is going to take a while to recover. I feel so bad for her and the only thing that will help is time.
I am so sorry to hear about this, @AlphaFrank75. I'm happy that you and your SO are moving toward the other side and are recovering. My SO was involved in a similar accident a few years ago. It's a rough and traumatic experience, and you both have my best wishes.

Blood and Alum!

Yaqi Top Slant head
Maggard MR11 handle
Bic Chrome Platinum #3
Triumph and Disaster old fashioned shaving cream
Yaqi 20mm synthetic brush
Proraso alum bar
Gillette Aftershave
Nivea Sensitive Aftershave Balm

Rating: 8.5/10 minus 3 for the skin grafting. Total 5.5

Third drive of the Yaqi Top Slant. A very close and smooth shave, except on two patches - side of the neck and on the chin - where it looks like DIY skin grafting. Holy moly, but the alum let me know all about it. I thought I was getting the hang of this beast, but apparently I have some way to go. I've decided that the Top Slant is not an EDS head, and will put it away for a while. In favour of a milder offering more appropriate for everyday use... the KCG, Yaqi Mellon or Gillette Tech come to mind...

The T&D cream was okay - a pleasant, albeit unique scent with a definite citrus note, the cream takes a lot of work to build a good lather and you need to load a fair bit on the brush to get a sustained lather. Not the best, in my opinion, and certainly not at the premium price point.

20240525_112641.jpg

I've been having a blast comparing Timeless and Game Changer plates this month, but I think that it might be time to get back to basics, Badger & Blade style. With that in mind, tomorrow night's shave will be centered around these three stalwarts from my den. (Soap/Cream/Croap to be determined, but I'm leaning toward Speick, Palmolive or Cella.) Using a badger brush tonight for the first time in forever is what inspired this fit. I'm also very curious how the pre-war fat-handle Tech will feel following on the heels of the Ti .95 and Slim. I feel compelled to copy @Alum Ladd here because (1) I am not certain that he is following this thread, and (2) he has been a significant influence in my Tech journey!

Tech Fatty.jpg

Stirling Badger.jpg

SP Blues.jpg

Date25.05.2024
366 daily shaves
146/366

RazorBladeBrush
Greencult 1.0Gillette Nacet (4)Razorock 400 Butterscotch
PreshaveSoapPostshave
Cold splash
KCG Face Wash
Hampshire Wool Fat (12)Cold splash
Proraso Green
Balm

PassesWTG XTG ATG and touch up
Process Quality
Blade Sharpness
10/10 (Clean)5/10 (Sharp)
EffectivenessShave Comfort
9/10
(BBS)
9/10 (Buttery Smooth)

Notes:

A smooth and relaxed Saturday shave. Stubble was destroyed by the GC1. All good now.

Extended shave notes can be found here.

Enjoy your shave today!

Saturday morning. Bright at the moment, but a chance of rain later. (British weather : the "chance of rain later" usually goes without saying.)

Thiers Issard 11/16 round point straight razor
Zenith chromed handle unbleached boar brush
Mitchell's Wool Fat
Denim Original aftershave

I'm still laughing about my typing a few seconds ago. Fat fingers and still being half asleep had me telling you that I'd shaved this morning with "Mitchell's Wool Fart". Anyhow, something about shaving.

Screenshot from 2024-05-25 08-58-45.png

Always reliable, this one. All of today's stuff, now I think about it. If I'd wanted to go for a good honest meat-and-potatoes shave I couldn't have selected better.

I'll give it a "9" today.

Top Bottom