What's new

Newbie Check in Today's Shave

Hello all. Today I shaved my 2-day course hair with a Henson Mild and a 7 o'clock yellow. Cremo Shave cream (2nd time using)

Shave was rough, not close at all in many spots even after 3 passes. minor irritation. Touched up to DFS with my newer Panasonic electric shaver.

Shaved #1 with Rockwell 6C plate 4 was similar. I will try a new blade next in Fatip Gentile as I work my way to my last 2 razors with this blade. Fatip and Henson Med. ++.

Anyone who has course facial hair have any input on this one?
Since Porasso Green is not slick enough I wonder if mixing some cremo with it until I use them out would be ok. The Cremo has no scent. So far my favorite creams are Porasso Red and TOBS sandalwood.

Look forward to hearing from you!

Welcome to the forum for western NC. Glad you decided to join in. There are many experienced, friendly people here and I am sure they can provide you with lots of ideas. Unfortunately, I have limited experience so I will refrain from giving unsound advice

Welcome aboard!

My main suggestions are:
1. Read through the WiKi and watch a few videos.
2. Focus developing your technique rather than ‘collecting’ hardware and software.
3. Stick with this!!

‘Traditional’ wet shaving requires a skill set! Stick with this and you will get the results you want!
:a29::a29:

Welcome aboard! I initially thought the Proraso Green was not very slick, but when using it recently. I loaded the brush more than previously. That definitely made a difference, and the resultant lather was pretty good. However, if you want to try something new, Body Shop Maca Root and Aloe shaving cream is awesome - makes a great lather, is very slick, and a little goes a long way. Tabac shaving cream has a great scent, makes good lather and is also relatively affordable. Nivea Sensitive shaving cream and Palmolive Original in a tube also make amazing lather, and are very affordable but dont hsve that great sandalwood scent.
As far as technique is concerned, your pre-shave routine is very important. Wash your face with a face wash or soap - I find Dove bars to be a good one - and then put a faacecloth on your beard for a minute or more before even startingbthe shave. Aside from being pleasant, it softens the growth greatly.
Also, try doing daily shaves - the KCG is a mild shaver and doesn't excel against heavt whisker load.
Try stick to just 2 passes initially while sorting your technique, and pay close attention to how much pressure you are putting on the razor. Razor angle isn't that critical in the KCG, but is another variable to watch closely, especially if you are going to try other razors.
Stick with it, and you should be getting BBS results with ease!

Hello and welcome. After trying out all the proraso shave creams, they all seem to be quite consistent in terms of lather, with only scents differing.

I think one aspect that isn't clear from your post is your pre shave and lather preparation. Are you face lathering or bowl lathering? Any preshave cream?

As I also have coarse hair, I find preshave prep (hot water, towel, shower, etc.) is necessary despite being tedious sometimes, as well as a preshave cream. I recently switched to face lathering, and I find it is helping with exfoliation and moisturizing, making the hair softer and easier to cut.

Another important aspect to investigate is how much water you are adding into the cream and brush.

I can echo other member's comments and state that sticking with one razor for awhile is a good idea to become familiar with DE shaving. I followed this advice, and only now after a year have I started buying new razors, and the difference between their action is quite evident and surprising. I can only imagine how difficult it would be for me to adapt to DE shaving if I had started off using multiple razors.

Blades on the other hands are easier and more beneficial to switch in and out... everyone has their preferences, and sometimes they are affected by the razor used.

Hello all. Today I shaved my 2-day course hair with a Henson Mild and a 7 o'clock yellow. Cremo Shave cream (2nd time using)

Shave was rough, not close at all in many spots even after 3 passes. minor irritation. Touched up to DFS with my newer Panasonic electric shaver.

Shaved #1 with Rockwell 6C plate 4 was similar. I will try a new blade next in Fatip Gentile as I work my way to my last 2 razors with this blade. Fatip and Henson Med. ++.

Anyone who has course facial hair have any input on this one?
Since Porasso Green is not slick enough I wonder if mixing some cremo with it until I use them out would be ok. The Cremo has no scent. So far my favorite creams are Porasso Red and TOBS sandalwood.

Look forward to hearing from you!
Hello and welcome to B&B. I am still too new to offer specific shaving advice but I will say stick with it, things get better and this community will help you get there! Watch videos, read the posts here, and take your time. The hardest thing for me to adjust to from cartridge razors was my pressure and pace. Best of luck!

Today’s Shave

Razor:
Wolfman WR1
Blade: Shark platinum (2)
Brush: ShaveMac beagle 2-band (fan)
Soap: Cella red
Splash: OS original

Rating: VERY careful Shark Week shave, with a good outcome in the end (9/10)!! :thumbup1::thumbup1:

Top Bottom