What's new

What did you learn from your last shave?

My Omega 011842 took a long time to break in but I think it finally has after more than 110 shaves. (I had it before I began tracking usage and today marked 110 uses tracked). I knew it had potential from the beginning and always performed well, but today I feel like it is finally the brush it was supposed to be.
3787279E-D474-4915-9468-436CA0ED89DE.jpeg

Last edited:
Some synthetic brushes are as good as any brush at any cost. I know we all have different opinions and there will be those you surely disagree, but I would put this Yaqi Sagrada Familia up against any brush. Blown away this Yaqi cost just $15 delivered. This type of performance I'm getting face lathering use to be reserved for the highest quality badger brushes costing significantly more.

Two things:

1. My last 5 shaves, but most importantly my most recent shave gave me a revelation. For my sensitive skin and coarse hair, the absolute best razor/blade combo is that of an aggressive razor (Timeless Ti.95) and a fairly mild, smooth blade (Voskhod). Baby smooth shaves were always a rarity for me, and I have never thought the Voskhod was anything special, but 5 BBS shaves with the same combo can't be ignored. Always thought Nacet was the blade for me, but for whatever reason, it doesnt perform as well as the Voskhod now that I have settled into my razor and randomly decided to start using the 100pk that I thought I purchased by mistake and would never be used.

2. I don't care what some people say about tube creams and affortable soap/creams in general, thinking they are just mass produced boredom that can't properly compare to a true artisan soap. Spieck always ends up being the absolute best cream for my face. It is just effortless to get a perfect lather with Speick, and it glides and protects so well. Lots of tubs I have in my drawers, but I'm about to just settle on this stuff and call it a day.

TL;DR
1. Found out Timeless Ti.95 and Voskhod (aggressive/mild) is the best combo for me.

2. Speick beats all my other soaps, including the expensive ones.

I learned why whoever invented the “lather catcher” did so. Had to keep flicking that lather into the sink before it dripped off the razor.

I think aftershave can make your skin bumpy. I noticed my skin getting bumpy. Tiny small bumps. The only thing different in my shaves was the fairly regular use of Fabergé Brut 33. I liked the smell. I stopped using it, and my face seems to be smoothing. Hmm. I might have learned something. Not sure if AS can cause a reaction like that.

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
Yesterday I used a DE, rare for me as my preference is to use a SR. Today I realized how much more invested I am in SR shaving and not in a monetary way. Hands on. I restore the vintage blades, I repair them, I maintain them, hone them. I strop everyday, something I enjoy, not an added chore. If the shave isn’t great, it’s on me, I maintain the edge. The DE shave was fine, quite similar to what I get with a SR, but all the other good stuff was missing.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Long strokes miss a lot of hairs

After a short-lived improvement from slowing down, I recently moved onto a program of short, quick strokes (both thanks to @JoWolf — an indefatigable advisor n wetshaving excellence in my experience).

During one, recent destubbling foray, I noticed my razor felt like it could make long, sweeping strokes with ease. It did, but I took skin with the stubble.

Getting more comfort and less irritation with the chipmunk nibble method shaving and the increased efficiency is a bonus.

After a short-lived improvement from slowing down, I recently moved onto a program of short, quick strokes (both thanks to @JoWolf — an indefatigable advisor n wetshaving excellence in my experience).

During one, recent destubbling foray, I noticed my razor felt like it could make long, sweeping strokes with ease. It did, but I took skin with the stubble.

Getting more comfort and less irritation with the chipmunk nibble method shaving and the increased efficiency is a bonus.
Thank you for the compliment Thom. I continue to follow the plan and practice.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
My skin has been getting much less splotchy lately and I’m thinking the combination of short, quick strokes and working to minimize edge-to-skin contact are the biggest factors.

So Monday evening, I get everything ready for my shave. Loaded a brand new Shark into a Red Tip and set it on the sink. Then I make my lather. As I see the bowl down, it bumped the razor, which knocked it off the sink. Any guesses on what I did?

Who had "Try to catch it"? Took off enough skin that they couldn't stitch it. I'm fine, just feel like a dummy. So I had to relearn if the razor falls, let it. I'm not Jason Bourne.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
So Monday evening, I get everything ready for my shave. Loaded a brand new Shark into a Red Tip and set it on the sink. Then I make my lather. As I see the bowl down, it bumped the razor, which knocked it off the sink. Any guesses on what I did?

Who had "Try to catch it"? Took off enough skin that they couldn't stitch it. I'm fine, just feel like a dummy. So I had to relearn if the razor falls, let it. I'm not Jason Bourne.
Heal quick, buddy!

Top Bottom