What's new

What did you learn from your last shave?

M

mtcn77

I learned that only the aggressive razors work best for me on daily shave
I cannot steer a ferrari everyday. I need a razor that meets the blade on the skin like track rails and never leaves course. Merkur 37C is like walking on ice. I like the challenge, but this isn't a sport, I want results, not a contest with the elements.
Yaqi's only issue is sometimes it scrapes and leaves behind white skin flakes whereas the Merkur draws blood.

Using my Gillette 195 to shave both my throat and head I'm learning to tweak the settings. It's a work in progress but for headshaving I find better results dialing up the aggressiveness 7+ wtg and then down for second and third passes; 5 and 2 respectively.
As for my throat it's a sensitive area for me so daily on setting two works great.

A mix of Trumper's Almond cream and Original Barbasol works well to shave a 1-day beard, but -- even with a good Semogue boar brush -- I can't whip up much lather on my face. The lather is done in the bowl and then painted onto cheeks and throat.

After my last shave, I learned that it's not "Pinaud Clubman" but "Clubman Pinaud." I've been saying it wrong for 10 years. I prefer the wrong way.

From what I understand, it's actual "both".

The "house" is Pinaud and the scent is Clubman, thus "Pinaud Clubman" or "Clubman by Pinaud". Though... the label and website reads "Clubman Pinaud.

In other words, I don't think you can go wrong no matter what you call it. Only by not using it are you making a huge mistake.

Still searching for the right combination for me and I learned that Gillette Silver Blues pair nicely with the Merkur 42c.

Yeah more to poke fun at how folks pronounce :)

but could see some pronouncing more or less trying the accent thing of that :) hahahaahah

Something I recall noting when I first bought the Merkur Progress: that with a good sharp blade, even the mildest setting makes for a great, low effort, good results shave.

That the combo of Proraso Green cream and matching aftershave is *cooling*, all right. I wouldn't want to use them together on a cold morning!

I also happened to see my first razor, the Merkur 23C. My gosh, but that's a long handle! It dwarfs my Slim. I have trouble imagining now that I used that razor exclusively for almost 2 years when I first got into wet shaving.

M

mtcn77

I am surprised to find that;
  1. My beard map is diagonal and I'm shocked I didn't know that,
  2. A corrected shaving direction can ease yesterday's razorburn,
  3. Tabac Original doesn't cause alkali burning sensation on previously irritated skin,
  4. A new blade must be loaded when fixing the mistake in a past rough shave.
I shaved diagonally WTG-ATG, then XTG normal, ATG normal with minor touch ups. Not feeling any stubble, or stinging tips, only straight cut beard tips is the best shaving sensation for me.

Top Bottom