What's new

What did you learn from your last shave?

Every time I use my vintage Gillettes, I am astonished all over again at their effectiveness, and say to myself, "Self, why do you need any of those modern razors?''

Every time I use my modern Merkur Progress or Fatip Open Comb Slant, I am astonished yet again at how well they shave, and say to myself, "Why bother with any of those vintage razors?"

Around and around it goes, and where it stops, nobody knows.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Stayed away from animal hair brushes for almost 4 years and was convinced synthetic brushes were the answer but Yaqi had a sale on 2 band badgers(finest badger) and finally tried 3 different knot variants and have to admit they are wonderful for applying lather and a nice scrub, always learning something new in shaving. As for my excellent synthetic brushes they will always be used but maybe not as many times in my rotation because I have so many knot variants of brushes now.(spoiled shaver :001_wub: )

If you're in a hurry, use a safety razor. I got in a disagreement with my straight razor about shaving with it when I'm short on time. The SR won the argument. Dang thing bit me. Twice! Since it decided to get violent, I gave in and finished with the Gillette Fatboy.

Today I learned that while Tabac WILL in fact lather using contact-lens solution instead of distilled water, the resultant shave can be expected to be somewhat... sub-par.

If you even have the slightest hint of a hangover, don't use any aftershave, just a cream or a balm. Had a couple of glasses of really cheap port last night. Wasn't over the limit or anything but with cheap port it doesn't take much to get a hangover. Had my shave this morning before heading off to work and splashed on some Old Spice and it just didn't agree with my slight headache. Been regretting it all day.
cheers
Andrew

M

mtcn77

If you even have the slightest hint of a hangover, don't use any aftershave, just a cream or a balm. Had a couple of glasses of really cheap port last night. Wasn't over the limit or anything but with cheap port it doesn't take much to get a hangover. Had my shave this morning before heading off to work and splashed on some Old Spice and it just didn't agree with my slight headache. Been regretting it all day.
cheers
Andrew
Must be what you had on the side - cheese, meats, seafood? Monoamines can and will give you hypertension which you veins will dilate to compensate.

Some products are classics for the good reason that they work! :a29:

Today’s shave included: a vintage Czech Astra SS blade, Wolfman WR1 razor, Haslinger’s sage soap, Simpsons Duke 2 badger brush, finished with a Swiss Pitralon splash!!

IMO, a nice kit that included some classics, or soon to be classics!!

Someone on here posted a pic, or has it as an avatar, of the older Sean Connery shaving (possibly from Murder on the Orient Express?). He's shaving with a safety razor in his right hand, and using the fingers of his left to push up on his left cheek -- the fingers on the cheekbone. I thought, "Hm!"

I tried stretching the skin that way on the left side of my face this morning, while not doing it on the right. When I came back for the second pass, the right cheek still had something to shear away; but the left was already nearly BBS! A new technique!

M

mtcn77

I went WTG, XTG, XTG, ATG. what order did you end up with, and did you do four passes on your neck?
Well, WTG pass is different on my neck. If I do it vertically, it becomes a a cross grain pass. I do it only when I'm feeling proficient like when I shave right-to-left only on proficient days. Slant razors have their subtleties, just like my face.

I changed the blade today, a lesson well-learned: never push a blade too far.

I slipped when cleaning the blade and the edge hit the cardboard soap cover, again... it seems I don't have enough precautions for such mishaps.

That my ‘71 Gillette TECH is much milder than my Super Speed and, therefore, I really need to focus on my technique with the Super Speed.

That my ‘71 Gillette TECH is much milder than my Super Speed and, therefore, I really need to focus on my technique with the Super Speed.
Wow. I've never used a Tech, but I have two Super Speeds (the older 1948-50, and the newer 1965), and they seem mild as can be. Currently, when I'm not using the SR, I use a 1960 Fatboy. I have it on 1. That seems to be even milder than my Super Speeds.

Feather blades are sharp.
Yes, they are! Definitely need to use a mild razor for those. An adjustable set on 9 would probably be like a potato peeler.

Top Bottom