What's new

What did you learn from your last shave?

I'm so confused. I shaved with my post-war Tech with a steepish (maybe closer to neutral) angle and got an excellent shave. I thought Techs, especially this example, were a shallow angle shaver.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I learnt that my SR edge can bite if I am not careful when waxing its wooden scales. Only a small bite on my thumb but enough to draw blood.

Maybe my SR doesn't love me as much as I love my SR.

I learned yesterday that I missed an important Wet Shaving Commandment:

Thou Shall Not Eat While Shaving.

I got lucky and had one teensy nick, but didn't have my usual great shave.
What profile picture is that😂

And I learned that prorasoneeds a whole lotta more water. And my aggressive lathering is super affective.

What profile picture is that😂

I remember finding it online somewhere but don't recall where. So I did a quick search for it and the first image hit that came up in Google was my own B&B avatar! Kinda cool :001_smile

1580217880039.png

My last shave was #6 with the Astra SP in the Merkur, to experiment to see how many comfy shaves I can get with the blade. I experienced tugging and had one nick, so 5 will definitely be my limit. The alum worked great to stop the bleed and gave me some feedback of irritation on one side of my neck.

I'm so confused. I shaved with my post-war Tech with a steepish (maybe closer to neutral) angle and got an excellent shave. I thought Techs, especially this example, were a shallow angle shaver.
The Techs have a fairly narrow effective angle, but you do not have to ride the cap. The easiest thing to do is just listen as you shave. Note a slight bit of pressure will widen the angle sightly. If you angle too far towards the guard, you won't hear anything and you won't cut anything.

I learned the same thing the OP did. Not to get greedy with a first pass. I just started with a SR, and am still using a DE for cleaning up, but slow is steady and learning the major strokes is really helping.

I used a brand new Feather in my AoS Gillette and didn't nick myself once! I learned go slow, taking my time, and I can get a damn fine shave without shedding blood on a new blade. May sound stupid, but I'm still new at this.

Not my last shave. But during a shave long ago I observed how poorly my bathroom sink had been silicon-caulked in by whatever zombie squad prepared my house for resale to me.

And by poorly, I mean the absence of silicone caulk between the wall and the counter top. At all. Which led me to observe caulking around the door trim not up to my standards.

Shaving is not always a blissful moment of Zen. Sometimes it highlights shoddy craftsmanship.

Top Bottom