What's new

What did you learn from your last shave?

The shave cream/soap matters a lot. I have been experimenting with foamless shave creams, Cremo, Harry's, and Gillette Pure applied by hand. These seem to provide slicker surface but very little cushioning. The result is less irritation, a smoother shave, and a closer shave than most other shave creams whipped up with a brush. It does take extra care with a DE to avoid nicks and weepers but not really a problem with carts. I can get this better result with DE's, Gillette Flexball, and Gillette Sensor.

I learned that soaking your brush in a pool of water compared to simply wetting it under the tap makes a ridiculous difference.

What a rookie ive been all this time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stay away from shaving soap pucks that come with shave kits in the "gifts for Dad" area of department stores. That stuff won't lather no matter how much I whip it with my shaving brush.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
If you want to use a Valet auto-strop razor and find it harsh shaving take in the gap to .007 thousands and it makes a world of difference to a nice shave.

I learned that I could make a good looking bowl lather using barrister and Mann Seville soap with Muhle silvertip fiber brush and captains choice bowl. I also learned that something is wrong when I went to apply it. Went on way to thin. Almost like the brush wasn’t releasing the lather. More like wiping it off with each pass! What could be wrong? It loaded up thick with some good sheen to it.

I found a very good razor combo today using a vintage pre-war Gillete Tech + Razorock Super Knurl handle + fresh Feather blade. I thought the heavier and longer Super Knurl handle would feel unbalanced, but the combo felt more like a Feather AS-D2, for very low cost.

WIN_20191227_14_09_04_Pro (2).jpg

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Some times the most simple thing to do when its cold outside & about to start your shave that can give a person a little pleasure is warm up your lather. I like to place my soap in the bowl first then warm the bowl up and commence then to create my lather for just a nice warm brush painting & splaying on the lather. (nice treat up north in Canada-25 Celsius this morning)
Shaving bowl 3 (2).jpg

Have some great shaves!

I had intermittent success shaving a 1/2in square part of my neck (it's a weirdo cowlicky section) for 4 months going WTG (which meant going away from my Adam's apple just for an inch). I decided to try XTG which meant from collar bone to jaw, a move which I have been afraid to do on account of going that direction the hair growth outside the cowlicky section would be ATG.

Success! It turns out given enough experience and practice, one can change direction if only for a single stroke and the return to previous and have good results.

Moral of the story is to dont be afraid to try a different grip or direction to get that elusive spot.

I learned today with great sadness that safety razor shaving is just not doable for me.
Skin way too sensitive + needing to be clean-shaven every day for work + not so steady hands (essential tremors) = constant irritation and multiple cuts. I can do my head with the DE no prob, but my face is like a war zone [emoji45]

You would think practice makes perfect, but I'm actually getting worse the more I shave, lol.

Maybe I will revisit in a few months, but for now it's back to a double blade disposable.

Top Bottom