What's new

What did you learn from your last shave?

I learned that I get a much closer to BBS shave on the left side of my face than on the right side. I'm naturally left-handed but I don't know if handedness has anything to do with it.

I learned that I get a much closer to BBS shave on the left side of my face than on the right side. I'm naturally left-handed but I don't know if handedness has anything to do with it.
When I first started I found that I got more nicks and burns on my left hand side (left-handed here as well). Perhaps you are skiddish, putting less pressure on the right side after you burn the left?

When I first started I found that I got more nicks and burns on my left hand side (left-handed here as well). Perhaps you are skiddish, putting less pressure on the right side after you burn the left?

That would be a logical assumption but I'm not entirely sure. I'll have to be a bit more observant for the next few shaves.

I learned that my straight razor can really knock off a goatee... I haven't shaved that off in ten years and my blade slid through like a hot knife through butter... And my chin is whiter than the rest of my face lol

I learned to use shorter strokes along my jawline. And that the world doesn't care that my shave time is my time, it'll still knock on the door.

I learned to spend more time lathering certain soaps and to add more water when needed. I had more than enough lather for three passes and the scent really blossomed too.

That Caswell-Massey creams will work fine but don't develop a rich lather and you have to use twice as much as is normal for other creams. Glad I only spent $2 on this. The scent of Greenbrier is very nice.

I learned three things:

1. Personna Reds are still pretty sharp after a few shaves.
2. Checking if a TTO razor has loosened off since the last shave would be a good habit to adopt.
3. If I have already deeply gouged myself once, I should take a moment right then to consider why this has happened, rather than doing this after making a second gouge.

I learned that my simple little '64 Tech is a great razor...

I would be not too disappointed if it were my only one. It works quite well!!

I learned that my new DE razor will shave my goatee right off if I get too close. My old fusion would get stuck before it shaved any of it off.

Stop shaving when it starts going badly. Reevaluate what's going wrong and fix it before I completely shred my neck.

1. That the heft and balance of my Weber PH/Classic is much better than my vintage Gillette's. I have learned that I much prefer
long handles over short - especially like my vintage Black Beauty.
2. I now like to prep with a light coating of Noxzema before applying the lather...

1. Don't shave while you're still nursing a hangover.
2. Bin the newly loaded blade if it tugs, rather than glides.
3. The ability to do No. 2 promptly improves once you obey No. 1.

Short strokes make a difference. The temptation that I have - no doubt coming from my Mach 3 days - is to make the strokes too long. I've realized this does not help maintain proper angle. Short strokes give you the "eye" to keep a good angle and reduce irritation.

Just food for thought.

Short strokes make a difference. The temptation that I have - no doubt coming from my Mach 3 days - is to make the strokes too long. I've realized this does not help maintain proper angle. Short strokes give you the "eye" to keep a good angle and reduce irritation.

Just food for thought.
This.

I actually try and picture gentle scraping as opposed to the Mach3 "squeegee" stroke.

Top Bottom