What's new

What did you learn from your last shave?

Although Rainbow Super Stainless are good blades, I think I preferred them when I tried them last year because back then I was still developing my technique and smooth was more important than sharp.
Now smooth and sharp are equally important, so Rainbow doesn't feel much different to Shark

My old type is a lot more aggressive than the tech I've been using. Lots of irritation and a couple of weepers. ('Twas my first shave with the old)

I have 2;
1.The MMOC is one of the most underrated razors ever.
2.A buddy's birthday is a good opertunity to buy more stuff to save on postage/force your buddy into wetshaving

I have sensitive skin, so I'm to live a life of Derby's, Astra's, etc without much use for a Feather blade at all.
Lesson re-learned after years of wet shaving is DON'T do more than 2 passes with a new blade, ESPECIALLY if you have sensitive skin, ESPECIALLY if it is sharper than your mainstay. Not even, WTG, XTGx2. My face is pissed off right now, lol!!! Didn't do across the grain, just with & cross both ways. I should've known better....was thinking it would be the worst shave because it was the first with the blade, threw the second across the grain in there and yeah. It's getting better, but you should've seen it, lol!!!! No bloodshed, lol, but yeah, just reconfirmed I have sensitive skin and will forever be in that realm lol!
i found the opposite, a heavy razor with a feather can be a god send for sensitive skin....if you leave out the pressure

That maybe - unlike the rest of the world- I should ditch a XTG pass and just do WTG/ATG. That's what I used to do with carts and that's what I did when I started DE to some success. Did it today and got a BBS with no irritation (for once.)

That I could either concentrate on listening to Brexit unfold on the wireless, or concentrate on my shave, but not both.

And given that I was trying my Slim on 7 for the first time, there was blood.

Chinese "bargain" horsehair brush lathers like a pro
Godrej Shaving Round is good soap
Wndrose SP-4 with a Merkur-style head is a good razor
Shark Super Stainless is a good blade
Old Spice Original from India is better than Old Spice Classic from Canada

Nothing new today :lol:

Two things:

1. I learned that a 1920s Gillette Old, coupled with a Personna Med Prep, gives absolutely, fantastic, insane, unbelievable, freakishly BBS shave. Eight hours later, NO stubble, next morning, yeah, I need to shave but, beard is maybe half of what it usually is.

2. Proraso White, for me, is not a preferred product. The scent, which isn't horrible during the shave, lingered most of the day, which IS horrible.

Last edited:
To carefully map the direction of hair growth on your neck. There is a small patch of hair approximately the size of a quarter below my Adam's apple that grows in a different direction than all of the surrounding hair. Now I shave that spot with the grain on the first pass and irritation has been eliminated.

-That thinking MDC is a little overpriced but after trying it for the first time it may be overpriced but thinking it was worth it. Got a shave somewhere between DFS and BBS and definitely enjoyed the shave this morning. The fougere scent is slightly stronger and more woodsy smelling then the SV Felce Aromatica(Fern) scent but it still is a nice scent.

-That after finding a few soaps that work with my sensitive skin now I have the dilemma of which soap to use for each shave.

Top Bottom