What's new

What blade is the WORST for you.....

Mind you, mrscottishman, it's the Indian 7 O'clock I didn't care for. The PPI version was better, though not as good as its Russian stablemates.

The German Wally Wilks are the only other version I've tried aside from the Indian ones mfd by Gillette. I found both of them acceptable only after stropping with cork or Styrofoam; I want 'em good-to-go straight OOB. Plenty of others meet that standard! :thumbup1:

Mind you, mrscottishman, it's the Indian 7 O'clock I didn't care for. The PPI version was better, though not as good as its Russian stablemates.

The German Wally Wilks are the only other version I've tried aside from the Indian ones mfd by Gillette. I found both of them acceptable only after stropping with cork or Styrofoam; I want 'em good-to-go straight OOB. Plenty of others meet that standard! :thumbup1:

I take it then there must be more than one green 7 O'Clock?

That is the problem. With counterfeits, moving a plant from country to country and blades made with the same packaging at different plants who knows what you are using?

No wonder YMMV!
best,
Mrscottishman

I take it then there must be more than one green 7 O'Clock?
Mrscottishman

Yes, there are two varieties of Gillette Green. Indian version says "Permasharp Stainless". The Russian package says "Super Stainless" in the same spot. They are otherwise identical packages. And the blades are not.

I don't know if P&G have decided to phase out one or t'other; I'd heard that might happen and may have already. My first paragraph was definitely operative around a year ago. One of our more knowledgeable posters will prolly read this and let us know the current status. I've been acquiring other brands since the last time I had any Greens at all.

Fellow cut-ups?

For me the worst one is Feather. They give one good shave or two at most. I use Astra SP, Perma-Sharp and Bolzano nowadays.:thumbup1:

This is an amazing thread!

I'm judiciously logging all my daily shaves as I'm new to this and am in experimental phase.

Just over a month in, and oddly, despite a huge popularity, I'm not having luck with Sharks.

T

... despite a huge popularity, I'm not having luck with Sharks.

Hey, you're not supposed to like 'em, so don't worry! :thumbup1:

Consider Derby blades. Almost down the middle go the opinions on that one.

Get sampler packs! You've plenty of choices and some of the ones you like will get you pelted with putrescent fruit when you say so. :biggrin1:

I'm into this for a year and the search is not done. Some of us have decades invested in this. Still trying out the unknown.

Enjoy the trip in good health, mate! The world's your oyster! :thumbup:

Luckily, I haven't had a really unpleasant experience with any blade I've tried. Having said that, I find Bic chromes and, though they are very highly regarded by others, Iridiums to be somewhat lacking. I certainly wouldn't say either one is terrible, I just get better shaves from other blades.

oh yeah, and those damn Dorco's can all burn in hell too!! Both of them, the 300 and 301's, or whatever damn numbers they are! :mad3::mad3::mad3::angry::angry::mad3::mad3:

I got jacked up bad by a Derby a few weeks ago, but I really think it was because of a bad lather so I'm gonna have to try them again. Other than that, I haven't had any real complaints (yet). I've used Walmart's and Walgreen's blades without much fuss.

I've only been at this since January, but ... absolute worst was the Gibbs blade that came with my Gibbs DE razor. (Love that little razor, though.) Worst among the readily available blades was Lord Platinum Class.

Favorite DE blades are Gillette 7 O'clock SharpEdge (a/k/a Yellows), Timor, and Feather. Am about to try a Med Prep Personna for the first time tonight. After that, I have some Souplex blades I want to try.

But the most amazing shaves so far have come from SE razors (GEM 1912 and MMOC) and GEM stainless steel or PAL carbon steel blades.

I've found that Astra is very rough on the face. I'd love to know what is a really good blade. Feather is great, but I've found that it's ultra smooth and sharp for a single shave and then after it functions very averagely, plus it costs triple others. Derby, Personna, Lord, these are all ok but I think there must be better.

I'm ordering some shaving stuff, does anyone have a reccomendation?

The ones they have I haven't tried are the Green 7 o'clock russian gilette, Dorco 301, Treet, black feather.

I'm tempted to go with Lord Platinum, I've found them to be as good as Derby or Personna, and they're ultra cheap, $13 for 100.

Clearly YMMV! Very interesting.

I'm still testing blades but so far the Dorco 301s are the worst. Wilkinson Sword, Nacet Platinum, and 40 year old Personna Precision (USA) are the pits (no wonder I went to cartridges quickly!).

The much maligned Merkur I found quite good. Loved the 7 O'Clock yellows and the Bic Chromes too.

I love SE Feathers for the Valet for the first 2 shaves, then they're trash. Work great, but don't last, but the only game in town for that razor.

In other SE, I have yet to find a blade I don't like if it's made for shaving, I've only tried GEM and Treet.

From what I have sampled, Derbys gave me a harsh shave and left me with a few nicks.

Red Personnas were the best

Last edited:
Top Bottom