What's new

What blade is the WORST for you.....

Definately Dorcos.
I bought a pack at my local supermarket, rebranded as their own Fresh brand, just out of curiosity. They were 1,49€ for ten blades, which is way overpriced, and were hell to use.
I've allready sent the remaining nine to my workshop where they'll have one end gaffered off and spend their days scraping off paint and cutting away bubble wrap.

The only blades I have tossed without using up:

Merkur
Sharp
99 cent Personnas

Wow 99 cent Personnas are in my top 3.

Worst blade for me has been Derby. I can still shave with it, but it is harsh and unpleasant. I kept changing my prep for two weeks, hoping I would find a way to like them. No luck so far.

This thread isn't to slander anyone. We all know results vary from person to person. There are a ton of threads on which is the "Best" blade.....but i'm wondering which blades have given you the worst shave?

For me....These two were pretty much exactly the same. Not sharp IMO and tugged like crazy on my beard. I have a couple of packs of each if anyone wants them. All i ask is for postage.

Derby.
Merkur.

So gents....what blades simply didn't work for YOU?
This is my exact list thus far, tried my first Derby this morning, it is definitely not the right blade for my hair, tugged, yet still wasn't close at all leading to bad angles, buffing, j-hooking, and way too many weepers and nicks for comfort. It was close to as bad a shave as my first ever shave which happened to be with a Merkur.

The worst blade for me is Sputnik (0,32 euros/ 5 blades) inside Wilkinsons plastic SR. Its irritates my skin and doesnt do proper job. :angry:

Last edited:
This thread isn't to slander anyone. We all know results vary from person to person. There are a ton of threads on which is the "Best" blade.....but i'm wondering which blades have given you the worst shave?

For me....These two were pretty much exactly the same. Not sharp IMO and tugged like crazy on my beard. I have a couple of packs of each if anyone wants them. All i ask is for postage.

Derby.
Merkur.

So gents....what blades simply didn't work for YOU?

Ok, so how come all of you haven't (?) reviewed them????:blush:

The worst for me so far, 8 weeks in, has been the 7am Platinum. Wow it pulled so bad I thought it was yanking each hair out instead of cutting them. And I had heard good stuff about it, not for me, I guess this is where the YMMV comes into play.

Feathers.

Not my worst, but I can't use them just the same. I always end up with nicks, cuts and razor burn. My absolute worst are 7 o'clock yellows. Those things turn my face into hamburger! That's for DE blades, for Trac II/Atra carts it's Dorcos...absolutely aweful.....

I've had to say Red Pack Personnas. Used these twice and ended up with all day irritation that would not go away. Merkurs are a close second.

There are over a dozen different blades that I've bought at least ten of, and which find their way into my rotation. My favorite "high end" blades are Iridium and Medical Prep Personna. My go to "cheap" blades are Derby and Shark SS. Of the others (Astra SP, Crystal, Personna Reds, Gillette Sharp Edge, Feather, Merkur, Treet Blue Specials, Wilkinson Sword, Gillette Super Stainless, Shark SP, Super-Max Platinum), I get a decent shave with just about any of them, particularly if paired with the practically bullet-proof 40s Superspeed. There are only two that I'm sure to never buy again. I find the Wilkinson Swords to be harsh and less sharp than the rest. The Merkur blades are the most particular when it comes to the razor I pair it with. They are passable with the SS but I get way too much tugging when used with any open-combed razor. I pulled one out last week after going more than six months since the last time I used one. Again, I found the shave quality to be substandard. I would probably avoid these at $.07/blade (the price of the Shark and Derby blades) but will certainly not buy them again at $.55/blade. The most expensive blade out there shouldn't shave worse than the bargain basement ones.

so far i've tried red personnas, feathers, derby extras, astra SP, and wilkinson swords.

The swords have been the least favorable for me.

Treet Black Beauty-pretty blade, shaves worse than a splintered piece of wood.

Merkur blades- wasteful use of metal.

marty

Without a doubt - Derbys.
I have yet to find a single razor in my collection that will give me a comfortable shave with one of those loaded in it.

I'm primarily a Feather kinda' guy. I guess Derbys are for a whole other kinda face then the one I've got. They drag something awful. Remind me of some of the 'dry' shaves I used to do out in the field when I was in the Marine Corps. Pure misery.

I use the remainder of my 5-pack nowadays to scrape crud off my windshield...so they are not COMPLETELY useless. :lol:

Top Bottom