What's new

What Are You Reading?

+1
This is a good book - probably been a couple decades since I read Huckleberry Finn .. this re-imagining evoked some of the memories but contained new twists. Nice work
I'm really considering picking this one up, though to be honest I'm not sure I've ever read Huckleberry Finn. I should probably read it first...

1716207289942.png

Finished this one last week, forgot to post. Really enjoyed it, though I am curious about something from the text version. This being performed by a full cast, made it evident who was speaking at different times. I'm not sure how that would have come across in the text. Are there times when the speaker is a mystery?

Lord Byron's "Don Juan."

Yesterday marked the 200th anniversary of Byron's death in Greece. I pulled down my ignored Penguin edition of "Don Juan" promising myself to finally read it all straight through.

I did the usual British Romantics course in college, mumble-mumble years ago, and I loved Byron's work. But I left it there. I've lugged "Don Juan" from house to house, never even cracking it open.

I became addicted a few years ago to the wonderful books of Iris Origo, namely her two masterpieces, "The Merchant of Prato" and "War in Val d'Orcia." I wondered what else she had written, so I bought her "The Last Attachment," all about Byron's last great love, Countess Teresa Guiccioli.

That's where the fun began. Hello, BookFinder! I started with Leslie Marchand's three-volume biography, then his 13-volume edition of Byron's letters. Then a book on Byron's convoluted finances, then a newer biography by Fiona McCarthy, lots of other secondary sources. I became thoroughly addicted to the man, and yesterday's sad anniversary seemed the perfect time to finally start reading what I had long circled around, "Don Juan."

In my edition, it's a 500 page epic poem, divided into cantos and stanzas, all in ottava rima. Plus 250 pages of notes. I figure if I manage to read 10 pages a week of the poem, a not unreasonable goal, I should finish it in about a year.

So I am set. I started reading last night, introductions, etc., and finally the poem itself: "I want a hero," it begins. I've found mine.

Any other Byron fans out there? Anyone want to join in my year-long reading project?

--Robert (Vespasian)
I finished Canto One today, 222 stanzas, about 90 pages, sort of on my very loose schedule. I just love it. Funny, sad, moving, it's a poetic tour de force.

I find I am reading each stanza three times: first, to get an idea of what the heck is going on; second, to make sure I understand every word and phrase; the copious notes are a big help; third, a final read for the sheer pleasure of each verse.

Byron has mastered his complicated rhyme and rhythm patterns so well that I just end up being in awe at his knowledge, his wit, and his skill in verse-making.

And the story has just begun. 16-year-old Don Juan has been caught in the bedroom of his married first lover, Donna Julia. He escapes, blood-covered and naked, exiled for his safety from Seville to Cadiz. Donna Julia is immured in a nunnery, whence she writes Dun Juan the saddest letter imaginable.

I can only guess at the pleasures I have before me. What bliss. My buddy said that my equivalent to Baudelaire's "luxe, calme, et volute" is "Byron, baseball, and shrimp pasta." He's right.

--Robert (Vespasian)

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
There must be a re-read movement in progress for The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn based on this discussion I thought I'd pick up the audiobook version - nope, it is an estimated 6 weeks wait at my digital lending library!

You Like It Darker : Stephen King.

I was a huge Stephen King fan in the 70s/80s, but for me he lost the magic in the early 90s and I stopped buying and reading everything he cranked out. Every 10 years or so, something piques my interest and I buy an SK book, but nothing comes close to his 70s/80s works. I never was a short story horror fan to begin with, but I was bored and had read that "Rattlesnakes" was a sort-of sequel to Cujo. I'll save that one until last and post my thoughts when done.

Your Presence is Mandatory by Sasha Vasilyuk.

The rare, readable current fiction that is neither PC nor a view into the inner thoughts of young professionals. Instead it is loaded with believable characters and insight into the reality of Russia since WW II. (they call it The Great Patriotic War)

I keep a copy of Ray “Cool-Cat” Martin’s book in Car, 99 Critical Shots in Pool.

Never tired of reading it.

Getting ready to reread, Dave Hackworth’s, ABOUT FACE. Great read at 900 pages.

Top Bottom