What's new

What Are You Reading?

Yep, very different to read something and see it at times. For instance I was fine reading Schindler's List yet had a visceral reaction to the film.

proxy.php

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Wow, I just looked it up and see that it's a Pulitzer Prize winner as well. Another one added to the old reading list as a result of visiting this thread.....
Just through his early life to the age age of 25 or so. What an interesting fellow

As someone who knew people with numbers tattooed on their firearms, it was a powerful film.

An rather unfortunate typo, for around fifteen seconds I was sitting here thinking huh? Then I realised what you meant. Well, I'm not sure it's okay to say this here, but had my grandparents not left Poland in '27 we wouldn't be having this conversation. Other than a few we know of, distant relations that is, all of them perished.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
An rather unfortunate typo, for around fifteen seconds I was sitting here thinking huh? Then I realised what you meant. Well, I'm not sure it's okay to say this here, but had my grandparents not left Poland in '27 we wouldn't be having this conversation. Other than a few we know of, distant relations that is, all of them perished.
A dark chapter in our history I am glad you’re here

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Oops, “forearms” was meant, but you figured that out. Sorry.

This book was published 30 years ago so not exactly current. As a student of (and participant in) the Cold War and having a morbid fascination with nuclear weapons, this was an excellent read. Now that I live in New Mexico and, in the past, had flown helicopters in Colorado and Wyoming, the premise of the book was very personal.
70822810-EA4D-4402-A366-CC5AB687AC4A.jpeg

I finished Stephen King’s ‘Later’ today. As always, a very enjoyable read that I couldn’t put down. I’ll say that it was a bit predictable with the exception of a twist at the end, so not his best IMHO.

I need to figure out what to read next.

Since the 90s I've read almost all of Raymond E. Feist's novels across several series that are connected over many generations. I've read more "mature" high fantasy lately but decided to go back to Midkemia and read these all again, along with the few newest ones I haven't read. It's not as sophisticated and in depth as some of the best from Brandon Sanderson or others but they are very fun to read. They're among my favorites of all time. Magician: Apprentice and Magician: Master are where one should start.
1625539118010.png

Since the 90s I've read almost all of Raymond E. Feist's novels across several series that are connected over many generations. I've read more "mature" high fantasy lately but decided to go back to Midkemia and read these all again, along with the few newest ones I haven't read. It's not as sophisticated and in depth as some of the best from Brandon Sanderson or others but they are very fun to read. They're among my favorites of all time. Magician: Apprentice and Magician: Master are where one should start.
View attachment 1292517

I can't even remember how long it's been since I've read those, a guy who I worked with recommended them. Here's one for you, that sort of fits the genre: Marion Zimmer Bradley's The House Between The Worlds. Gist of it is a guy from Earth stumbles onto a gateway to different worlds, focussing on one where the Orcs were warring upon the Elvish folk.

I can't even remember how long it's been since I've read those, a guy who I worked with recommended them. Here's one for you, that sort of fits the genre: Marion Zimmer Bradley's The House Between The Worlds. Gist of it is a guy from Earth stumbles onto a gateway to different worlds, focussing on one where the Orcs were warring upon the Elvish folk.
It sounds interesting. I did a quick search and it seems a more contemporary fantasy style but people seem to like it. I'll try to check it out!

Top Bottom