What's new

What Are You Reading?

JWCowboy

Probably not Al Bundy
I grew interested in this legendary Texas attorney after listening to the first episoide of Tyler Mahan Coe's excellent country music history podcast "Cocaine & Rhinestones"

1624933611011.png

So I found this out of print book in our local library system and I've really enjoyed it.

JWCowboy

Probably not Al Bundy
Has anyone read American Prometheus: The Triumph and Tragedy of J. Robert Oppenheimer? Thinking of downloading it on payday

Wow, I just looked it up and see that it's a Pulitzer Prize winner as well. Another one added to the old reading list as a result of visiting this thread.....

Messygoon

Abandoned By Gypsies.
I've had this one on my "to read" shelf of my home library for ever. Have greatly enjoyed several others by Ambrose. I share a birthday with him, which is probably a silly reason to like someone, but I've always appreciated him as a historian/author.
+1. On my short list as well. Audiobook is now placed on my account’s hold at the local library.

JWCowboy

Probably not Al Bundy
Any insight in to that podcast?

I really like it. He's David Allan Coe's son, and lives in your area. (you're near Nashville, right? FWIW it's my hometown. Born and raised and lived there until I was 28)

I discovered it through this article.

First season has a variety of good episodes. My favorites thus far are the ones on The Louvin Brothers and The Judds. Haven't listened to the second season yet but it's supposed to be entirely dedicated to George Jones.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I really like it. He's David Allan Coe's son, and lives in your area. (you're near Nashville, right? FWIW it's my hometown. Born and raised and lived there until I was 28)

I discovered it through this article.

First season has a variety of good episodes. My favorites thus far are the ones on The Louvin Brothers and The Judds. Haven't listened to the second season yet but it's supposed to be entirely dedicated to George Jones.

Sweet! Thanks!

Picked up Vanity Fair again. I got about half way through a couple of years ago, but put it down (can't remember why). Anyway, it was easy to get back into, and I am enjoying it.

Re-reading for the fifth or sixth time Neil Gaiman's American Gods. One of the most lyrical novelists I've ever encountered. Like Murakami, he can write narrative where nothing happens and you're still enthralled.

1625027219314.png

I've just finished re-reading Steven Saylor's Roma Sub Rosa series, featuring Gordianus the Finder. I like to read before I try to sleep but I usually don't want anything that I might get too into as I sleep pretty rubbish at the best of times. I had forgotten the first book was originally published in 1991. Great historical detail if that's of interest. Roman Blood I find a bit slow but by about 3 or 4 Saylor and the Finder hit their stride.

Top Bottom