What's new

What Are You Reading?

Nothing Like it in the World: The Men Who Built the Transcontinental Railroad 1863-1869. I'm only about a hundred pages in, but pretty good so far. It is doing my soul some good to read about how our country came together to work towards some common purpose. Imagine that.

I had heard great things about Marlon James' Black Leopard, Red Wolf, and the premise sounded interesting, but after 67 pages I had to abandon it. The prose was tedious and read like a riddle, which made the book feel more like a chore than anything. I hate not finishing books, but life is too short, and my unread pile too tall, to endure a book that doesn't grab me in 50 pages.
I don’t know if I hate not finishing books, am a sadist who loves a challenge, or if the book had just taken root in my brain, but I ended up picking it back up 24 hours later and miraculously, it started to get better. I’m not a total convert, but I’m going to keep chipping away and we’ll see if I don’t come around.

Stories You Can't Unread by Chuck Palahniuk. If you're a fan this is a delight. If you have a weak stomach, skip Cannibal. That one took me three nights of reading a few lines and putting it down.

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
At this very moment, "Miracle Cure" by Michael Palmer--a summer confection. Too many others in progress to list.

I liked Fight Club. "I" anyway!
funny! I have read a lot of his stuff (my youngest daughter is a fan and we trade books). Haunted is my personal favorite but Diary is the one I can see being made into a movie. It's very cinematic, just like Fight Club was.

No is not enough by Naomi Klein. Always been a huge fan, and this again is a solid read.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
Just finished John Sandford's "Field of Prey" and am now starting his "Twisted Prey." Also, I'm close to finishing "Moby Dick" for a book club. Plus I'm editing a book for someone, so I suppose that counts as reading, too (though I cannot say much more, save for that I'm blessed--as the author is a good writer).

I had trouble getting into Neuromancer, so I'll try again when I'm in a more agreeable disposition. Now reading The Sisters Brothers and it is fantastic.

Top Bottom