What's new

What Are You Reading?

I did not manage to finish his MacBeth either. I think I can say the thing re Headhunters. I really like his Harry Hole books though.

Kilroy6644

Smoking a corn dog in aviators and a top hat
I finally finished "The Hunchback of Notre-Dame." Took me way too long. In the end I think it was worth reading, but I don't think Victor Hugo's an author I'll be seeking more of.

I recently bought John Le Carré's "Legacy of Spies," and I was going to read that next, but since it looks back at earlier books, I'm revisiting "The Spy Who Came In From The Cold" first. Have to break in the new copy anyway.

proxy.php

I finally finished "The Hunchback of Notre-Dame." Took me way too long. In the end I think it was worth reading, but I don't think Victor Hugo's an author I'll be seeking more of.

I recently bought John Le Carré's "Legacy of Spies," and I was going to read that next, but since it looks back at earlier books, I'm revisiting "The Spy Who Came In From The Cold" first. Have to break in the new copy anyway.

Sometimes new books need the Neatsfoot oil treatment like baseball gloves.

I just finished Jo Nesbo's The Knife. Although largely favorable, the reviews have been mixed and this book is no doubt a departure to some extent from previous Harry Hole books. Longer. More elaborate. Slower. More developed. More characters. Plots within plots. I thought it was excellent. I relished all of those factors, although going in Nesbo was one of my favorite writers.

Helps confirm my thinking that much of the absolute best fiction writing these days in in mysteries. A corollary to my thinking that much of the best nonfiction writing these days is, at least ostensibly, sports.

Polished off the first two books of The Murderbot Diaries, All Systems Red and Artificial Condition. The first one was good, the second one was great. Currently giving the young adult novel, Cinder, a try. It's better than I expected.

Reading the Baker Street Irregulars by Anthony Boucher. I'm about halfway through and it's incredibly witty, very different from what I was expecting and makes me want to learn more about the composition of the Irregulars during the late 1930's and early 1940's (it's about the American Sherlock Holmes appreciation society, but also a murder mystery with loads of Holmesian references). I had the immense fortune to meet Otto Penzler about 30 years ago (a member of the Irregulars) and his enthusiasm for Holmes strengthened my appreciation. This novel is definitely a love letter to that wonderful society.

The McGee series is excellent. I have only read about 1/2 dozen of them, but I've enjoyed every one.

I have read the first two and am working on #3 right now. Most suggestions say read them in order.
The thing I don't like is the settings aren't always south Florida. "Pink" was in New York. "Purple" is somewhere out west.

I have read the first two and am working on #3 right now. Most suggestions say read them in order.
The thing I don't like is the settings aren't always south Florida. "Pink" was in New York. "Purple" is somewhere out west.
I read them completely out of order. There is an excellent movie version of Darker than Amber with Rod Taylor that can be watched in its entirety on YouTube. Terrible picture quality, but one heck of a fight scene.

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
The McGee series is excellent. I have only read about 1/2 dozen of them, but I've enjoyed every one.
Read 'em all years ago. May be time to revisit The Busted Flush myself, and see what's happening over at the Alabama Tiger's.

Reading Farewell My Lovely by Raymond Chandler in hard copy.....the guy is so good. No pussyfooting around. He just jumps right into the story.

I’m also listening to NK Jemisin’s The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms, Book one of her Inheritance Trilogy, on audio. This was her first series, before the Broken Earth trilogy that won her a ton of awards and I finished earlier this year. She’s good...damn good.

Top Bottom