What's new

What Are You Reading?

shavefan

I’m not a fan
I don't know if it counts since it was an audiobook, but I recently finished Jonathan Haidt's and Greg Lukanioff's The Coddling of the American Mind. It won't ever land on a list of my favorites, but it's good information.

I read it recently, I thought it was pretty interesting

shavefan

I’m not a fan
I'm a big fan of Haidt's and think that this book, while not something that I would describe as an entertaining read, is beneficial to anyone, regardless of where they may lie on the political spectrum.

Agree.

I have to admit that lately my reading and general quest for knowledge has landed me in the midst of the IDW. I didn't know what the "IDW" was 6 mos ago, but I find myself drawn to the discussions and am fascinated with how society is shaped and changes. To me, characters like Haidt and many of his ilk seem to act as the adults in the room, measured and thoughtful (not screaming and "hair on fire"). Even so, do find the subjects entertaining, I guess it depends on your outlook & expectations. To me their discourse is on society in general, not politics, for the most part. Which in itself is refreshing.

Just finished "Astrophysics for People in a Hurry by Neil deGrasse Tyson

Started "The Silent Corner: A Novel of Suspense" by Dean Koontz last night

The Bogleheads' Guide to the Three Fund Portfolio

IMG_1422.JPG

Agree.

I have to admit that lately my reading and general quest for knowledge has landed me in the midst of the IDW. I didn't know what the "IDW" was 6 mos ago, but I find myself drawn to the discussions and am fascinated with how society is shaped and changes. To me, characters like Haidt and many of his ilk seem to act as the adults in the room, measured and thoughtful (not screaming and "hair on fire"). Even so, do find the subjects entertaining, I guess it depends on your outlook & expectations. To me their discourse is on society in general, not politics, for the most part. Which in itself is refreshing.
I've been increasingly becoming more and more invested in the Heterodox Academy over the last year or two. I didn't even hear about the controversy surrounding Evergreen State College until earlier this year and have since been hunting down interviews with Bret Weinstein and Heather Heyering, two refreshingly thoughtful and reasonable people. There's a good pseudo-documentary about the Evergreen mess, told in three parts, that I recommend.

shavefan

I’m not a fan
'Trading for a Living' by Alexander Elder.

I haven't read that one but a friend of mine that trades literally for a living recommended it. Psychology is a huge part of trading successfully and Trading In The Zone, by Mark Douglas is another excellent book in that regard.

Last edited:
The Hunt for Red October- Tom Clancy

I haven't read this book in at least 20 years and I forgot how good it is; hard to believe this was his first book.

I had heard great things about Marlon James' Black Leopard, Red Wolf, and the premise sounded interesting, but after 67 pages I had to abandon it. The prose was tedious and read like a riddle, which made the book feel more like a chore than anything. I hate not finishing books, but life is too short, and my unread pile too tall, to endure a book that doesn't grab me in 50 pages.

Top Bottom