What's new

What Are You Reading?

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Finished Lord Of The Flies - I wasn’t that impressed. Kinda boring through the first half and picks up a bit at the end. I can see why everyone in school reads it and does reports and whatnot. It’s got a real mental aspect to it, meaning you can question a lot of the kids actions and mental well being very easily. There can be a lot to discuss with it. But for me....meh

Moving on to Larry McMurtry: The Last Kind Words Saloon.
Then I think I’ll finally start the LOTR books. I keep putting them off cause they will take some time.

Then I think I’ll finally start the LOTR books. I keep putting them off cause they will take some time.

I think I blew thru LOTR in 2 days the first time I read it in the summer of 1965 or 66. LOTR is one of my most read and favorite books over the years behind The Count of Monte Cristo, Dracula and Sherlock Holmes collection. I can't remember how many paperbacks and hardcovers of LOTR I've read over the years. Currently, I only have 1 slipcovered (3 hardcover) edition of LOTR on my shelf, whereas I must have 10-12 different editions of Monte Cristo (because no two English versions are the same) and 3 editions of Dracula and 3 editions of the complete Sherlock Holmes, including annotated. I seem to have a problem when it comes to certain books.

I just finished Out Banks Mysteries and Seaside Stories by Charles Whedbee. He wrote a half dozen books along these lines, and I've read three of them now.

One of my favorite authors, Michael Reisig, just released the 10th book in his Road to Key West series. I have it set on my Kindle to take on vacation next week along with Peter Benchley's The Deep. I am also going to take along Deep Blue Goodbye, the first book in the Travis McGee series by John MacDonald.

The week I read
Ethan Frome by Edith Wharton,
The Good Rat by Jimmy Breslin, and
Beautiful Crescent: A History of New Orleans

I just cracked La Passione: How Italy Seduced the World by Dianne Hales.

I'm reading Hag-Seed by Margaret Atwood. It is her re-telling of Shakespeare's The Tempest, part of a series of re-writes by Hogarth Press to reimagine his works in the eyes of contemporary authors.

@The Knize This is an interesting memoir about Bukowski and his relationship with Pam "Cupcakes" Wood. This relationship had some effect on the life of this couple. I love poetry, stories and novels by Bukowski. I have in my collection everything that has been translated from English so far and published in Poland.

Wysłane z mojego SM-A510F przy użyciu Tapatalka

I just started book 4, Tricked, so your insights are well timed
I just finished re-reading the entire series, including the finale and the Oberon books. My assessment stands. The first half is really good, the second half is still pretty good, but I love the Oberon books. They're hilarious.

Right now, I'm reading Thou Shall Prosper for my personal education, and Leadership and Self-Deception for a church leadership course I'm getting ready to start.

@The Knize This is an interesting memoir about Bukowski and his relationship with Pam "Cupcakes" Wood. This relationship had some effect on the life of this couple. I love poetry, stories and novels by Bukowski. I have in my collection everything that has been translated from English so far and published in Poland.

Wysłane z mojego SM-A510F przy użyciu Tapatalka

I hope most of it has been translated. He is a worthy read. I understand that he has been taken more seriously from a literary study perspective in Europe than in the States. Manly writer, I suppose. I do not think I would have wanted to live with him. I guess one could say that about a lot of authors, including folks like Hemingway. A real product of his times.

Giles Milton. Soldier, Sailor, Frogman, Spy... (about the Allied D-Day invasion)

IMG_1410.JPG

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I suspect that Lord of the Flies seems dated these days.

I was not aware it was written in the 50’s when I started it. It was clear after a few chapters in that it was British written. But I don’t recall much in the book that would date it 1950’s. I don’t get the hype (if there is any, anymore). I never went to school long enough to have to read it.

I don't know if it counts since it was an audiobook, but I recently finished Jonathan Haidt's and Greg Lukanioff's The Coddling of the American Mind. It won't ever land on a list of my favorites, but it's good information.

Top Bottom