What's new

What A Bunch of SchickHeads!!! (Lovers of Schick Razors!)

Just used my Schick Krona (cost me $4 on Ebay) for the first time this morning
Very impressed with this cheapy little razor - needs an aggressive blade I think

Anyone every try one of these?

Very impressed with this cheapy little razor - needs an aggressive blade I think

Yep; it's a nice, mild razor like the Gillette Tech or 40's-style Super Speed. Hmm, maybe it's time to try mine again!

They work great with a Personna Medical, Astra SP and Rapira in the Pink/Blue/Black pack.

I am really coming to appreciate injector razors. My first was a Type G, which has always worked well for me. It especially excels at shaving my upper lip, which has been a challenge for me with DE razors. Then I bought a Type M Adjustable on B/ S/T, but it didn't cut any hair at first. After researching on B&B, I found out that it would work well with a different brand of blades. Recently, I bought a Hydro-magic on the Bay. It cut me the first shave, but I examined it and found the head was bent and wasn't holding the blade straight. I bent it back into shape and hope to find it shaves just as well as my other Schicks. And to think, if not for B&B, I wouldn't even have thought to try these razors.

I have a G3, but I've never used it. I have some blades coming, and one worry before I load it up: the head seems a little loose. It doesn't wiggle side to side at all, but it will move forward a hair if you pull on the handle. I'm tempted to shoot a little thin Zap CA in there to firm it up but I don't want to mar it. Any suggestions on how to fix it, or does it even need fixing?

Axebreaker, if the movement is minimal I think inserting the blade can eliminate the problem, I would try this first. If that doesn't work use some needle-nose pliers and put some pressure on the round spring under the head by gripping it in the middle and using a small amount of upward pressure toward the head.

First shave with a Hydromagic yesterday after picking up some Chi-Schick blades locally. I'd used an I2 before and liked it, but this was an amazing shave. Almost as good as my Cobra Classic. It might be jumping the gun a bit, but I bet I'd be happy with just the Hydromagic and CC...and the 1912.

More money for SBAD/SSAD.

The looseness is between the head and handle, the head itself has a blank in it and seems fine. If I held the razor by the head it would be no issue at all but I'd like to use the handle.

EDIT: I just ran it over my face a few times and it seems like it would be fine to shave with, and won't hurt the razor so long as I don't fidget with it too much.

Last edited:
I have a Schick injector that I don't know which model it is but I've had it for a while but never shaved with it since I never got my hands on any blades :001_unsur
How do I look up what model it is?

First shave with a Hydromagic yesterday after picking up some Chi-Schick blades locally. I'd used an I2 before and liked it, but this was an amazing shave. Almost as good as my Cobra Classic. It might be jumping the gun a bit, but I bet I'd be happy with just the Hydromagic and CC...and the 1912.

More money for SBAD/SSAD.

Craig, I had the same experience with my Hydro-magic today, a great first shave. Not sure if I'm ready to give up all my DE razors, but I have three Schick injectors and all give me excellent shaves with little effort. In fact, they do a better job on my upper lip than DE razors ever have.

I bought mine off Amazon. Some guy must have a good stash who sells them. I haven't checked lately but I would check there first. They are also frequently on the Bay.

The only other injectors blades I've used were NOS Schick Plus Platinums which were very good. I own some new Personnas but have not used them yet. I've heard the Chinese blades are decent and they have better cartridges than new Personnas.

I have a variety of different "model" Schicks and to be honest they are all exceptional shavers and do not get the attention they deserve here. Probably not sexy enough. Anyway, I purchased a couple of packs of the 74* from that amazon seller and honestly do not find them all that great, just my opinion. I also got hold of about 15 7-blade NOS Plus Platinum cartridges from an ebay seller who allegedly got them from a former Schick employee in CT. Nice shaves, almost as many as the 74* but easier on my face. The absolute best shaves come from the NOS Schick KRONA Comfort blades I found here and there. If there was a way to stock up on them I would in a heartbeat.

There you have it, my $.02.

Mike

I have a variety of different "model" Schicks and to be honest they are all exceptional shavers and do not get the attention they deserve here. Probably not sexy enough. Anyway, I purchased a couple of packs of the 74* from that amazon seller and honestly do not find them all that great, just my opinion. I also got hold of about 15 7-blade NOS Plus Platinum cartridges from an ebay seller who allegedly got them from a former Schick employee in CT. Nice shaves, almost as many as the 74* but easier on my face. The absolute best shaves come from the NOS Schick KRONA Comfort blades I found here and there. If there was a way to stock up on them I would in a heartbeat.

Mike
Best Scick blades I have found:
1-NOS Personna SS coated
2-P74 blades off Amazon
3-Schick Platinum coated SS
4-Chinese Schicks
Have not tried the new Personnas from the Med supply places yet-but I plan to.

... Anyway, I purchased a couple of packs of the 74* from that amazon seller and honestly do not find them all that great, just my opinion. I also got hold of about 15 7-blade NOS Plus Platinum cartridges ... Nice shaves, almost as many as the 74* but easier on my face. The absolute best shaves come from the NOS Schick KRONA Comfort blades I found here and there. If there was a way to stock up on them I would in a heartbeat.

Mike

I agree with your assessment of the NOS 74s, I would always wind up with a bit of irritation after my shave, after 25 shaves I gave up on them. My favorite NOS so far is the NOS Plus Platinum's, I had 33 comfortable two-pass + touch-up shaves without any irritation or burn, I find them to hold their edge well and thought they were very smooth.

I haven't tried the NOS Krona Blade and I just finished an NOS Gillette injector blade, and had 15 comfortable 2 pass shaves and find them at least as smooth as the Chicks. I probably could have gotten more, but wanted to test a current production Personna blades, the Cartridge came with the Metal Tab, 20 Blades in the dispenser. My first shave today was on a four day growth, I did my normal two-pass without touch-up and received a DFS, no irritation, skipping or tugging, the blade was quite sharp, not as smooth as the NOS Pluses but it was comfortable.

I plan on ordering these as a back-up to my NOS inventory since they seem to be getting harder to find at acceptable prices.

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
I can be a Schick head, I will use an injector once in a while, but I love my Krona.

Top Bottom