What's new

Feather Artist Club razor?

I have ZERO experience with a straight razor and don't know anyone who does so, I probably need one with "training wheels"!
:straight:

I normally use a Schick Injector or Yaqi Excalibur AC. I'm thinking a Feather Artist Club model might be a good option. I'm not sure if this is what is referred to as a "Shavette" but, random references suggest that is a different blade style.

I am pretty sure I don't want to manually strop a traditional straight being a knife knutt with lots of experience with water stones and similar stuff. This has me thinking an AC 'straight' that uses a blade in common with my daily single edge is a reasonable move.

Unfortunately, what I have found online isn't very detailed and is mostly a general "works great" and similar thoughts. So, .....

Apparently, there are three basic model variations which seem to be sort of like choosing a DE blade gap and exposure option. Handle materials are easy to choose but, what about the differences in the razors themselves and what may be better for a straight razor novice?

TIA,
Sid

Last edited:
The Feather website had drawings of the head-on profiles that demonstrate the differences. The DX is probably closer to a traditional straight. The SS has a notable "bump" or lip near the edge that serves to stretch the skin a little, kind of like a safety bar on a DE but in reverse. It also forces you to use a slightly higher shave angle. The SR is somewhere in the middle. As far as blade choices there aren't that many. Pro Supers will have a bit more exposure, Lights will have less, and the Pro and Proguards are in the middle. Kai and Schick also make AC blades which I believe are the same width as the Pro.

I've only used Feather Pros and Kai Milds in a DX clone. The Feathers are sharper but a little harsher, the Kais are very smooth but not as sharp. I've heard that Proguards provide a good balance of sharp and smooth.

I've seen listings on ebay lately for new Feather AC razors at very good prices, compared to elsewhere.

For what it's worth I prefer to use as low an angle as possible with these kind of razors, so my own preference would lean toward a DX or SR. But the SS probably more of an "autopilot" design since the angle is more or less determined by the head shape.

Sounds like the SR might be the sweet spot for someone with a little experience. The SS is probably the best one for a user needing 'training wheels'! 🙂
The SR is a good option in my opinion. For extra safety you can also pair with a proguard feather blade.
The SS needs a steeper angle of attack due to the large lip. I have both, and I don't use the ss due to the shaving angle you need to use.

Sounds like the SR might be the sweet spot for someone with a little experience. The SS is probably the best one for a user needing 'training wheels'! 🙂

I have all three, and find the SS to be a very comfortable and capable shaver, regardless of experience. I still use mine often, and am happy to keep it in the rotation with the SR and DX.

All I'm saying is:

Don't write off the SS as a "beginner razor".

I don't think you would be disappointed with any of the three...and the Kai Kasho Captian is another fine razor.

Good luck. 🙂👍

Thanks everyone! I have a couple DE razors that work best riding the safety bar/comb versus the top cap. Sounds like mainly a technique difference with possibly a need to tweak the blade choice for an optimal shave experience.

Pictures for reference~
Feather Artist Club Razor
Maybe old DX version,.
20231209-1.jpg

content_a2d5a498-739d-45c4-a1ea-0741c59b98d1.jpg

content_3ca06661-35ca-4ebe-8b6a-c545c7e4e0b1.jpg

Feather Blades
artist club blade specifications.jpg

I have ZERO experience with a straight razor and don't know anyone who does so, I probably need one with "training wheels"!
:straight:

I normally use a Schick Injector or Yaqi Excalibur AC. I'm thinking a Feather Artist Club model might be a good option. I'm not sure if this is what is referred to as a "Shavette" but, random references suggest that is a different blade style.

I am pretty sure I don't want to manually strop a traditional straight being a knife knutt with lots of experience with water stones and similar stuff. This has me thinking an AC 'straight' that uses a blade in common with my daily single edge is a reasonable move.

Unfortunately, what I have found online isn't very detailed and is mostly a general "works great" and similar thoughts. So, .....

Apparently, there are three basic model variations which seem to be sort of like choosing a DE blade gap and exposure option. Handle materials are easy to choose but, what about the differences in the razors themselves and what may be better for a straight razor novice?

TIA,
Sid
I have a ton of experience with Feather shavettes so I think I can guide you.

Begin with the least aggressive blades. These are the Dorco. They feel just like a traditional straight and give a great shave. Feather AC blades are extremely aggressive and if you try to learn to shave with these you may be lucky if you live. They are fantastic, but are a small step away from shaving with a chain saw in terms of aggression. Feather AC blades are the sharpest and smoothest by far. So work up to them gradually.

Good luck with that!!

I started my SR journey with a Feather AC SR Kamisori paired with ProGaurd blades. I really enjoyed using it and it was a quick learner and pretty "safe" with the ProGaurd blades. I then went out and bought a western style Ralf Aust. I wasn't a fan due to its size. At the time I was trying to navigate my way around my horseshoe mustache. I ended up giving that one to a friend. Then I bought a Dovo Barbarossa. I liked the smaller head but was not at all liking the western style SR. I went back to my AC and again enjoyed using a SR. I finally acquired a kamisori with a western grind and really enjoy it.
That all said, I think that if you are interested in SR's an AC is a great way to dip your toes in. Paired with a ProGaurd blade, you should be well on your way to SR shaving.

Looks like you found the Feather AC being sold on the BST. Nice deal for that razor.

Yep! I was looking at his other razors and added that one! Should let me figure out if a straight razor is a good match for me. If not, I can pass it along at a fair price for both of us.

The Feather SR though looks like a good option for me if one turns up at a good price. With the Feather Pro blades though, most of the differences are likely muted.

The Feather SR though looks like a good option for me if one turns up at a good price. With the Feather Pro blades though, most of the differences are likely muted.

I concur with that conclusion.
I have all three, and the SR that was only introduced recently seems to combine the best of the DX and SS (including the lower price of the SS).

For the first two or three shaves Feather AC blades can be quite harsh.
Google ‘palm stropping’; it is not as dangerous as it may sound and ‘tames’ the blades quite nicely.

B.

Either the SR or DX is good. Best deal is to buy from a Japan based seller on eBay. About half the price. You will have to wait a couple weeks for delivery. A good starter blade is the Kai Protouch MG. You can make mistakes in technique and live to tell the tale.

The Kai Captain Standard razor (folding or kamisori) is a good razor. It has a slimmer profile than the Feather DX and a coating to help it not stick to your face.

Amazon has good prices on the Feather DX wood handle last time I checked. They may have good prices on other models. The DX with wood handle has a really nice heft to it.

The Feather 'SR' AC razors are also good. They also have a coating to help them not stick to your face and the profile sits between the SS and DX models.

The original Kai Captain blade is very sharp but smooth. I believe the Kai ProTouch MG is the Kai Captain blade with a guard on it as the ProTouch is smoother than the Kai Titan Milds.

I tried most of the Feather AC blades but found the Kai blades to be smoother for my face.

Jatai International usually has decent discounts on the Feather razors for Black Friday.

The CJB Kamisori is not a bad place to start. It is based on the Feather RG that is no longer made.

Schick P-30 blades can be nice in the right razor.

What ever razor you decide to buy, try it out on your face without a blade so you can learn the best way to hold the razor for different parts of your face. Go ahead and lather up if you like when you do it. That way you don't risk getting cut while you try to figure out the angles.

Last edited:
After shaving with a Feather AC, first and for many years an RG which is similar to a DX and having bought a few months ago a DX wood handle at a deep Amazon discount of $130, I would recommend buying a DX either in Pearl or Wood. The DX and formerly the RG, are the closest to true straight razor shaving than the other Feather straight razors.

Top Bottom