What's new

West Coast Canadian Pass-around Box

Tried the Red leaf Firewood ASB. It smells fairly strong for about an hour and fades quickly thereafter but has great moisturizing qualities if you enjoy smelling like a fire after your shave. I enjoyed it. I went at the Pinaud Clubman again and reaffirmed it needs to be added to my arsenal. Great smell. Manly Barbershop with a tinge of cinnamon/cloves. Next shave likely by Sunday. It's been a hussle lately.

Last edited:
I didn't get a chance to shave today but will get one in tomorrow. I will ship the box to Pepin on Monday.

I've taken out about 9 samples along with a Bic (loaded up for tomorrow), GSB and Nacet blade along with the other blades I reviewed.

I've added two tucks of blades and two chunks of Cella Extra Extra Purmissa.

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1426981206.001190.jpg

Last edited:
Shave #3 -
Razor - Gillette Aristocrat Deluxe
Blade - Bic (1)
Soap - Queen Charlotte Esquire
Brush - Semogue 610
Aftershave - Alum, Thayer's Rose Witch Hazel, Nivea Sensitive ASB

The Queen Charlotte Esquire is an excellent soap. It has a sandalwood scent with a tinge of citrus. It has a Cella like texture and provided excellent cushion and coverage. I learned the soap has both Tallow and Lanolin. In many ways it reminded me of Cyril Salter Sandalwood cream.

The Bic was a unique blade. It seemed to be smooth but sometimes would stall or get stuck. I found this when going XTG from ear to nose and gently pulled through it. I thought this would result in a cut or burn but it actually didn't. This was a truly strange experience and I wonder if it will repeat when I use it for my next shave. All in all I liked the blade as it left me with a DFS although my cheek bones are a bit rougher than I'd appreciate. Alum didn't react or burn at all.

Scent of soap and ASB seems to have faded after 3 hours.

After trying several soaps/creams in both boxes I will give the Cyril Salter Sandalwood and Queen Charlotte Esquire the prize for my box favorites. I still have a bunch of almond size samples to try and will report back if I am swayed.

Clubman Pinaud gets the nod on the aftershave front.

Blade winner Precision Stainless (Red IP/Crystal equivalent).

On the razor front I greatly enjoyed the SE Gem Clog Pruf and may grab one up although I'm hesitant to share my SE time with anyone but my 1924 Ever Ready Shovelhead. I have a NEW LC so I will give it the DE nod.

I will ship the box out tomorrow afternoon to Pepin. See previous post for the ol' in/out.

Thanks again for all those who participated, contributed and especially those that started these boxes out. It's been an excellent experience and has expanded my joy of shaving. I will be working some of my favorites into my den shortly.

Last edited:
Came home tonight, and the box had arrived .... wow!
No kidding that it is the soap/cream box. It will be hard to select 7 to try out over the next week.

I did try lathering a little bit of the TOBS Grapefruit, nice smell, and lather .... but I had a re-action to it, a stinging sensation on my face.

First cream/soap that I have had a re-action to :001_huh:.

Thinking of trying the Cella tomorrow morning. Will post my review then.

Do I ship the the box to SteveTheCanuck in a week?

Here are a few pictures of what was in the box. Not sure how it was all put in.

$March 2015 West Coast PIF 007.jpg$March 2015 West Coast PIF 002.jpg$March 2015 West Coast PIF 004.jpg$March 2015 West Coast PIF 005.jpg$March 2015 West Coast PIF 006.jpg

Review of day one later tonight.

Day One:

It was hard to choose with such a large variety of products to try. Never heard of many of the brands.

Soap: Barbus
This is a soft soap from the Czechoslovakian Republic. I pasted a bit on the bottom of my shave bowl. It lathers very easily, and makes a nice dense lather. I had a very good shave with it, but it was not as slick as the lather I have been getting from my GFT soaps, but for a first time lather it was great. Over time I would get the amount of water correct. The scent is very nice, to me it seemed like a classic cologne, with a hint of coconut. I would pick up this product if possible.

Brush: My B&B omega boar.

Blade: Gillette Nacet.
First time trying this brand of blade. First impression, was that it is a middle of the road blade. sharp but not overly so. A good shave, but did not feel as comfortable as some of the other blades I have tried. I will see how it shaves over a couple of days.

Razor: One of my open combs, a Gillette New.

Aftershave: Brutal
I used the Brutal by Miraculum. It is a Polish aftershave. The scent pairs very nicely with the soap I used. They are both spicy fragrances, with a hint of herbs. The scent lasted a couple of hours on me. A European end of the week shave. I would pick up this aftershave if I could get it easily.

Day Two:

Soap (face shave): Cella
I think it is Cella, the container had no label on it, but the strong scent of marzipan/almonds leads me to think it is Cella. After all I have been reading I the forums, I now get the chance to try some. The soap lathers very quickly and easily. The scent is strong and sweet, while I do like marzipan the scent is a little too sweet for me. The lather and shave were good, but yesterdays Barbus soap offered me a little more protection. The soap also gave me a little bit of a stinging sensation, so unfortunately it is not a soap for me.

Cream (head shave): TOBS Coconut
Again from reading the forums, the coconut seems to be one of the more popular TOBS creams. the scent is nice, not as strong as the scent of Cella. Like all of the other TOBS I have tried it lathers very easily, and the end result is a nice slick lather.

Brush: Simpsons Berkley 46
I have been curious about Simpson’s brushes, after reading so much about them. I enjoy my boar and horse hair brushes, but am always willing to try out new things. The Berkley is a small brush, but the knot is dense. It lathers nicely, but I found it banging my fingers while bowl lathering. It is a very nice brush to face lather. It has a nice balance of softness and backbone when face lathering. I did notice the smallness of it while head lathering. Overall it is a very nice brush. Looks like I will be adding one of the Simpson’s to my collection in the future.

Blade: Gillette Nacet
Second day using this blade for a face and head shave. End result was a nice shave. The head shave was a little smoother than then the face shave, but no complaints about this blade so far. Will see what the third day shows.

Razor: One of my open combs, a Gillette New, same as before. Seeing how the Nacet works over a few days in the same razor

Aftershave: My TOBS Victorian Lime. Love the great Lime fragrance.

Day Three:

Soap (face + head shave): Barrister & Mann - Sevilla
After all I have been reading in the forums about the B&M soaps I now get the chance to try some. The sample has a very nice barbershop scent, rich and pleasant. The soap lathers very quickly and easily. I was impressed how much lather it produced. The scent is not overpowering, and you can enjoy it as you shave. The lather was very slick with lots of protection. The razor glided smoothly with no nicks. Another soap to add to a grwoing list.

Brush: My Semogue 1305 boar.
This boar is great at lathering. Had lots of lather for two passes (four in total) face and head.

Blade: Gillette Nacet
Bolzano Suprinox
Started day three using the Nacet blade, it was rough and uncomfortable; had two face/head shaves from the blade. Switched to try the Tech and the Bolzano blade. I was impressed by the Bolzano blade, sharp, smooth, very comfortable. For me it is similar to the Gillette 7' O-Clock Black.

Razor: Triangle-slot Gillette Tech
Started with my New LC, then switched to the triangle-slot Tech. This is a very nice razor, smooth, no nicks, For me it is more comfortable than the other Techs I have tried. I had a very smooth shave, both face and head.

Aftershave: Old Spice
Thus us a very nice barbershop scent. A little more pwodery than the 70's version. So far is still noticable on me. I like it.

Day Four:

Soap (face + head shave)
: Mystic Waters - Lavender
The soap puck has a very nice lavender scent. I cut a piece and spread it in the bottom of a bowl. It is very soft, more of a hard paste. It lathered very quickly and easily. Odd thing was that the scent of the lather was almost non-existent, it was very faint. Shaving was easy as the lather provided lots of slickness and protection. In my opinion this soap lathers as well as the traditional English, German, and Italian soaps. I just wish that the scent would have had a stronger presence.

Brush
: Simpsons Berkley 46
Tried the Simpson a second time, it works very well. It has a nice balance of softness and backbone when face lathering.

Blade
: Bolzano Suprinox
Second day using the Bolzano blade for my face and head shave, it was still sharp, smooth, very comfortable.

Razor
: Triangle-slot Gillette Tech
Second day with the triangle-slot Tech. Still have to say it is a very nice shaver. I had a very smooth shave, both face and head.

Aftershave
: Aqua Velva Ice Sport
To me it smells very different than the original Aqua Velva. I splashed it on, and got the alcohol; burn, which dissipated quickly. First impression was that the scent gave an artificial or chemical scent. That faded topnote faded quickly. The scent is still with me a few hours later, I would describe it as a “modern” scent. Once it had settled the scent was okay, but not one to add to my list.

Day Five:

Cream (face + head shave)
: Park Avenue Cool Blue
I decided to try the Cool Blue cream made in India. It has a pleasant scent, and lathers very easily. The lather is very nice, I was surprised at how much it made, and how slick it was. Overall a very good shave.

Brush
:
I used my Vie Long horse hair brush. The horse hair brush works very nicely with creams.

Blade
: Bolzano Suprinox
Third day using the Bolzano blade for my face and head shave, it still gave a good shave, but I could feel that it was not as sharp as earlier.

Razor
: Triangle-slot Gillette Tech
Third day with the triangle-slot Tech. Still have to say it is a very nice shaver. I had a very smooth shave, both face and head.

Aftershave
:
Used some Alt Innsbruck, it has a nice classic scent tobacco and floral.

Day Six:

Soap: Pre de Provence
I have been wanting to try this soap for a while. It lathers very easily, and makes a nice dense lather. I was amazed at how good the lather is. I had a very good shave with it, the lather very slick and the shave felt very good. The scent is very nice, it creates a clean fresh image, with a hint of classic herbs. I wish the scent was stronger.

Brush: My B&B omega boar.

Blade: Merkur.
First time trying this brand of blade. Heard that it is not a good blade, but had to find out how it really is for myself. First impression, was that it is a middle of the road blade. sharp but not overly so. A good shave, but did not feel as comfortable as some of the other blades I have tried. I will see how it shaves over a couple of days.

Razor: Gillette Tech
Another go with the triangle-slot Tech. This one is really surprising, for me it is much better than the other Techs I have. It is a very nice razor. I normally use open combs, Superspeed razors, but this is just as good. Will have to hunt for one now.

Aftershave: 4711
To go with the Pre de Provence I choose my 4711. It has a very nice scent.

I was just looking at the play list and figured that since we're getting close to the bottom that is time to open this up to more members or for those who would like another go around

Top Bottom