What's new

Well, that to forever

Last week I received a razor I bought of the off the forum. I went and honed it up to shave ready condition but after a couple of shaves, not the smoothest but not to bad, I got to looking at the edge a bit better. There was a black spot on the edge I thought wouldn't be of concern. Plus looking at the edge it was not even. Only on one side too.

So starting from scratch I used the Norton 220 to get rid of the black spot. Damn man it seemed to take for ever but eventually the edge looked nice and clean.

From there it went to the 1K. I just couldn't get the bevel even. It would shave arm hair but I really didn't like how it looked. Doing a search here I found the answer to making the bevel much more even. It included taping the spine where the edge was at the smallest part.

That seemed to take forever but it did do the trick. After that I took the tape off and continued on with the 1K till it was shaving hair all along the entire edge. Good thing I don't do this for a living, I'd starve to death.

To me making sure the bevel is set is the hardest part of working on a blade. Not so with a perfect blade but when you get one with issues it's a pita.

Oh well, enough rambling. At least knowing it is right I'll be able to sleep well.

Last edited:
U

Utopian

The reason that taping the spine corrected the uneven bevel was one of two reasons. Either the the tape was correcting for a low spot in the spine, or the grind of the blade near the edge was uneven in that region. In either case, the tape is a temporary fix for a flaw in the blade. Otherwise, it would have taken longer!

Just got it done and I'm fixxen to use it here in a bit. We'll see how it turned out. I had it shaving from the 8K well before I went to the C12K.

Top Bottom