What's new

Help with honing

Knife sharpener?

Forget grit numbers. Grit is conceptual, not absolute.

For starters, if an Ark is lapped and surfaced well, it's not equal to any 1k synthetic. In an excel sheet way you can read the quartz grains as being about 1400 grit or so, but particle size discussions don't apply when it comes to Arks due to how they are formed.
I have owned enough black Arks to ballast a schooner, none of them would compare favorably to a 1k Naniwa Chosera, or similar, when it comes to bevel setting a razor.

Try to understand that grit ratings for synthetic stones are not based on an actual particle size.
The current most popular method of enumerating 'grit' comes by way of comparing any given particle's volume to a virtual spherical model with that volume.

Imagine a rhombic/square particle, lets say its dimensions factor to a volume of 1/10000 cc.
Then take a perfect round and smooth particle that also contains 1/10000 cc of volume.
Will both particles abrade steel the same way?
No, they don't. But they have the same grit.
This is one reason why the JIS standard actually has two scales, one for that method and one for a type of sifting method. The number vary wildly sometimes. You never who measured what which way. Then binder types and particle density in that binder get factored in.

8k in JIS system can be read is approx 2 microns but it's not stand alone, particle size along with particle density matter.
Binder type creates different cutting action too.
Different synth manufacturers have their own spin on grits, it's usually relative within their product lines, often not exactly comparable to other makers.

Chromox for finishing razors could be rated 30k, or more typically 50k, but maybe numerically 60k. Most stuff used by razors guys is .5 µm. Chromox for the auto industry can be a mix of things and all over the place in grit values and polishing action. Dovo used to sell a green paste that was much coarser, 6 µm I think. You have to know what you are using, exactly, to know what 'grit' it is supposed to be. So if your green compound is 6k then following with 8k isn't out of the question. Probably not needed though. Depends on things not visible in this discussion.

Jnats do not have grit.
Assigning grit to coticules is also pointless. The abrasives in those stones are not at all comparable to synthetic stones.
Arks are rated by density. A black ark can be pretty soft or ultra hard, more density = the possibility of greater refinement capability. Just because the possibility is there, doesn't mean you automatically get it though. Variables matter. Skills and technique matter more. It's not add water and stir. I used to finish, refine edges, on Coticules after honing to 12k on Naniwa stones. Yes, using slurry. So not 6k/8k. If used differently, incorrectly, without exploiting their capability, things might appear differently.

Lastly, mirror polish doesn't equal 'good edge'.
More mirror doesn't equal 'better edge'.
The more magnification you use, the more scratches you will see. Even a Level 5 mirror polish is built on scratches and if you use enough magnification you will see them. Polishing steel is scratching steel.

FWIW, I don't shave with the bevel. The apex of the edge is what does the work and apex condition should never be assumed to as being identical to the condition of the side of the bevel.

Razors with hazy and messy looking bevels can deliver some of the best shaving edges out there. All of my edges are hazy but some have more 'mirror' to them than others.

I don't know why a bevel would have a grey stripe. I used to see that on razors honed on Norton combo stones but, for example, my bevels aren't striped. Typically, the 'look' is uniform from shinogi to apex.

I know sometimes people are obsessed with higher grades of mirror polish for some reason, and that can be achieved with using abrasive compounds in the .25µm and .1 µm realm.

Anyone looking to learn how to hone edges that shave better, regardless of appearance might consider learning to set the bevel well enough so a shave can be managed with it. Contrary to the expert advice spewed endlessly around shavng platforms, it isn't hard to do and once achieved the world is one's oyster.

The bevel is the edge, without a 100% bevel, anything done afterwards is just polishing a turd.

I'd recommend getting a good bevel setter and learning it. Me, personally, I would not want to use any black Ark for that work, 1k-ish synths of good quality are worth their weight in gold. Can the Ark be used? Sure, I guess. I just don't see the point in starting with a hurdle or trying to swim upstream for no good reason.

Flattening the stones so they are actually flat when checked with a straight edge can help.
Removing inconsistencies and variables from the equation helps a lot.

I tried a more "scientific" test today on a Filli 13 Novodur that had a decent barber edge already but would not shave. I did not use tape or the hard Ark but sharpied the bevel and went directly to coticule with slurry and without and gradually diluted to water. Then I stropped on Imperial Russe 100 times and I shaved one cheek. Not so great. Then I went to the Kiita which seemed finer in the sense that the scratches were smaller and fewer after 50 passes with slurry and without. Then I did the other cheek. Still not getting down to the skin. So then I did 25 passes on crox paddle and shaved the first side again. Now down to the skin. I would not say this was as close as shaves I have from some English razors professionally honed, but certainly as good as any of my razors I have honed myself with the same progression and lap.

What the test suggests is that my coticule to Kiita progression is correct. I am surprised I needed the crox lap but I seem to need it. Maybe I should do two or three sets with the coticule and or kiita? I also ordered a 60x loupe for the apex exam.

Anyone in Columbus, Ohio who wants to show me the zen of honing I would love to meet up. Thanks.

I tried a more "scientific" test today on a Filli 13 Novodur that had a decent barber edge already but would not shave. I did not use tape or the hard Ark but sharpied the bevel and went directly to coticule with slurry and without and gradually diluted to water. Then I stropped on Imperial Russe 100 times and I shaved one cheek. Not so great. Then I went to the Kiita which seemed finer in the sense that the scratches were smaller and fewer after 50 passes with slurry and without. Then I did the other cheek. Still not getting down to the skin. So then I did 25 passes on crox paddle and shaved the first side again. Now down to the skin. I would not say this was as close as shaves I have from some English razors professionally honed, but certainly as good as any of my razors I have honed myself with the same progression and lap.

What the test suggests is that my coticule to Kiita progression is correct. I am surprised I needed the crox lap but I seem to need it. Maybe I should do two or three sets with the coticule and or kiita? I also ordered a 60x loupe for the apex exam.

Anyone in Columbus, Ohio who wants to show me the zen of honing I would love to meet up. Thanks.

Have you had an edge done by a competent person? You need an edge to compare to.

@Fillifan I was asking where in OH, because I am up towards Cleveland. Probably too far for a pop over. Regardless, if you wanted to hone a razor or two and send it to me I can take a look and see what your working with. I will not go into the technical details that @Gamma already covered, however any variables you can remove while learning is a very good step. I normally recommend new honers start with a set of synthetics, such as the Naniwa Super Stones. They are very consistent and help to hasten the learning process. Starting to learn on natural stones while possible, is typically a rockier path (see what I did there!). Not all natural stones are created equally, and you trying to finish on one with out experience is sometimes difficult. Hard to tell if you have reached a stones top end or your form needs work. Feel free to send me a PM if I can help.

I have two such edges I compare them with my 40x loupe and also by shaving with the "competent person" hone job.But now that I am feeling my face, I think my Filly hone job today has given me a better closer shave than even the "competent person" razor. So a progression with no tape and no ark going directly to coticule 50 strokes with slurry and then a dilicot no slurry to water. Strop 100 passes on leather. Then 50 on Kiita with slurry which is showing a darker grey swarf, and then no slurry. Then strop again. Then 25 passes on crox rubbed into leather paddle. Then strop 50 times. Now that my skin has recovered from all this testing, I think I may have hit it with this razor. But I will need to wait for more beard over three days or so to try again.

I have two such edges I compare them with my 40x loupe and also by shaving with the "competent person" hone job.But now that I am feeling my face, I think my Filly hone job today has given me a better closer shave than even the "competent person" razor. So a progression with no tape and no ark going directly to coticule 50 strokes with slurry and then a dilicot no slurry to water. Strop 100 passes on leather. Then 50 on Kiita with slurry which is showing a darker grey swarf, and then no slurry. Then strop again. Then 25 passes on crox rubbed into leather paddle. Then strop 50 times. Now that my skin has recovered from all this testing, I think I may have hit it with this razor. But I will need to wait for more beard over three days or so to try again.

Send that razor to @GreazyThumbs to take a look at that edge. He would be qualified to judge your edge and send you back a good edge. Edge comparisons are a good learning tool.

Lowly humble opinion....

if you go to 10K then back to 8K you going backwards.
not getting over carried away technically, CrOx is aprox 1 micron, my calipers may or may not be accurate
8K is approx 3 micron

thereto hence, i would swap the order of CrOx and diamond 8K

Crox comes in any size that they want to make it.
I got a bag of 0.3 micron from Kremer.

Top Bottom