What's new

GD Experiment.

As many of you know, I am not a fan of Gold Dollar razors (for those of you who are I’m happy you’re enjoy them.)

That said, GD do take an edge, edge longevity is an entirely different and subjective conversation but I’m going to figure out the most efficient way (from my point of view and experience) to honing them were they provide a comfortable shave and where the edge lasts a reasoable amount of time. I will not be grinding down shoulders or anything of the sort, I’ve never had an issue getting to the entire length of the bevel With the pronounced shoulder.

I have some strategies that involve different bevel angles and particular finishers or in some cases pre-finishers (as a final honing step) that I’m sure will work. Some may ask why? Basically I’ve come to the realization that GDs will forever be part of the straight razor landscape and why not try and figure out a way to make them more efficient. Frank Misa provided the two 208s for this trial. I will say that uber sharp on less than high quality steel becomes a liability, I’ll leave you with that. Happy Saturday!
D5C23F9B-4106-48A5-9330-FD49456D6562.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting thread.
I recently baught 5 GD 208, just to be able to at least have an opinion.
The biggest issue was the tapered profile most of them had. They all ended up with a smile to avoid removing too much steel.
Once the geometry is sorted out they are quite easy to get an ok edge on.
I am not able to see a quick solution to this. Allot of material needs to be removed to get the tow in line.
One solution is to get enough of them and spend some time on the "good" ones.

Longevity is a tough one.

I kid you not, most of the time I would say I have average whiskers but periodically they can get very resistant even with thorough prep.

Not sure what’s going on there…

Looking forward to the results!

Longevity is a tough one.

I kid you not, most of the time I would say I have average whiskers but periodically they can get very resistant even with thorough prep.

Not sure what’s going on there…

Looking forward to the results!
My GD longevity tests were quite short lived.
Shave 1. Nice and smooth.
Shave 2. Something is not right, but still good.
Shave 3. Something is definitely not right but I can probably get one more Shave.
Shave 4. This needs to get rehoned because red dots starts to show up.

Last edited:
I did my own tests. Got over 90 shaves out of one. No pasted strop either
I have put many different edges on them from many different stones
.I don't see why there is so much disparity although I have to believe my own eyes. I don't find that any of them are better or worse regarding shave quality. Frills don't shave. If you want to avoid certain razors that have serious warp issues then odds are if you buy two Sheffield wedges that one of them at least is warped. But use what you like and whatever works. The conclusions are inconclusive. Anything you hear is opinion. And anything you see is perception.

I've never had a gold dollar, but if the edge retention is that sketchy maybe the old euro way of honing is the answer for ppl who insist. Just set a bevel, refine to a point and then just attack on paste/re-attack when necessary.

F

firebox

Never had a Gold Dollar.
Reviews kept me at bay. That said, most of my blades are over 100 years old. Not sketchy, Just proving there is no modern magic to good blades. Never underestimate the quality of vintage blades. I have quite a few Sheffield blades. If they say Sheffield England they are post 1892. All mine say Sheffield (pre-1892) and all are great shavers.

I have had my fair share of bad vintage blades but it has more to do with warps or absolutely dreadful factory hollow grinding. Only weird one was a basically nos red imp 133 that a chunk cracked out of when wiping it with zero warning.

I've shaved off them without troubles. Even bought a few and tested them all all kinds of edge angles just to see what they could and couldn't do.

As I recall; the steel isn't of the quality of vintage steel (I've had vintage razors that held 11 degree edge angles just fine)... but... felt like as long as you stuck above 16 degrees (or maybe it was 16.5... been awhile). You were good. Had a couple down as low as 13-14 degrees and the edges just didn't hold up. Some of their razors were ok in the 15s... but 16 or 17 a much safer number.

And there's nothing wrong with razors in that range... just be aware that if you buy some of their wackier-looking models... sometimes they arrive with <16 degree angles and you need to fix them. Their standard models I want to say tend more in the 17-20 degree angles they work fine at though.

Again, based on longevity comments from others I may need to restate... I usually rehone/touch up after every single shave... with every razor I own, just cause of how many hones I own/buy.

I think I've seen others test them and go 20+ shaves without problems... but maybe I am imagining/misremembering?

Years and years of gd debates. There isnt a stitch of objective info or specs to say they don't shave. It's all subjective commentary. Of course if we put mammoth tusk scales on a razor and gold wash embellishments etc it will shave better! "I was expecting better fit and finish for the $4 including shipping I paid." 😬

I have honed a lot of Gold Dollar’s and their kin over the years. They all shaved and well, none were mine.

The steel quality was always good, though the grind often needed some repair. It was the floppy scales that I disliked and made stropping difficult. Something that would need to be done daily.

There was a time when the words “Gold Dollar”, were vitriolic and the resulting heated posting caused banning and some to quit forums.

It has been some time since I have honed one though and would be interested in seeing the results of an experienced honer honing a new production razor.

Most of the old, bad reviews stemmed from new honers trying to hone a Gold Dollar that needed repair and that the honer often did not have enough experience to deal with the issues, so that it could be honed properly.

It is for these reasons that I do not recommend them for new honers to learn to hone on. A clean, well ground vintage razor made at the pinecle of razor making can be purchased for a few dollars more, and a new honer will learn a lot more learning to hone on a well ground razor that does not need repair and quality comfortable scales.

Will be watching with interest.

The steel quality was always good, though the grind often needed some repair. It was the floppy scales that I disliked and made stropping difficult. Something that would need to be done daily.
I have only honed 5. These were GD 100 models. There were no issues with the scales. I think this is more of an issue with the 66 models.
Once the bevel was sorted they did shave quite well.
I had the best results if I set the bevel on synthetic stones up to 3-4k and did the midrange and finish on jnat's.
A full synthetic progression left a little fragile edge.

Kept mine as a beater but don't use it much. Learned to shave and hone on it. Grew out of it but I don't hate the razor. Dang does it rust quick though...yikes.

I use them often. I work on a ship, and have to pass thru TSA check in and even sticker carry on rules. I will not risk loosing one of my good razors, utilizing GD for this purpose was a no brainer. I have 10 out there that I have sunk a whopping $38 in. For 21 days at a time I shave exclusively with gold dollars. I hone on them every day to de stress and pass the time. Do I tire of them? Absolutely but they service my purpose. They shave well, easy to hone and take every natural edge I put at them. I don’t use synthetics at work. All the rot and ugliness they come with has to be removed before they leave home. I have not seen any of the 100, 66 or 777 that have arrived from the factory without a crappy bevel. Most take a ton of work. You’re always going to get people on here to bash goal dollars. They are an easy target, perfect fodder for trolls.

Last edited:
My GD longevity tests were quite short lived.
Shave 1. Nice and smooth.
Shave 2. Something is not right, but still good.
Shave 3. Something is definitely not right but I can probably get one more Shave.
Shave 4. This needs to get rehoned because red dots starts to show up.
I have 3 which mirror this description (well #s 1-3 anyway); W56, S61, and a 208.
I do enjoy shaving with them and to me, it's just a nuanced maintenance strategy to keep these at the ready.

That being said, they do hit CrOx every other shave and all is well in my world...

I have 3 which mirror this description (well #s 1-3 anyway); W56, S61, and a 208.
I do enjoy shaving with them and to me, it's just a nuanced maintenance strategy to keep these at the ready.

That being said, they do hit CrOx every other shave and all is well in my world...
You can conceivably get 100 shaves if you hit the edge with CrOx every other shave, sound strategy.

Have you done anything to thin the spine?
Most of my GD razors ended up with a bevel angle at 19 deg. I deliberately thinned the spine a little when I set the bevel.
Pastes usually add some convexity. It would be interesting to try and get the bevel angle down to 16 deg, and add some convexity with a pasted strop as a maintenance routine.

Have you done anything to thin the spine?
Most of my GD razors ended up with a bevel angle at 19 deg. I deliberately thinned the spine a little when I set the bevel.
Pastes usually add some convexity. It would be interesting to try and get the bevel angle down to 16 deg, and add some convexity with a pasted strop as a maintenance routine.
I haven't done so deliberately, no.
I do have a 66 floating around a drawer here somewhere which may make for an interesting case study.

Well, I did buy a GD 208 about 15-16 years ago. Yep it had some wonky geometry but not that bad. I fixed it, honed it, stropped it and it gave me a descent shave. Fortunately I don't use it often. I stick to the antique razors will great steel.

Top Bottom