What's new

Wax on Razor Blade?

I just started using Astra Super Platinum (loaded up my razor in preparation for the next shave) and noticed some wax stuck to the blade from the packaging. I looked on B&B about it and it seems to be fairly common of an issue but there didn't seem to be consensus on the Correct Thing To Do About It.

So, how do you handle wax on your blades? Do you need to wipe them off? Are there consequences to just leaving the wax on? If the wax has to be wiped off to avoid damage to the razor or something, what is the best way to do it?

I have never worried about it. I haven't seen enough on the blade to impact the razor.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Wax stabilizing dabs, keeps the blade from rubbing against the wrapper and becoming dull. I just use an old SE blade to scrape them off ,even though they are harmless.

Don't worry about it. No adverse effects. My most recent 10 pack of Feather blades have a couple fairly heavy wax blobs on each blade.

I do soak my razor in isopropyl alcohol for 5 minutes or so after shaving. When the blade is done, the wax is gone. If your worried about it at all, you could load the blade, soak in alcohol for 5 minutes, rinse, and shave.

Probably not necessary, but people do all kinds of unnecessary things "just because"

Wax has never been an issue for me. Just the hot water and soap while shaving gets rid of it for me. It has never caused any mis-loading or poor shaves.

Crappy blade quality has caused me to have bad shaves. Not wax dots.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I use a propane torch. Not really, but those things bug the stuff out of me!

Wax has never been an issue for me. Just the hot water and soap while shaving gets rid of it for me. It has never caused any mis-loading or poor shaves.
Exactly, very much not something to worry about. The wax is not going to affect the shave. I just wipe the blade daily due to hard water so the wax is soon gone. I am sure the soap and hot water will melt that wax anyway and it gets rinsed away.

proxy.php

I don't know if every batch of GSBs has as much wax on them as mine do, but I've been using the old blade to shave the giant wax blobs off of the new blade. Astras, as well as many other blades, never had enough wax on them to to affect their usability or the function of the razor.

The GSBs I have, on the other hand (before I started "shaving" the wax off), were making the barn doors stick closed and I think were distorting the blade angle, which in turn significantly reduced the blade life. Pre-wax-shave I would get 2 decent shaves and one hack job with a new GSB; post-wax-shave I get a minimum of 8 BBS/DFS and have gone to the two dozen mark a few times. It has to have been the wax, but nobody else seems to have had the same problems I've had with them.

I've never had any issues with the wax on Astra blades, but if there's enough that you think it's affecting your shave quality or blade life there's no harm in removing it, so long as you don't bend the blade or distort the cutting edge by doing so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FarmerTan

I don't know if every batch of GSBs has as much wax on them as mine do, but I've been using the old blade to shave the giant wax blobs off of the new blade. Astras, as well as many other blades, never had enough wax on them to to affect their usability or the function of the razor.

The GSBs I have, on the other hand (before I started "shaving" the wax off), were making the barn doors stick closed and I think were distorting the blade angle, which in turn significantly reduced the blade life. Pre-wax-shave I would get 2 decent shaves and one hack job with a new GSB; post-wax-shave I get a minimum of 8 BBS/DFS and have gone to the two dozen mark a few times. It has to have been the wax, but nobody else seems to have had the same problems I've had with them.

I've never had any issues with the wax on Astra blades, but if there's enough that you think it's affecting your shave quality or blade life there's no harm in removing it, so long as you don't bend the blade or distort the cutting edge by doing so.

I will be trying this.

I tend to put the wax down against the base plate. As mentioned above it can stick the barn doors shut on a TTO and can stick the blade in the top cap on three piecers. I've had the dots remain on the blade through 5 or more shaves and never had them interfere with the quality of shave. Maybe if I turned up the water heater they would rinse out. Fortunately I have no OCD issues with shaving, now other areas are another matter!

I will be trying this.

If you're having difficulty with the wax globs on GSBs you won't be disappointed.

Find a 90 degree surface to rest the new blade on, wax side up (obviously), put the edge of the blade against the edge of the surface and CAREFULLY use all 4 corners of the old blade to shave the 4 wax globs off, using approximately the same angle you'd use for shaving your face. I then, again CAREFULLY, pick the wax off of the old blade, drop the wax in the trash and the blade into the blade receptacle; which for me is an old large medicine bottle.

I've been doing it with my GSBs for about a year and a half and I haven't looked back.

I have never let it bother me as it has not affected the shave or distorted the seating of the blade. However if it really bothers you, smear a little olive oil on the wax and it will not stick to anything. I imagine it is a lot easier applying the olive oil than scrapping the wax of a new blade and risk damaging it. I expect any cooking oil may work for this solution.

I imagine it is a lot easier applying the olive oil than scrapping the wax of a new blade and risk damaging it. I expect any cooking oil may work for this solution.

I may have made the removal process seem more difficult or time consuming than it actually is. It probably takes me a maximum of 15 seconds to shave the wax off. I put the new blade on the edge of my vanity and scrape the wax off with the old blade.

Like I said, I don't know if mine have way more wax than everybody else's or my Fat Boy or Slims (or my face) are more sensitive or what. I know that once I started shaving the wax off the quality of shaves and longevity of the GSBs exponentially improved.

YMMV

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

FarmerTan

If you're having difficulty with the wax globs on GSBs you won't be disappointed.

Find a 90 degree surface to rest the new blade on, wax side up (obviously), put the edge of the blade against the edge of the surface and CAREFULLY use all 4 corners of the old blade to shave the 4 wax globs off, using approximately the same angle you'd use for shaving your face. I then, again CAREFULLY, pick the wax off of the old blade, drop the wax in the trash and the blade into the blade receptacle; which for me is an old large medicine bottle.

I've been doing it with my GSBs for about a year and a half and I haven't looked back.

Thanks!

...I looked on B&B about it and it seems to be fairly common of an issue but there didn't seem to be consensus on the Correct Thing To Do About It...
Astute observation!

Not sure what your expectations are when you ask the very same questions many people asked before and posted by the hundreds.
Anyway:

...So, how do you handle wax on your blades?
Wax? What wax?

...Do you need to wipe them off?...
No. Absolutely not.

...Are there consequences to just leaving the wax on?
Wax? What wax?

...If the wax has to be wiped off to avoid damage to the razor or something, what is the best way to do it?
The best way to deal with the above is to ignore it.

proxy.php

No need to do anything about it, but if irrationally bothers you I suppose the bit of wax could be removed safely and effectively without any great difficulty.

Reminds me of how several members of my family are OCD about not answering the phone (landline phone) during a ring, only picking it up between rings. It's always struck me as an unnecessary "rule," and not one I've ever adopted, but I can't see that it's done them any real harm in their lives, and it seems to make them happy to behave this way.

Would that all unnecessary habits were as inoffensive as removing a dot of wax from a razor blade, or waiting an extra half second before answering a phone call. The world would be a much happier place. Although I suppose the cigarette companies would be filing for bankruptcy protection. :)

Top Bottom