What's new

Wax on Razor Blade?

[Posting this again]

Leave it on. It's intended to keep the blade from moving in the wrapper during shipping as-well as staying put in the DE shaver.

proxy.php
that looks dangerous

The only thing I have noted from the wax on Feather blades is that it can make the blade difficult to remove from some precision machined stainless steel 3 piece razors. The tightest stick is from the RazoRock Wunderbar.

This bothers me particularly on blades such as Vokshod which explicitly say do not wipe on the package/blade yet have big ol clumps of wax. I just used up the pack and changed brands. No wax on my Derby's or Lord Super Chromes.

I just hold the blade with my thumbs in the center of the blade where the wax is and wipe it off towards the unsharpened edges problem solved. I never understand what the big deal is with this subject.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Not sure if it's been suggested, but this is how I deal with the wax:

Very hot water.

Soak the blade in hot water BEFORE you unwrap it.

Not sure if it's been suggested, but this is how I deal with the wax:

Very hot water.

That's a good one too, it's certainly an easy problem to overcome, like I said I never understood why this is such a problem for some.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Or, if you're dating a genetic engineer, have her genetically engineer a type of bacteria which eats wax. Then just store your razor blades in a vat of those microscopic critters.

But when you ask her to take a few cells from her really awesome dog, and whip up a clone dog for you, be prepared to get a whole lecture of how there are already too many unwanted dogs and cats, cloning a dog is very expensive, the clone wouldn't be identical to the original due to environmental differences, the procedure works only a small percentage of the time, it's ethically dubious, her employment would be terminated, etc.

Although from a "let's not destroy the world" perspective, I guess it's maybe a good thing that genetic engineers are so reluctant to do kewl (that's the kewl spelling of "cool") genetic engineering favors for anyone who asks. Would that Khan Noonien Singh's creators had been similarly cautious; we might have been spared the Eugenics Wars of the 1990s.

But perhaps I digress.

I like to see it. It suggests the manufacturer is ensuring the blade is lubricated. It does not affect my shave and goes after a while anyway.

Opened up my first ever gsb today. The wrapper says do not wipe and there are wax marks. How does that not bother you?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
Big case of Much Ado About Nothing. Unless the wax is actually on the edge (something I've never seen), it's harmless. You can let it be, or follow any of the advice above. Either way works.

I guess I have seen some blades with a small wax dot (no globs, blobs, drips, bumps, humps, etc) on the flat part of the blade. Never gave it a second thought. I don't shave with the flat part of the blade, only the edge so why worry about it??

I guess I have seen some blades with a small wax dot (no globs, blobs, drips, bumps, humps, etc) on the flat part of the blade. Never gave it a second thought. I don't shave with the flat part of the blade, only the edge so why worry about it??

Makes the insides of the razor head sticky over time.

On a Gillette Silver Blue wrapper:

DO NOT WIPE BLADE
Could be as simple an explanation as once upon a time, a fellow purchased some Gillette Silver Blue razor blades. He wiped one with his thumb. Because he was an idiot, he managed to slice open his thumb, underwent hospitalization and surgery for this injury, and sued Gillette for a gazillion dollars. (Eventually settling out of court, for $5000 plus medical expenses.)

So nowadays Gillette's lawyers insist that the "Do not wipe" warning appear on the razor blade wrappers.

Similar to the warning I saw on a package of peanuts, not long ago - "Warning: This package may contain peanuts." Which is a ridiculous thing to have to print on a package of peanuts, but we live in an overly litigious age.

Makes the insides of the razor head sticky over time.

Haven't noticed this yet. When I switch razors, I scrub the current one with an old toothbrush and hot water then dry it well before sticking in back in the drawer. No stickiness to date.

I usually do the same when changing blades - which is generally once every 2 weeks (average). Keeps the soap from building up over time, plus I like really shiny razors.

Top Bottom