What's new

Wanted: Less Aggressive Open Comb

I recently acquired a long tooth Gillette New. It gives a close shave, but it's a little more aggressive than I like. I've read that the short tooth New is less aggressive, while the Old Style is more aggressive. Any truth to that? What open comb razor would our membership recommend? I presently have an open comb Speedway in which the blade rests directly on the comb. It is so mild, I've slightly shimmed the blade to create a small gap to increase its aggressiveness. I really like the looks of the open comb models.

-Clarke

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I would say a Goodfella. From what I've heard, it's a mild open comb. The members who tried it would be able to confirm or deny this.

I believe the current Merkurs have a rep for being mild open comb razors. Note - I haven't used a newer one, just an older Merkur open comb that was very mild.

You might also want to experiment with different blades in your long combed NEW.
Try one of the sampler pack from West Coast Shaving>
The LC NEW is one of my favorite razor heads, I use it on many of my custom handle.
It make for a Sexy looking razor but you need to match a blade that works for you with it.

My Merkur classic open comb gives a great, smooth shave with no irritation (with a Feather). I don't have any other open combs to compare it to though. I would say it is definitely worth trying.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I'd love to hear about the differences between the Muehle open comb vs the Goodfella.

I can't say for the Goodfella but the Muhle was bitting hard! I got the job done properly with the Mulhe numerous times! I was thinking about a Goodfella until I had a NEW in my hands... Now, I think I found 'the one'!

In addition to the Goodfella, I have my grandfather's 1918 Old Type, a Bob's Razor Works replated NEW head on a custom barberpole handle, and a Merkur 12C.

That's interesting. How does the 12C compare to the NEW? I had a NEW and ended up selling it because I found it too aggressive. But I liked the way the open comb allowed more lather to meet the blade. Maybe I need to try these milder open combs. Until this thread came up, I thought all open combs were in my 'avoid' column.

Thanks,

~Jeff

That's interesting. How does the 12C compare to the NEW? I had a NEW and ended up selling it because I found it too aggressive. But I liked the way the open comb allowed more lather to meet the blade. Maybe I need to try these milder open combs. Until this thread came up, I thought all open combs were in my 'avoid' column.

Thanks,

~Jeff

I listed them pretty much from mildest to wildest for me there. It's been a while since I've used the 12C, though...and, as always, YMMV.

Why not try a Gillette Old Type? They aren't aggressive.
That's what I was thinking, until I read another thread here on B&B that claimed the Old Types were more aggressive than the News. Is there any difference in shave quality between the original Old Type with the bottom plate fixed to the handle and the Old Type with the threaded handle?

-Clarke

That's what I was thinking, until I read another thread here on B&B that claimed the Old Types were more aggressive than the News. Is there any difference in shave quality between the original Old Type with the bottom plate fixed to the handle and the Old Type with the threaded handle?

-Clarke

That's what I thought, too. I tried a NEW because I read so many posts that it was less aggressive than an OLD. I never tried the OLD because I found the NEW to be too aggressive.

~Jeff
confused, but open-minded

My last few shaves were with a long-toothed Gillette New and Red Personna blade- very good shaves indeed!:wink: I have two of the long-toothed News, one bar handle(the one I've shaved with) & one ball-end handle(looks unused, haven't shaved with it). I prefer a mild razor, yet didn't find the New to shave too agressively at all. Go figure.:biggrin:

I'd like to get a couple of Gillette New short-toothed razors- one with the "normal" semi-thin bottom plate: and *especially* one with the thick heavy bottom plate(New Deluxe?). Then I could do my own "side-by-each" comparison with the long-toothed version!:cool:

I would agree about the Merkurs being mild. I just bought a 12C and it is more mild than I wanted. I am looking to replace it with something more aggressive, the opposite of your problem. It is funny how different we all are, when you consider the "one size fits all fusion" seems to work for everybody.

My last few shaves were with a long-toothed Gillette New and Red Personna blade- very good shaves indeed!:wink: I have two of the long-toothed News, one bar handle(the one I've shaved with) & one ball-end handle(looks unused, haven't shaved with it). I prefer a mild razor, yet didn't find the New to shave too agressively at all. Go figure.:biggrin:

I'd like to get a couple of Gillette New short-toothed razors- one with the "normal" semi-thin bottom plate: and *especially* one with the thick heavy bottom plate(New Deluxe?). Then I could do my own "side-by-each" comparison with the long-toothed version!:cool:

Geez. I didn't know until this thread that there were so many different NEW razors. Long vs. short comb? Really? I'm just going to guess now that the one I had/tried was a New Deluxe because it had a fairly thick bottom plate.

So now I need to try even MORE open comb razors? It's only the 7th of the month and I'm more than half way through my monthly 'fun money' budget.

Can someone point me to a primer on open comb razors? The different characteristics of the different types along with relative aggressiveness?

~Jeff
the more I learn, the less I know

Top Bottom