What's new

Convince me I need a Henson

I

Island

Unless they changed their policy, the aluminum razors can be returned but the titanium ones cannot.

Based on the razors you like, I will recommend you NOT buy a Henson. I have the +++, it works well with growth up to 2d, longer growth in my case seems to be less effective. It is a mild razor, like the ones you do not like using.....

I do have a merkur 38c and a Gillette heritage and several other "mild" razors. I find I don't like these as much as open combs or aggressive razors.
My response to Convince Me I Need a Henson was going to be, "You need a Henson."

But it seems to me that you've already answered your inquiry with your comment above. I'm very happy with my Henson Mild and would like to try a Henson Medium, but it sounds like your taste in razors is much more aggressive than mine is. So I'd tell you not to try it. Does that mean that it's a bad razor? Not at all! It's awesome! But based upon your comments, I would guess that you won't like it.

Thanks everyone for the helpful replies.

While it is fun to buy new razors and try new gear I already have quite a bit so I am probably going to pass on a Henson. That's not saying they are a bad razor but from what I have read and heard maybe it's just not for me.

I know the only way you can know is to get one but if I'm this hesitant I think that's a sign. I don't truly need another razor, it just looked interesting.

If you like more aggressive razors, my guess is that you won't find the Henson to your liking, with the possible exception of the +++ ("aggressive") version.

do you only have 25 razors or fewer? you need a henson. mine is the mid range of what they sell now (when I bought it was men's and women's models, with the women's being the mild and men's being medium). The medium is easily the master of my beard.

I typically go for more aggressive razors. My absolute favorite safety razor is a Gillette old type open comb with a feather blade, and my next favorite safety razor is probably my Gillette aristocrat adjustable, which I think is just a gold plated slim adjustable. I usually crank that up to 9 with a feather as well.

I would say 75% of my shaves are with a straight but I like having safety razors to change things up or if I'm in a rush.

I do have a merkur 38c and a Gillette heritage and several other "mild" razors. I find I don't like these as much as open combs or aggressive razors.

But for some reason I want to try a Henson. They claim they can get a shave close to a more aggressive razor with the feel of a mild due to its design. I don't know if I'm falling for marketing or if this is true because I haven't used one.

I have come very, very close the past few days of clicking place order but gave backed out every time.

Please help me. If I tend to prefer aggressive razors will this find a home in the dark corner of the cabinet and never get used? Or will this give me the performance of my aggressive razors with a more mild feel?

If you want, and have money, buy and get out of your system. Buy the Henson.

You have many razors already, so imho there is no need.

do you only have 25 razors or fewer? you need a henson. mine is the mid range of what they sell now (when I bought it was men's and women's models, with the women's being the mild and men's being medium). The medium is easily the master of my beard.

Only 25? Lol. I definitely have under 25 safety razors and under 25 straight razors, but if I add them together it's probably close to 25 or over

I shave with a straight razor 95% of the time. However, I often combine it with a DE razor to save time.
If I use the Henson +++ , I do one pass with a straight razor and do a clean up pass with my Henson.
It's a really good razor in my opinion.

My only regret is that I did not get the titanium version.

The posting above inspired me to say, you just have to have a Henson to know if you love it or actually don't need it.
Surely not already having something is best proof it's unlikely to be needed as you have survived this long without it? Needing something is such a high barrier. Sometimes it's better to admit you just want something and stop pretending it might be necessary.
As for Henson it's not for me as I find Aluminium razors too lightweight. If I wanted that kind of head which is easy to find the angle for newbies then I would probably get the Yaqi Tile in 316 stainless steel but I don't really want to support China or see what it would add to my collection so my wallet is shut for now.

I have been wanting to get one of these for a little while (after promising myself that was the end of razor impulse buying)
As always the head says one the heart says get the debit card out you cheap so and so.
I have sensitive skin but do not shave everyday (more laziness than anything else).
So been looking at the mild or medium but cannot decide which one (leaning toward the mild) and can only afford one.
Then again my last shave with my DE89 & Feather was lovely and very smooth - so why bother and save some money.

No rush to decide !

Last edited:
Mine is another vote for "I don't think you want a Henson"..!!

From the preferences you describe, you would be better off spending your money on a different razor. The Hensons are not cheap razors. And for good reason. They are very well designed, and high level of craftsmanship.

I got lured in by this myself. By now, I own two Hensons, a + (mild), and a +++ (aggressive). To this day, I think they are beautiful razors to hold and to look at, very well balanced, and I have no problem at all with it being aluminum, to the contrary. Also, you will find the +++ plenty aggressive, no problem there.

The problem is with the way the razor head on a Henson locks you at a particular angle. You have very little flexibility in terms of adjusting your angle, in contrast to almost any other DE razor I know. This means that, especially with the +++ "aggressive" Henson, you really have to apply all your skill (assuming that you have plenty DE experience) just to avoid getting a razor burn if you want take advantage of the aggression and get a close shave.
I find this super annoying. With the + (mild) Henson, this is not a problem, but it really is a very mild razor. You almost have to deliberately want to hurt yourself to get into any trouble with that razor. I press like crazy when I use it, and still not cuts, no razor burn. I would have completely torn up my face if I did that with any other DE razor.

The best thing I can compare the feel of shaving with a Henson to, is shaving with one of those bright yellow disposable BIC plastic razors (single or dual blade). I think the feel on your face once you start shaving with a Henson, and the way it locks your angle, is almost exactly the same.

I honestly don't mean this in just a negative way. Before I got into DE shaving, those yellow disposable BIC razors were my razor of choice, so I know well what I am talking about. And I don't think those BIC plastic razors are bad razors, relatively speaking, they are certainly way better, and better value for the money, than cartridge razors.

But if you are coming from a straight razor and DE background already, have experience, and you are going to spend almost a hundred dollars on another DE razor, I think you'd expect a little more.

I have been experimenting with ways of salvaging some of what I spent on my Hensons, and the best I can come up with, is using the Henson handle, with an aluminum head from a LUPO (Razorock). This combo still gives me a nice and well designed aluminum razor, the nice Henson handle, some of the nice balance of the Henson, but it also gives me a much better head that is not locked at a particular angle.
The latter just remains a pain with the Hensons, mild or aggressive, no matter how you twist or turn it.

Unless you want a Henson just for the collection, or insist on getting your own Henson experience, don't bother with it, spend your money on a different razor.

Last edited:
The best thing I can compare the feel of shaving with a Henson to, is shaving with one of those bright yellow disposable BIC plastic razors (single or dual blade). I think the feel on your face once you start shaving with a Henson, and the way it locks your angle, is almost exactly the same.
Interesting comment. A while back when I was investigating the Henson it seemed to me that the "locked angle, flat part against the skin" orientation sounded very similar to the yellow (orange?) BIC disposable (which I have always liked, BTW).

I have both AL13 and Ti22 medium razors and enjoy them. I get excellent shaves from them and find their quality superb. Are the my favorite razors, no, but they are very nice performers for me and I use them often. I believe you need to like using a more steep shaving angle with them due to their design. Folks that are used to using a more shallow angle most likely won’t get along well with the Henson. Fine razors though.

Top Bottom