What's new

Question about open comb razors.

This may seem a weird question but its something I've considered and haven't seen discussed: Won't an open comb razor shave unevenly? It just seems like the razor will cut closer between the teeth than it will over the teeth which seem to offer more protection from the blade.

Here is an example of an open comb:
Var-SC-OC-ang-up-1.jpeg

Thanks for the clarification. I've been using an Old Type lately and as I look closely the blade does indeed sit behind the teeth rather than on top of them. The most aggressive razor I've used before this is a red tip or a Fat Boy on setting 9. The Old Type feels slightly more aggressive to me with more blade feel. Not sure if this is because it is an open comb or more to do with the blade gap or angle. Anyway it is a good close shave just so long as I take my time with it.

Thanks for the clarification. I've been using an Old Type lately and as I look closely the blade does indeed sit behind the teeth rather than on top of them. The most aggressive razor I've used before this is a red tip or a Fat Boy on setting 9. The Old Type feels slightly more aggressive to me with more blade feel. Not sure if this is because it is an open comb or more to do with the blade gap or angle. Anyway it is a good close shave just so long as I take my time with it.
You may find that you will feel the difference in that the teeth just are foreign compared to a closed safety bar.

Open comb razors being generally more aggressive is a misconception imo.

As long as you’re utilising it properly, why would the teeth cut the hair unevenly from behind them? That just doesn’t make a whole lot of sense to me, considering it’s still coming into just as much contact with the hair as the parts that aren’t behind a tooth.

Open combs are not more aggressive than closed combs. If a given open comb razor seems to be more aggressive it is not the open comb that is the cause but some other design feature.

No

Although there are members here that still think the blade sits directly on the comb teeth I can assure you that is not the case on any well made open comb razor.

If that were the case (no gap) then yes, it would cut stripes. And that isn't gonna be practical. :001_rolle

+2! There are mild OC and ‘aggressive’ SB razors.

Other factors in razor design are more important determinants of shave quality IME.

I've got sensitive skin; light rubbing with even a washcloth will turn it red. Waiting a longer time between shaves usually gives me better, more comfortable results.

I've been skipping shaving for about four days at a time lately and then using a '24 Bostonian. With a mild blade, a light touch, and concentrating on keeping the right angle, I'm getting very efficient, comfortable shaves. I can tell eighteen hours later the stubble growing back just isn't as long. Just as a quick test I'd put the same blade in a different razor that has a solid bar to do an instant A/B comparison. It has less blade feel, (i.e. scraping and tugging,) than other solid bar razors I've got.

I don't know whether it's the blade angle or exposure that's working in my favor, but when I stick to the rules of the road I don't find it aggressive.

Top Bottom