What's new

Wall Street Journal article....

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
The article wasn't researched very well but with the economy, maybe WSJ just needed a quick filler article. I don't think the cult angle is all that accurate either. I started shaving with a DE and used it for years. I don't remember when I changed to plastic or why but when I put the DE down, I put it down until I came across this site a couple of months ago.

I don't seem to suffer from RAD. I bought a red tip and a couple of Techs and a New - nothing over $15 - and found the New to be the best razor I've ever used. I am interested in trying more soaps though and eventually a classy brush. I think the lather is the best part. I may start making soap.

I remember seeing the SNL skit and it has nagged me every time I have bought into the newest and greatest plastic multi-blade; five blades in a cartridge and they all go dull at the same time - pretty dumb actually.

I made the change for one reason - the ridiculous cost of cartridges. I'm a baby boomer and there are a lot of us who have been damaged by the economy so I really don't think the market is at all saturated. There are a lot of boomers out there who are not aware of this yet but grew up shaving this way and will revert once enlightened. I certainly would like a major drug store chain to start offering more DE products.

Since going back to DE, I realize how great they are and can't understand why I gave it up in the first place. I'll never go back to plastic.

This piece is typical of what WSJ writes about hobbies and other special interest subjects. The focus is on what things cost and eccentricities of some folks. You should see what they write about home audio!

Like Oscar Wilde's cynic, they seem to know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

proxy.php

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
It's not a bad article in so far as it highlights the reasons that many of us are here.
It isn't so much a pro-wetshaving article as it is a negative cartridge article.
It could have been worse certainly, and it's typically what you get when the uninformed interview the uneducated.
The comment about DE shaving taking so long that he only does it on weekends is a key marker that the guy is a noob.

That is an excellent advocacy video. Well done.
Thanks for the link Jim.
I sent it to a bunch of guys I work with that I have PIF'ed starter kits to.

Last edited:
The comment about how much time it takes stuck out to me too. I'm a noob and I DE shave during the week and on weekends. Sure it may be an increase in one passing with a cart and ending up with a crap shave and cuts and nicks, but the way he makes it sound it's like you need all morning to do it.

actually now that I think about If I were to buy a merkur on the upper east side it probably costs $260 as well, considering bridge tolls and parking:lol:

though I may head over there next time I'm up that way and just get a whiff of some of the stuff I've always been curious about

R

rodeo

actually now that I think about If I were to buy a merkur on the upper east side it probably costs $260 as well, considering bridge tolls and parking:lol:

though I may head over there next time I'm up that way and just get a whiff of some of the stuff I've always been curious about

Yea, that would be a nice perk to a finding a well stocked shop like that. As far as time goes, I'm still very much a "noob" but can shave now in about the same time it took me with a disposable and some goop except the difference is that now I look forward to it (thus the time passes) whereas I really HATED shaving before.

Top Bottom