What's new

Wall Street Journal article....

http://finance.yahoo.com/family-hom...-fancy-shavers-leaves-some-men-feeling-nicked

they make it seem like de shaving is dangerous and expensive.

"Despite occasionally suffering deep gashes, he swears by the close shave delivered by his 1958 gold-plated Gillette toggle razor, bought for about $260 in an eBay auction...."

It can be dangerous and it usually is expensive. I'll always remember that time I took a chunk out of my lip because I was speeding (first couple of weeks of DE shaving). I've spent more in 3 yrs of DE/SE shaving gear than I did in a decade (or more) of Mach3/Sensor shaving. It's not even worth looking for non-personal examples on this very board. I admire the guys with just one razor, a few blades restocked frequently and one shaving cream and AS (do they exist?), but they're vastly outnumbered by the big spenders.

$260 is high for a DE, but witness the recent Feather and PILS purchases or the sheer number of razors some guys own. The latter have spent more in shipping than a Mach3 shaver. Glad one of those guys wasn't interviewed!

DE shaving DOES take much longer than cartridge shaving. If it doesn't, you were shaving wrong with the cartridge; welcome to B&B, we can help. :) I've seen several threads over the years where shavers of differing proficiency ask how to shorten their shaves. An inevitable, unhelpful response is always, "get up earlier!" Glad those guys didn't get interviewed!

$1000 worth of blades. What about the guys with 1000's of blades? I find that equally ridiculous, but that's completely their business. I'm part of the club, so I kind of understand. But a guy with 2000 blades interviewed in the article would definitely have set off the average reader's crackpot-o-meter.

I thought it was a good article that covered a lot of ground. Thanks for posting it.

Steve

proxy.php

I like the way the ONE wetshaver they spoke to uses a $260 Toggle. They made it seem like wetshaving is brutally expensive in comparison.

"Allan Neibart believes better versions were made decades ago. Despite occasionally suffering deep gashes, he swears by the close shave delivered by his 1958 gold-plated Gillette toggle razor, bought for about $260 in an eBay auction."

:confused1

Let this article scare stockpilers away so I can stockpile more :biggrin1:
Really, shaving can be overcomplicated if done like they describe it. Sadly, they don't point to B&B.

I read the WSJ article this morning. I guess I can understand hording some of the stuff you are convinced will disappear soon. I mean, I'd rather have a closet full of blades than to wake one day and realize my only choice for new shaving supplies is the latest from Gillette or Schick. Hopefully the stuff will remain popular overseas, so someone will still make good DE or SE blades. With that said, this article makes me feel like I should buy 10000 blades right now. I am only 28, I got a lot of shaving left to do. It also had me itching to start shopping for Injectors at the office. I resisted.

If Mr. $260 Toggle is getting "deep gashes" or whatever it said, he needs to get some direction real quick.

Been a wet shave/DE fan for years, especially after numerous trips abroad where shaving is still hot. Found B&B after this week's Wall St. Journal article about the shaving wars and those still dedicated to the past. Glad to be a member and looking forward to adding a Toggle (watch the price go up since the WSJ story) to my collection of Merkur Futura, etc.!!

Been a wet shave/DE fan for years, especially after numerous trips abroad where shaving is still hot. Found B&B after this week's Wall St. Journal article about the shaving wars and those still dedicated to the past.

Were you reading the comments on that story? :001_smile

That link to the Space Age Razor Race was scary as some of those things actually exist now -
The Laser/microwave Razor is just a laser hair removal machine quite commonly seen in costmetologists places now.
And the Plucker razors are just epilators!

It's not a bad article in so far as it highlights the reasons that many of us are here.
It isn't so much a pro-wetshaving article as it is a negative cartridge article.
It could have been worse certainly, and it's typically what you get when the uninformed interview the uneducated.
The comment about DE shaving taking so long that he only does it on weekends is a key marker that the guy is a noob.

+1
Phil,
The guy must be a NOOB!
For me DE, SE, or Cartridge shaving takes me 10 to 15 minutes.
If the face prep and lather is done right, the shave is great.

John

Top Bottom