What's new

Violet Burn

Hello all,

I recently bought a GFT Violet soap, and while the shave in itself is wonderful (no irritation, very smooth), during the shaving process I have noticed a burning (itching?) sensation. It occurs on the second or third lathering. I know it's the soap since other soaps (Tabac, Proraso) or creams (Trumper Rose, Specik) do not burn or itch.

Did anybody have the same problem with Violet? Is it a known irritant? Or the culprit is some ingredient in the GFT soap?

Any thought would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Sounds as if you may be having a reaction to the soap, try some lather on the inside of your arm for a few minutes as a good test.

Trumper Violet along with Rose soap are usually recommended for people with sensitive skin. I haven't heard of too many folks reporting reactions from these Trumper soaps but really anything can happen as everyone's skin is unique. As you note; it could be the fragrance oils use to give the soap the "violet" scent or it could be something else in the soap that your skin has a reaction to. The only way you'll know is to try another Trumper soap but that gets a bit costly especially if you skin has a reaction to another scent.

If I was in your situation I would avoid buying another Trumper soap - there are too many options available so why take the risk.

Trumper Violet along with Rose soap are usually recommended for people with sensitive skin.

Ironically, the only cosmetic product I've ever had a reaction to was a similar situation with Em's Unscented glycerine soap, also recommended for sensitive skin. Odd . . .

I'm having the same issue w/ HBS Lilac. Great soap, fantastic shave and a mild sting around my mouth and cheeks. This from a guy who has never had a negative reaction to any shave product. I'm chalking it up to the FO. Going to keep using it though because I love the shave I get.

Thanks for all the answers. I will try it on my arm, and see if I get a reaction. If I do, I guess I will get rid of it.

maybe it is a mild antiseptic in the soap......I know that Mama Bear's Rosemary Mint stings like hell because of the EO's in it......but its suppossed to do that.....I wouldn't think that the GFT violet would have any antiseptics in it...but I really haven't sat down and looked at the label........On another note, I know that when I nick myself often, even a gentle soap will burn just because its soap.......and since you are talking about your 3rd pass, I am sure you probably have a few scrapes and micro-nicks...which may burn.......Just my 2 cents.....

I am glad this came up b/c I think everyone has their own ..reactions to certain soaps or creams. I am normally not a sensitive skin guy but my face is very picky when it comes to shaving goods. QED lavender, la toja SC, C&E Sienna, Cade SS,and TOBS Eton college are a few. I will still use them since the burn doesnt really start until the 3rd pass. The Sienna is the only 1 that really burned like hell...I think it was the blade though:(

Top Bottom