What's new

What’s so special about SV?

So I’ve tried a few soaps in the 8 months I’ve been DE shaving and I have to say, there’s something special about SV. My face is really sensitive, dry towards the cheeks and oily towards the nose (diagnosed dermatitis, rosacea and other skin problems), so it’s been hard to find something that works well and doesn’t give me a reaction. Among the stuff I’ve tried is Zingari Man, Haslinger, Tabac (tallow), DR Harris, Proraso, Nivea Sensitive, eShave. All of them produced redness and a burning sensation just a few minutes after applied. Taconic and Stirling didn’t make my face burn, but they did leave it red for a few hours, even in places where I didn’t not apply lather. I always thought fragrance in the soap was the culprit, however over a month ago I tried SV 70th anniversary and didn’t do a thing to my face. The lather feels “light” (compared to the other brands) and I wouldn’t say SV goes easy on fragrance. I thought it was just luck, so after a few shaves with 70th I tried with Opuntia. Same results, no redness, burning, itching, etc. I even went ahead and tried one of their aftershaves, which contain alcohol (big no for me), and nothing happened. So, what’s so special about :ouch1: SV?

I have yet to try MdC, A&E, PAA, Speick, B&M and some others which are sitting in my den, but I just feel like going nuts and getting some more SV soaps and AS

Too bad some of those other (less expensive) classics didn’t work out but, SV is right up there with the best of the best. If you sign up with some vendor’s email lists you can sometimes get it on sale. Pasteur’s comes to mind. I guess I’m lucky, I’ve never had a soap irritate my skin but, I have had brush burn before. As others have mentioned, MdC and Canada Shaving Soap produce excellent lathers. Expensive up front but long lasting soaps.

Indeed, SV is nice, altho, IMHO, another excellent artisan brand. You might have just landed on a formulation friendly to your specific skin issues. Every person has unique characteristics.

IIMA, what is your shaving prep??

saponificio varesino  merkur vision dovo pitralon july 10 2019.jpg

I even went ahead and tried one of their aftershaves, which contain alcohol (big no for me)
There's less alcohol in the SV aftershaves than in others. When ordering from Your Shaving and shipping to the States, the only aftershave they will ship here is SV aftershaves. When someone asked it had to do with the alcohol content. Also Your Shaving has the best pricing on SV products even shipping to the States.

There's less alcohol in the SV aftershaves than in others. When ordering from Your Shaving and shipping to the States, the only aftershave they will ship here is SV aftershaves. When someone asked it had to do with the alcohol content. Also Your Shaving has the best pricing on SV products even shipping to the States.
Almost like a balm with some alcohol added.

So I’ve tried a few soaps in the 8 months I’ve been DE shaving and I have to say, there’s something special about SV. My face is really sensitive, dry towards the cheeks and oily towards the nose (diagnosed dermatitis, rosacea and other skin problems), so it’s been hard to find something that works well and doesn’t give me a reaction.

I think SV is paying attention to good skin care for people with sensitive skin. They do use some synthetic ingredients and a lot of fragrance, if you are OK with that and don't mind the expense, why not use them.

Companies like Speick have been trying to produce more skin friendly shaving soaps (and creams) for decades now. Cost is fairly reasonable.

As time goes on, I find myself preferring simpler formulations without synthetic ingredients, dyes, strong fragrances, preservatives, etc. Unscented soaps with short, simple ingredient lists are not as popular, but worth trying, IMHO.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
... I find myself preferring simpler formulations without synthetic ingredients, dyes, strong fragrances, preservatives, etc.
^^This^^

As much as I like Saponificio Varesino soaps I wish there weren't so many ingredients I don't recognize in there!

And it's getting a bit pricey!

Indeed, SV is nice, altho, IMHO, another excellent artisan brand. You might have just landed on a formulation friendly to your specific skin issues. Every person has unique characteristics.

IIMA, what is your shaving prep??

View attachment 1759464

I wash my face with Cerave cleanser, then proceed to pat with tap water for about two minutes. Then I apply the bloomed water that had been sitting on the soap as a preshave and proceed to bowl lather, then apply the lather to my face. Interesting to note, even the bloomed water from Tabac and DR Harris was enough to give me a burning sensation. I tried with a preshave glyceryn soap, but also got burning and redness

I wash my face with Cerave cleanser, then proceed to pat with tap water for about two minutes. Then I apply the bloomed water that had been sitting on the soap as a preshave and proceed to bowl lather, then apply the lather to my face. Interesting to note, even the bloomed water from Tabac and DR Harris was enough to give me a burning sensation. I tried with a preshave glyceryn soap, but also got burning and redness

Tabac and DR Harris both contain Tetrasodium EDTA and Tetrasodium Etidronate. These are commonly used as chelating agents (softening water) and as preservatives. Some people do seem to have a sensitivity to them.

Not saying that is the issue, necessarily, but I noticed SV does not contain these ingredients. Of course, you don't have to spend $40-50 per shaving soap to avoid these ingredients, either!

The first post in the thread surprises me somewhat, because SV lathering products actually contain a mild detergent/surfactant that is not in most shane soap formulations.

This type of ingredient sometimes causes reactions in some people, although the one they use is definitely one that is on the milder side.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
SV uses quality ingredients. It's expensive, but it's not like you'll go through 4 pucks a year like a lot of other soaps. You might want to try MdC Nature - no scent added and a wonderful list of ingredients. But in your shoes I would be delighted to "have" to use something as nice as SV, and I'd be happy to pay a little extra for a happier result.

Top Bottom