What's new

Vintage Gillette Slim adjustable

I just purchased a Slim adjustable from another B&B member. It is currently in good working condition but I'm debating if I want to just keep it as a collectable or actually use it to shave. If I were to use it to shave I would like to have it restored to new condition. For those who have used these razors what do you recommend? Is it better as a collectable or for use.

Is it NOS (New Old Stock)? If so, there may be an argument for keeping it pristine. Otherwise, use it--that's what it was made for (and, presumably what you bought it for)! Slims are not especially difficult to find, so the argument of keeping it as a "collectible" is a weak one, IMO. Believe me, it'll do you a LOT more good if you shave with it than if it just sits on a shelf gathering dust.

Use it...for pete's sake it's a razor meant to be used and for most of the folks here enjoyed. If it is in good condition no reason to restore it to new condition. I have a couple of slim adjustables, one for home, one for the gym, that way I do not have to carry one back and forth, and at the cost no problem.

They are meant to be used. I felt the same way when i got my first super speed, but I got over it and now it is my most used razor. Someone gave me the advice to treat it like a good tool and it will last.

Ok, Thanks for the advice. What setting would you recommend I start with or is a matter of trial and error?

I personally only have two razors at the moment. My first DE I have paid it forward to a friend who has caught the Wet Shave Fever. It is a 1970 Gillette TTO Black Beauty. The adjuster spring is broken, but it still functions and the black has worn off the handle in spots. It works perfectly fine as a DE shaver and that is how I used it to learn to DE shave. When I acquired a 1930 Gillette New OC I used that exclusively as my daily shaver so I PIF the Black Beauty. Now I have a brand new Muhle R101 that I am learning the ropes on. I am letting my same friend "borrow" My New to try using an open comb. I believe if a razor is shave ready, use it. It is what it was built for. Appreciate it's design and feel. If it does not perform in a manner worthy of your daily shaving, retire it or PIF. If it is everything you expect, use it. If after a while you feel she should be returned to factory new glory, then have her replated or restored. I have seen some absolutely gorgeous re-platings done to old razors in these forums, but I think that should only be done to a razor YOU feel is worthy and have a personal attachment to. To me that is what collecting is.Use her first for a while then decide. Just my opinion.

I believe if a razor is shave ready, use it. It is what it was built for. Appreciate it's design and feel. If it does not perform in a manner worthy of your daily shaving, retire it or PIF. If it is everything you expect, use it. If after a while you feel she should be returned to factory new glory, then have her replated or restored. I have seen some absolutely gorgeous re-platings done to old razors in these forums, but I think that should only be done to a razor YOU feel is worthy and have a personal attachment to. To me that is what collecting is.Use her first for a while then decide. Just my opinion.

Thanks for the advice! I'll definitely give it a few shaves before I decide to restore it.

Ok, Thanks for the advice. What setting would you recommend I start with or is a matter of trial and error?

The collective wisdom seems to be somewhere around 3 or 4, but that's for an "average" face and a newbie. Take that advice as a starting point and go from there. You certainly won't cut your face up too badly on a 3 setting, even if you have no technique at all. That's where I started, and over the years I've migrated up to a 7 or 8 for my best shave. YMMV, so go ahead and experiment--after all, it's a SAFETY razor, right?!

Is it NOS (New Old Stock)? If so, there may be an argument for keeping it pristine. Otherwise, use it--that's what it was made for (and, presumably what you bought it for)! Slims are not especially difficult to find, so the argument of keeping it as a "collectible" is a weak one, IMO. Believe me, it'll do you a LOT more good if you shave with it than if it just sits on a shelf gathering dust.

+1 Too many around to keep it as a collectible. Enjoy the shaves.

Top Bottom