What's new

Vintage Avon find

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
You need to be a better hider of product! Didn't Sun Zu say, "The best way to win a war is to not fight"? :lol:
That, I believe is accurate. Didn't he also say that it's best to be on the top of the hill instead of the one trying to get to the top of the hill?

No matter. We ALL know that between she and I that I ALWAYS have the Moral High Ground!

Oops! Did I just see a lightening bolt? Well, it couldn't have been meant for me, as He never misses!

Oops again! ....... maybe it was just a warning shot?

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I’ve been quietly squirreling away more and more Avon without posting here, but I have to share yesterday’s Black Friday antique store find.

First, I snagged a cased Super Speed at 20% off for the Black Friday sale, and was still reveling in that little victory, and assuming I wouldn’t find any other surprises while I browsed around the 4th shop of the day.

With only 10 minutes left before closing, I stepped into a tiny little room in a back corner where I spot a wicker basket with a janky cardboard sign and a marker-scrawled message: “old Avon $1/ea”

View attachment 1562687

Sitting right on top was the Bay Rum barrel. I shot straight to it and grabbed it instantly realizing from the weight that it was completely FULL!

Popped the cap off as fast as I could and sniff…

🎶 🎼 🎵
there it is

that beautiful juice
🎵 🎼 🎶

I was floating.

View attachment 1562689

Then I remembered the Black Friday sale at 20% off makes this bottle $.80!!!

I consider any Bay Rum or Brisk Spice that I find “in the wild” to be grail level items, and I still can’t stop smiling.

What a nerd.

View attachment 1562683

I also found this bottle of Windjammer Cologne in the same basket for the same $.80! The cap is broken, and it’s only about half-full, but I love Windjammer Aftershave in the summer time, so having the Cologne that I can layer to extend that scent now has me looking forward to warmer weather!!

Happy hunting everyone!
View attachment 1562686

The Bay Rum barrel is indeed a score. Fine stuff, yessssir. But avoid the 1980s "classic" reissue, it's not the same. (not a barrel, bottle with stopper).

AA

The Bay Rum barrel is indeed a score. Fine stuff, yessssir. But avoid the 1980s "classic" reissue, it's not the same. (not a barrel, bottle with stopper).

AA

Ya, e bay is lousy with them, but I've yet to see any of the keepsake 1981 bottles while antiquing, so I haven't sniffed for comparison. Thanks for the heads up because I have been tempted to pick one up online, sometimes the price is pretty low.

My wife and I went antiquing yesterday and I grabbed a full “Straight Eight” bottle of Island Lime. I now have 5 str8 8’s of Island Lime.

I also found an “Avon Classics” book decanter in Tribute (now have 2 in the collection). I don’t see the books in the wild very often, and this one is full, came with the box and the labels are in great shape. Most times the labels on those books are real ratty.

1672111461229.jpeg

1672111483939.jpeg

1672111612591.jpeg

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
My wife and I went antiquing yesterday and I grabbed a full “Straight Eight” bottle of Island Lime. I now have 5 str8 8’s of Island Lime.

I also found an “Avon Classics” book decanter in Tribute (now have 2 in the collection). I don’t see the books in the wild very often, and this one is full, came with the box and the labels are in great shape. Most times the labels on those books are real ratty.

View attachment 1578168
View attachment 1578169
View attachment 1578170
You done good!

Found two bottles today.

First, my favorite, Spicy, in a football-shoe-shaped bottle. I didn't realize the bottle is plastic. Don't care, since I'm not buying the bottle, but what's inside. Problem is, the AS picked up a plastic-y odor from the bottle. I recanted the AS into a glass bottle and have the cap off, so hopefully the plastic smell dissipates. I did splash some on my face, and the plastic smell disappeared quickly with dry down, so all is not lost. Now I need to see if it passes the "wife approved" test.

Also picked up a bottle of Leather, shaped like an owl that smells pretty great.

Found two bottles today.

First, my favorite, Spicy, in a football-shoe-shaped bottle. I didn't realize the bottle is plastic. Don't care, since I'm not buying the bottle, but what's inside. Problem is, the AS picked up a plastic-y odor from the bottle. I recanted the AS into a glass bottle and have the cap off, so hopefully the plastic smell dissipates. I did splash some on my face, and the plastic smell disappeared quickly with dry down, so all is not lost. Now I need to see if it passes the "wife approved" test.

Also picked up a bottle of Leather, shaped like an owl that smells pretty great.

Nice score. I love Leather and wore it a lot this fall. Enjoy!

Found this $4 beauty today, filled with Avon Leather.

I usually buy vintage Avon for the contents, not the bottle, but I've never seen this one before. It's called "Casey's Lanter".

View attachment 1641026

Yes sir! Congrats on that 10 ounce behemoth of a decanter right there.

Avon released three versions of Casey’s Lantern:

Leather - Red glass
Tribute - Amber glass
Island Lime - Green glass

1966 - 1967

I picked up the Bay Rum Gift Set (1964) and the Bay Rum soap (1964-65) and decided to get the whole family together for a photo and thought you Avon freaks might enjoy.

Behold my grand total of approximately 30 oz (I've used about 1/2 of the jug at this point.)

1682460355894.png

1682460417636.png

Found another Avon today - Loverboy. Been looking for this one for awhile. I think it's from the 80's.

Gonna give it a trial run this weekend with out telling the Mrs. See if she catches it!

Attachments

• IMG_8443.JPG
    IMG_8443.JPG
    156.7 KB · Views: 5
Top Bottom