What's new

Vintage Avon find

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I got a king piece with Spicy for Christmas a year or two after high school, IIRC, which would be 1973 to 1975.
You have got to be in the neighborhood my friend.

I have some Blend 7 aftershave in a Bishop. It was my first, and still my favorite vintage Avon scent.

My people, I am one of you.

First photo is the shelf above my desk and the second is (one of) my overflow storage places. There's so much more!

727B33DE-DB0D-44F9-8028-0333415DC917.jpg

IMG_2288.jpg

.... I must be stopped, because I don't have the self-control necessary to stop on my own.

I snagged a bottle of Mesmorize last week. Put it in a bag of odds and ends at a thrift store, guy at the front counter glanced in there and said $5. I say OK, then when I got home I kinda totalled up what I had and figured I got the Avon for free. And it was basically full!

I like it, and so does the Mrs. Just great news all the way around!

I’ve been quietly squirreling away more and more Avon without posting here, but I have to share yesterday’s Black Friday antique store find.

First, I snagged a cased Super Speed at 20% off for the Black Friday sale, and was still reveling in that little victory, and assuming I wouldn’t find any other surprises while I browsed around the 4th shop of the day.

With only 10 minutes left before closing, I stepped into a tiny little room in a back corner where I spot a wicker basket with a janky cardboard sign and a marker-scrawled message: “old Avon $1/ea”

1669485651734.gif

Sitting right on top was the Bay Rum barrel. I shot straight to it and grabbed it instantly realizing from the weight that it was completely FULL!

Popped the cap off as fast as I could and sniff…

🎶 🎼 🎵
there it is

that beautiful juice
🎵 🎼 🎶

I was floating.

1669485828778.gif

Then I remembered the Black Friday sale at 20% off makes this bottle $.80!!!

I consider any Bay Rum or Brisk Spice that I find “in the wild” to be grail level items, and I still can’t stop smiling.

What a nerd.

1669484871599.jpeg

I also found this bottle of Windjammer Cologne in the same basket for the same $.80! The cap is broken, and it’s only about half-full, but I love Windjammer Aftershave in the summer time, so having the Cologne that I can layer to extend that scent now has me looking forward to warmer weather!!

Happy hunting everyone!
1669485502030.jpeg

Eric_75

Not made for these times.
I’ve been quietly squirreling away more and more Avon without posting here, but I have to share yesterday’s Black Friday antique store find.

First, I snagged a cased Super Speed at 20% off for the Black Friday sale, and was still reveling in that little victory, and assuming I wouldn’t find any other surprises while I browsed around the 4th shop of the day.

With only 10 minutes left before closing, I stepped into a tiny little room in a back corner where I spot a wicker basket with a janky cardboard sign and a marker-scrawled message: “old Avon $1/ea”

View attachment 1562687

Sitting right on top was the Bay Rum barrel. I shot straight to it and grabbed it instantly realizing from the weight that it was completely FULL!

Popped the cap off as fast as I could and sniff…

🎶 🎼 🎵
there it is

that beautiful juice
🎵 🎼 🎶

I was floating.

View attachment 1562689

Then I remembered the Black Friday sale at 20% off makes this bottle $.80!!!

I consider any Bay Rum or Brisk Spice that I find “in the wild” to be grail level items, and I still can’t stop smiling.

What a nerd.

View attachment 1562683

I also found this bottle of Windjammer Cologne in the same basket for the same $.80! The cap is broken, and it’s only about half-full, but I love Windjammer Aftershave in the summer time, so having the Cologne that I can layer to extend that scent now has me looking forward to warmer weather!!

Happy hunting everyone!
View attachment 1562686
Nice score! :thumbsup:

That's right... "Lover Boy"
It's not a scent that I have seen on any of the lists around, and it is only marked as Lover Boy. Most likely marketed for the young crowd... I just can't see gramps finishing off a shave with a splash of Lover Boy. It has a nice scent to it, but I just can't nail it down to what? Smells close to the Black Suede, but a little different.

I really enjoy the Avon aftershaves. For the price you just can't go wrong. I am wanting to collect the full set of Apothecary bottles to decant my finds into and part with the empty collector bottles to the collectors.
I’d never heard of it. I was going through some old women’s perfume Avon bottles that I was gonna pitch when I took a 2nd look at the roller skate bottle and smelled it. Turned out it was a male-targeted cologne. Came out in 1980. Don’t think it lasted long.

I always look for Spicy, which is my favorite, and was lucky enough to find three bottles locally for 2 bucks each over the summer. I now have four full bottles.

I love the looks that I get from the sellers when I tell them I'm not really interested in the bottles, and decant them into other vintage bottles.

20221202_215550.jpg

Today's score.

Straight Eight full of Island Lime $5. This is my 4th Island Lime Straight Eight. Adding those and my 6oz basket weave Island Lime bottle brings my stock of Island Lime to 26oz.

The Wild Country cologne was $2. This is my first spray bottle of WC cologne. I know WC is more or less a Clubman clone, but they have unique characteristics to my nose... normally. This particular bottle is the closest match to Clubman of all WC I've smelled!

1670127701364.png

FarmerTan

Today's score.

Straight Eight full of Island Lime $5. This is my 4th Island Lime Straight Eight. Adding those and my 6oz basket weave Island Lime bottle brings my stock of Island Lime to 26oz.

The Wild Country cologne was $2. This is my first spray bottle of WC cologne. I know WC is more or less a Clubman clone, but they have unique characteristics to my nose... normally. This particular bottle is the closest match to Clubman of all WC I've smelled!

View attachment 1566646
I've got an island lime just like that. And yes, I have also found wild country varies. I literally love one bottle and hate the next. Just weird.

I've got an island lime just like that. And yes, I have also found wild country varies. I literally love one bottle and hate the next. Just weird.

I hear that! I have a great big box of all the Wild Country bottles I've aquired. It's always been at the bottom of my favorites list for Avon, but maybe that's just because most Avon I find in the wild is Wild Country, so I just get sick of seeing it.

After recently decanting Pinaud Clubman into glass and realizing it's full potential once the skunk fades (and falling in love with it), I've finally started to warm up to Wild Country.

...but some of the bottles are just NOT like the others. This one from today is the cream of the cream so I'll be using this one up I'm sure.

FarmerTan

It is truly amazing that this thread I started almost 12 years ago is still going strong!
It really is. I remember the first time I read it thinking "I remember Dad getting an Avon decanter every Christmas, and an Old Spice set too."

Then this stinkin' thread has caused me more fights with my lovely War Department than anything else in the last 6 years!

Top Bottom