What's new

Vintage Avon find

Found this $4 beauty today, filled with Avon Leather.

I usually buy vintage Avon for the contents, not the bottle, but I've never seen this one before. It's called "Casey's Lanter".

View attachment 1641026
Yeah, I found a lantern of leather like that. But the gold was pretty messed up. Decanted the contents, then removed all the gold and polished it up. (Dang that took a long time!) Figured a base disc with some bright LED's would make a nice starry pattern on the ceiling. Didn't quite work out as I planned, but now I have a clear lantern for some other project.

Attachments

• IMG_7859.JPG
    IMG_7859.JPG
    185.6 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_7867.JPG
    IMG_7867.JPG
    174.6 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_7870.JPG
    IMG_7870.JPG
    121.2 KB · Views: 6
I’m thinking of selling my duplicates, of which I have dozens.

I’m tempted to list in BST but what to charge? With prices on EBay, it seems with shipping costs included my price would be more than anyone would realistically pay.

I guess my questions is: what would be a fair price, do you think?

I’m tempted to list in BST but what to charge? With prices on EBay, it seems with shipping costs included my price would be more than anyone would realistically pay.

I say figure out realistic shipping costs as that will make likely dictate everything else

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I say figure out realistic shipping costs as that will make likely dictate everything else
Yes.... When I FINALLY (if ever?) get rid (PIF, for I have no idea what I actually paid for!) my unneeded aftershave lotions I'm thinking I am going to put them in one big box and just send the whole lot to some unsuspecting member here!

Oh my, that is a little dastardly!

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.

I’ve done this in the past, but it’s easier and cheaper to pay for a yard/garage sale permit.

We also have local flea markets where you can lease a space for the weekend. I use to pick up those gift sets of dept store AS & Cologne’s every year for quite a few years. While I live to splash on Grey Flannel, my wife hates it most out of all the AS and colognes I have. So I realized I can probably have a lifetime supply of GF from just two GF gift sets, instead of seven GF gift sets. Did the same with a bunch of vintage Polo and yes, sold off four bottles of Avon Island Lime also. :)

I like Island Lime just ok, so I kept two and sold the rest. I was working a couple of year’s ago when my wife and daughters had that garage sale, but every time a man would pick up an aftershave to buy, my wife would ask them if they were traditional wet shavers and they all would say yes! So there’s that! :)

Legion

Staff member

The terms of use say we are not allowed to provide valuations. But yes, with this sort of stuff the shipping can often be worth as much or more than the item.

My advise would probably be to sell them as a lot, or lots, and ship them in bunches. Think of what the minimum you would need to get for each unit, multiply by the number and add postage. Probably not worth selling and posting them one at a time.

My wife uses a shipping app for some things she’s sold online, so I’ll plug in some zip codes and try to come up with an idea of what I’d be looking at. Thanks for the advice!

Yes.... When I FINALLY (if ever?) get rid (PIF, for I have no idea what I actually paid for!) my unneeded aftershave lotions I'm thinking I am going to put them in one big box and just send the whole lot to some unsuspecting member here!

Oh my, that is a little dastardly!
I think I’m going to do this as well. I’m overdue for a PIF.

I’ve done this in the past, but it’s easier and cheaper to pay for a yard/garage sale permit.

We also have local flea markets where you can lease a space for the weekend. I use to pick up those gift sets of dept store AS & Cologne’s every year for quite a few years. While I live to splash on Grey Flannel, my wife hates it most out of all the AS and colognes I have. So I realized I can probably have a lifetime supply of GF from just two GF gift sets, instead of seven GF gift sets. Did the same with a bunch of vintage Polo and yes, sold off four bottles of Avon Island Lime also. :)

I like Island Lime just ok, so I kept two and sold the rest. I was working a couple of year’s ago when my wife and daughters had that garage sale, but every time a man would pick up an aftershave to buy, my wife would ask them if they were traditional wet shavers and they all would say yes! So there’s that! :)
My wife says yard sale also, and we do have several flea markets nearby, though I haven’t considered actually trying that yet.
I’ll be letting go of some Island Lime for sure. I have the wicker glass bottle and the bottle with frosted glass that looks like a giant nail polish bottle, as well as 4 straight 8’s full. I’ll literally never use it all because thanks to you enablers, I now have a veritable sea of after shave.
The terms of use say we are not allowed to provide valuations. But yes, with this sort of stuff the shipping can often be worth as much or more than the item.

My advice would probably be to sell them as a lot, or lots, and ship them in bunches. Think of what the minimum you would need to get for each unit, multiply by the number and add postage. Probably not worth selling and posting them one at a time.
Thats a great idea, thank you. I’ll list groups like you recommend. Maybe a few lots with one of each of the main scents. Also, thank you for keeping me in line with the terms, that was a misstep on my part.

FarmerTan

My wife uses a shipping app for some things she’s sold online, so I’ll plug in some zip codes and try to come up with an idea of what I’d be looking at. Thanks for the advice!

I think I’m going to do this as well. I’m overdue for a PIF.

My wife says yard sale also, and we do have several flea markets nearby, though I haven’t considered actually trying that yet.
I’ll be letting go of some Island Lime for sure. I have the wicker glass bottle and the bottle with frosted glass that looks like a giant nail polish bottle, as well as 4 straight 8’s full. I’ll literally never use it all because thanks to you enablers, I now have a veritable sea of after shave.

Thats a great idea, thank you. I’ll list groups like you recommend. Maybe a few lots with one of each of the main scents. Also, thank you for keeping me in line with the terms, that was a misstep on my part.
And don't forget trades in the BST thread! Trust me, lots of us weirdos, erm, kollector types, would love to try some stuff new to us!

Shipping is insane these days. In most cases it kills the deal.

I just bought an item from another forum member, and the shipping was basically 4X the item cost.

FarmerTan

Shipping is insane these days. In most cases it kills the deal.

I just bought an item from another forum member, and the shipping was basically 4X the item cost.
Ouch. I remember my Dad complaining about a first class stamp going up to 6¢ like it was yesterday!

Yeah, I bought and restored a Craftsman tool box. Paid $5. But it didn't have a tray.

Then found a lone tray for $5 - and asked him to ship it the cheapest possible. He agreed and I thought, "Cool"!
When I got the package the shipping was $18.95!!! So the box cost me $5, and the tray was $24. Yikes!

But it looks good! lol

Attachments

• IMG_8492.JPG
    IMG_8492.JPG
    155.2 KB · Views: 4

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
I'm fairly confident Arctic King only came with Everest.

I'll check the book... back in a moment.

Everest is probably, one of my many favorite's among vintage Avon. I am actually, on my last couple of splashes with the last of it. Sadly, with over 200 vintage and modern aftershave's, I won't be replacing it unless it just jumps up in front of me. But I won't go looking for it.

It was wonderful while it lasted. :(

I love the props in your signature line my brosif! :)
I am a proud member of the Brigands!!

Everest is probably, one of my many favorite's among vintage Avon. I am actually, on my last couple of splashes with the last of it. Sadly, with over 200 vintage and modern aftershave's, I won't be replacing it unless it just jumps up in front of me. But I won't go looking for it.

It was wonderful while it lasted. :(
My friend, you're in luck, because it just jumped up in front of you!

I have some Everest with your name on it, and I'd be delighted to know it's going where it will be loved. It's not one of my favorite scents and I'm certain it won't be used in my den.

Please PM me your details and I'll send it along to you as my way of saying thanks for the years of input you've contributed to this community, which newer members like myself can still reference and use to educate ourselves.

Top Bottom