What's new

Vintage Avon find

that's amazing, you got an island lime AND bay rum, two of the rarer and better Avon scents out there. The bracing lotion is an aftershave, and you'll have to let me know what Patchwork smells like, never heard of that one.

The box is patterned like a patchwork quilt, and it's a PA Dutch themed scent. My guess is powdery floral, but Im hoping for apple pie and Freshly tilled field. I'll give it a whiff and let you know.

edit: Powdery Powder... doesnt smell like my kinda scent out of the bottle, but we'll see how it airs down.

The packaging and bottle remind me of the corning-ware style crockery in my grandparents farmhouse.

Opened it up... Oakmoss... Opens pure Oakmoss. Then Violet. Dries down to musk and sandalwood.

Nice but quite feminine.

Attachments

• IMG_2868.JPG
    IMG_2868.JPG
    993.6 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_2869.JPG
    IMG_2869.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_2870.JPG
    IMG_2870.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_2871.JPG
    IMG_2871.JPG
    1,001.5 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Wild Country is / was Avon's main scent and their version of Pinaud Clubman and to semi-quote a hot sauce commercial .. they put that $hit in everything. :001_tongu

They made it by the crude oil freighter load - I have enough of it to choke a few horses.

I can detect a distinct difference between old versions and more current ones, but no playdoh :biggrin1:

The wife has a different take on this. Pointed out that finding empties of certain scents points to popularity more than full ones we find. Saying that Island Lime wasn't liked here in Oz as its been put away in box and not touched for 50 years. But wild country often found empty.

I've amassed half a liter of lime without trying.

Clint ive found in country regions more as it seemed to come in gun decanters here. Guns probably not popular decanters for us city folk. Gun ownership here in the cities pretty next to none. Its a country thing gun ownership or interest.

I feel the same way. This collection had a bunch of empty "Clint" bottles, not a drop of it to be found. I'm guessing the original owner was a fan.

I think the Lime was 1 full, 2 emptys.

Clint was 5 or 6 emptys. No full.

Nothing else stood out to me as particularly weighted towards empty/full. There were a lot of Wild country both full and empty.

There must be some difference, as my SIL buys the (new) Wild Country for her husband, and said the classic version that I have smelled "ripe" (her words). I told her the older stuff is probably stronger, but the bottle she smelled was O

My 'sport of kings' Avon horse with 'New World' in it arrived today. Seems to be a scent unique to the Australian market. It's kinda like an Imperial Leather scent with a few twists. Bit darker than the bottle of current Imperial leather I have here. Although I'm sure it was certainly different in 1976 when this scent was out.

I really like this one. The wife will like it too. Great big bottle of it too. $4US makes it a bargain.

20200609_122054.jpg
20200609_122111.jpg

Ad Astra

The Instigator
My 'sport of kings' Avon horse with 'New World' in it arrived today. Seems to be a scent unique to the Australian market. It's kinda like an Imperial Leather scent with a few twists. Bit darker than the bottle of current Imperial leather I have here. Although I'm sure it was certainly different in 1976 when this scent was out.

I really like this one. The wife will like it too. Great big bottle of it too. $4US makes it a bargain.

View attachment 1110831View attachment 1110832

Very cool! Seen a lot of Avon, never seen that!

AA

AC49ED24-14D2-43B1-B74D-D299BA82679E.jpeg
$4.00 per bottle all full in box I was happy to find these at a antique store and the guy selling them was there and has more to sell he is checking for island lime and bay rum for me I hope he has some

Found a nice bunch o bottles of Avon at an estate sale this morning.

A few had gone bad, but most were in good shape. I took about half of what they had - 4 Oland, 2 Bravo, 1 Island Lime, and four empty book bottles. $1 a piece. I'll be busy decanting for awhile!
IMG_7410.JPG

I believe I have a lifetime supply of all the Avon flavors I like. And I don't have to ration - if I feel in the mood for a scent, I can splash it on with no worries. Nice place to be.

The wife has a different take on this. Pointed out that finding empties of certain scents points to popularity more than full ones we find. Saying that Island Lime wasn't liked here in Oz as its been put away in box and not touched for 50 years. But wild country often found empty.

I've amassed half a liter of lime without trying.

Clint ive found in country regions more as it seemed to come in gun decanters here. Guns probably not popular decanters for us city folk. Gun ownership here in the cities pretty next to none. Its a country thing gun ownership or interest.
Yep - Lime was "underwhelming" or perhaps just "whelming" - I mean it wasn't bad, but if I want lime, Truefitt & Hill's is fantastic and if I'm on the cheap, a pint of Gabel's Drops of Lime is very good if a bit "Jolly Rancher" around the edges.

IIRC, English Leather Lime was another weak-sibling of the original that I bought back in the day and it sat undisturbed in the back of the middle-left drawer of my bathroom cabinet from about 1982 til about 1993 when I moved. (lol) It went to Goodwill and was probably passed on to someone who gave it to someone who put it in the back of a drawer til it sold recently on Ebay for $30+ ;-)

Sometimes vintage is amazing. Sometimes, it's just old.

I made a mistake (Bob Ross would call it a happy accident)!
One of the decanters of Oland that I got the other day is Oland Cologne! Oh boy is that stuff powerful! Put it in a separate bottle so as not to accidentally mix it down the road with the splash. Happy accident indeed!

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I made a mistake (Bob Ross would call it a happy accident)!
One of the decanters of Oland that I got the other day is Oland Cologne! Oh boy is that stuff powerful! Put it in a separate bottle so as not to accidentally mix it down the road with the splash. Happy accident indeed!
Well done! I try to collect my favourite Avon scents in cologne form, in the standard non-novelty bottles. I think the colognes are far superior to the aftershaves and currently have Oland, Spicy, Wild Country, Wind Jammer, a rare Wild Spice, and a rare early 'Cologne For Men'. I am still after Leather, Hud, Clint, Excalibur, and a few other early ones. If I get then in novelty bottles then I decant them into the standard ones. Sometimes it is the bottles that are the hardest to find👍

Oland in cologne. ..! That would be awesome. I'm sitting on only one cologne. The tiki bottle of Tai Winds. I'm currently contemplating a cologne bottle of Wild Country. Hmmmmm

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
Oland in cologne. ..! That would be awesome. I'm sitting on only one cologne. The tiki bottle of Tai Winds. I'm currently contemplating a cologne bottle of Wild Country. Hmmmmm
Wild Country cologne is superb; here is mine in a fantastic bottle. A tiki Tai Winds cologne is another one I am after. Tough to find here in the UK.
WC.jpg

Top Bottom