What's new

Vintage Avon find

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
That's new to me, Eclipse. I've heard of Spicy AS and cologne, and the newer Brisk Spice, but never Wild Spice. And there it is bright as day. Hmm.
Here is another vendor image, the only thing I can find is from parfumo.net - "Wild Spice is a perfume by Avon for men and was released in 1978. The scent is powdery-floral. The production was apparently discontinued". Not one I have seen before but there are probably many like that. For some reason the Avon scents from the 1980's onward do not interest me, shame as there are plenty about. It will be with me in a few days so I will let you know how it smells but if anyone knows anything else then please do tell. Does anyone know if scents were released in the UK and USA with different names, as perhaps this is one? For example was Clint release as Hud in the UK as they look the same right down to the bottle? 👍

AWS2.jpg

Last edited:
I had Clint - was sort of a weak Avon Leather-type aroma to me.

I might try experimenting with a mixture of Wild Country and Spicy. Maybe I can come up with a powdery spice scent I like. Have plenty of both, so, why not?

Found a vendor selling full avon bottles on eBay for non-crazy prices and was able to snag a few to replenish my dwindling aftershave supply.

Got some Moonwind, Brocade, Charisma, and Bravo. First three are cologne's, but if the alcohol is excessive, I'll mix em with witch hazel to "aftershave" them up.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
The Wild Spice has arrived along with another beauty! To me the Wild Spice is between Oland and Spicy, not very remarkable or distinctive to be honest which is maybe why it seemingly did not sell well. The Mandate is superb, never seen it in cologne form, it is really nice.👍

20200425_093101.jpg

Found a vendor selling full avon bottles on eBay for non-crazy prices and was able to snag a few to replenish my dwindling aftershave supply.

Got some Moonwind, Brocade, Charisma, and Bravo. First three are cologne's, but if the alcohol is excessive, I'll mix em with witch hazel to "aftershave" them up.

Remember, back in the 60's and 70's, Avon marketed their scents as "cologne" for both men and women. I believe Moonwind was marketed as a cologne for women, but I do recall from an empty bottle I had that it had kind of an Old Spice vibe to it.

I looked it up and all the user descriptions are soap, powder, English Rose and Jasmine, and a base note of vetiver. So I guess that’s what I’ve been smelling in tabac all these years.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I looked it up and all the user descriptions are soap, powder, English Rose and Jasmine, and a base note of vetiver. So I guess that’s what I’ve been smelling in tabac all these years.

Sounds like something different and good!

Brocade; have not tried.

AA

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Recent accident; broke a Brisk Spice and a Bracing Lotion (formula car).

Anguish! Yet Brisk Spice is really pretty close to Spicy, and Bracing Lotion was pretty generic. Bottle was cool, though.

AA

Here's this week's haul and impressiveI must say as nearly all are full and mint in box. Something hard to do here in Australia unlike you guys in the US. The jeep is certainly a favorite and tai winds the winner scent wise.

Jeep :Deep woods
64 Mustang :windjammer
68 Porsche : Wild Country
51 Studebaker :Tai wind
Corn cob pipe: wild country
Bloodhound pipe: spicy
Sterling Six: empty windjammer
Tiki bottle:tai winds
Rook: refilled with clubman
Guitar: wild country.
Whisky cask: Deep woods.

Got most as a lot and saved a bomb on shipping. Can only buy local as international shipping for these is outrageous and pushes most bottles to the $80 ea mark.
20200429_090252.jpg

Can anyone give me a scent profile for New World? I can't find anything on it. Short term release back in the day I presume. Probably means it's pretty ordinary.

Can anyone give me a scent profile for New World? I can't find anything on it. Short term release back in the day I presume. Probably means it's pretty ordinary.

I've not heard of that one. It is interesting.. any Avon from pre-2000 could easily be considered "vintage" but most of the stuff talked about in this thread would be "deep vintage" (to use a somewhat arbitrary term), older than 1980 (ones that come in the various decanters). I think there were some worthwhile scents post-1980, but there were so many that it's hard to find the gems. I love Mesmerize, myself, which is still one of their most popular scents. I remember one called "Tomorrow" that was a very nice spicy/oriental type fragrance. Even the Derek Jeter line wasn't bad if you like more modern, shower-gel/woody scents, though I think that was more mid-2000's..

Judging by the box and decanter I'd say it's pre 80's. Found a few on image search but no reviews. Short lived isn't a good sign it smells good lol

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Recent accident; broke a Brisk Spice and a Bracing Lotion (formula car).

Anguish! Yet Brisk Spice is really pretty close to Spicy, and Bracing Lotion was pretty generic. Bottle was cool, though.
AA

I don't know Mike. It's true Bracing Lotion does have an unidentifiable scent. In other words, it can't be described or recognized as having a 'similar smell' to anything else. But Sure Winner Bracing Lotion's scent is such a clean scent, I think it's one of the vintage Avon scents I wouldn't want to be without.

My hot sauce bottle of it is getting really low and I don't like buying aftershaves, because I am trying to use up the 200 or so bottles that I already have. But I might need to go searching for more Sure Winner Bracing Lotion. :)

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I don't know Mike. It's true Bracing Lotion does have an unidentifiable scent. In other words, it can't be described or recognized as having a 'similar smell' to anything else. But Sure Winner Bracing Lotion's scent is such a clean scent, I think it's one of the vintage Avon scents I wouldn't want to be without.

My hot sauce bottle of it is getting really low and I don't like buying aftershaves, because I am trying to use up the 200 or so bottles that I already have. But I might need to go searching for more Sure Winner Bracing Lotion. :)

Sure Winner Bracing Lotion seems to come in the formula car, the VW Rabbit, a VW hippie Bus (ugly), a quarterback, a stickshift, a guitar ...

AA

The red VW kombi bus was my main target to find lol Love it. Saved up to buy one as a kid to drive to the coast and surf. Turns out I'm such a hippy I've grown up never owing a car.

Sure winner comes in the safety razor too right?

I'm trying to find the fire engine complete currently.

The red VW kombi bus was my main target to find lol Love it. Saved up to buy one as a kid to drive to the coast and surf. Turns out I'm such a hippy I've grown up never owing a car.

Yes, my Sure Winner is in the big razor.

Ad Astra

The Instigator

Yes, it does. I bet it tips over easy!

I feel bad I called the VW bus ugly; the one I saw had peeling rainbow stickers ... I've bought many an ugly Avon for what matters: the aftershave!

If you like Avon and hippy stuff, you should see the 1969 Bravo bottle/box - psychedelic!

AA

Top Bottom