What's new

Vintage Avon find

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I had not realised how many different types of bottles that AVON had put out. I knew that there was a quite a few but I am seeing a lot that I have never seen before.

There's an Avon collecting guide, I have a copy.

It's an amazing story, really. They could make anything, seemingly.

AA

Well done! I try to collect my favourite Avon scents in cologne form, in the standard non-novelty bottles. I think the colognes are far superior to the aftershaves and currently have Oland, Spicy, Wild Country, Wind Jammer, a rare Wild Spice, and a rare early 'Cologne For Men'. I am still after Leather, Hud, Clint, Excalibur, and a few other early ones. If I get then in novelty bottles then I decant them into the standard ones. Sometimes it is the bottles that are the hardest to find👍

I recently picked up Spicy, in the Indian Chieftain decanter, which in these days of cultural appropriation being frowned on might prompt me to move it to another bottle.

That said, love the scent. Have no Old Spice to compare it to, but it is definitely a branch off the same fragrance tree.

I also picked up two Avon colognes: Black Suede, wonderful powdery goodness, and Feraud Pour Homme.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I recently picked up Spicy, in the Indian Chieftain decanter, which in these days of cultural appropriation being frowned on might prompt me to move it to another bottle.

That said, love the scent. Have no Old Spice to compare it to, but it is definitely a branch off the same fragrance tree.

I also picked up two Avon colognes: Black Suede, wonderful powdery goodness, and Feraud Pour Homme.
Put a little of that Spicy in a bottle with some drops of Bergamot essential oil. Makes a wonderful summer scent pick me up!

Local antique shop today- Avon "Tribute" cologne on the left- very cool bottle.
Haul 20 7 3.jpg

First Avon purchase. No idea on if it is even vintage. As I was roaming about this flea market I came up on a guy with some of this stuff. I liked the shaving mug as it was obviously shaving related. Then the bulldog as we have had an English bulldog in the house for about the last 10 years or so.

The Oland smells like Special Reserve a bit.

What do I need to be looking for. Avon NEWBIE here. Very few had anything in them but all had the labels and some in the boxes.

KM

IMG_20200703_165427.jpg
IMG_20200703_165332.jpg

FarmerTan

You will probably love that scent more in the winter my friend.

My absolute favorite is Blend 7.

Both of those scents are from the '60s I believe.

My other favorite is Tai Winds.

A lot of vintage Avon is sublime.

I feel like I will end up going back. It is only about 4 minutes from the camper.

What summer scents are they known for?

Or a signature scent I need to look for?

KM

I feel like I will end up going back. It is only about 4 minutes from the camper.

KM

As I recall, most guys wear "light" scents in the summer months, and the more powerful "bold" scents in the cooler months. YMMV

Light Avon scents (to my nose) - Island Lime, Excaliber, Tai Winds, Windjammer, Tribute

Heavy scents - Oland, Bravo, Leather, Wild Country.

Medium (all-around) scents - Deep Woods, Spicy (though it fades fast on me), Everest

KM

DEFINITELY get Windjammer. Love it in those sunny days. Island lime good too but it doesn't stick around like windjammer does.

Oland is my daily scent here in Winter. Love the smoke element to it.

Congrats on the pickups. STILL looking for Bravo and Tribute.

It depends what you like. Island Lime, Leather, Deep Woods, and Spicy are as their name says. Oland is dark and smokey, Tribute is camphor and burnt orange, Windjammer is lemony and fresh. Everest has a burnt floral base to me, while Bravo is a sweet incense with tobacco and banana. Excaliber is a light spice, Tai Winds is Asiatic like Jade East.

While this is no way written in stone. If they have any of these in bottles yet. What is a "good" price to pay? Again, I know nothing is in stone but just want to make sure I am not spending crazy money. So far I haven't.

KM

Ad Astra

The Instigator

I have it, too, to honor the Sioux culture.

AA

Ad Astra

The Instigator
While this is no way written in stone. If they have any of these in bottles yet. What is a "good" price to pay? Again, I know nothing is in stone but just want to make sure I am not spending crazy money. So far I haven't.

KM

I've paid $1 to $20, for one I really wanted.

It kind of evens out, when you have, ah, 60-70 of them.

AA

FarmerTan

I've paid $1 to $20, for one I really wanted.

It kind of evens out, when you have, ah, 60-70 of them.

AA
I think I have NEVER paid $20 for any Avon. But honestly, have you seen the price of modern stuff? And smelled it?
I'd pay a premium for the old stuff, if I was as rich as I am good looking!

Top Bottom