What's new

Vintage and unusual aftershaves: Post your photos

P1040376-side.JPG

I found this one today at an antique shop. It's my first time encountering the Veg, vintage or new. I gave it a quick sniff and all I get is lilac no cat pee at all. Splashed a little on my wrist same thing, just splashed a little more, just lilac and a little powder. I really expected this to be overpowering, but it seems very mild to me. I'll have to give it another go tomorrow it may not be the best time to test I can still catch whiffs of the Avon Spicy I splashed on this morning 13 hours ago that stuff has stating power.

Anyone have any Idea how old this bottle is?

IMG_20180628_143210998_HDR.jpg
Just had a big old bottle of Avon Tai winds arrive in the post. A £5. From flea bay, and 90% full. Scent is, let's say interesting.

This past weekend, I scored a late '90s bottle of P&G Old Spice, about 3/4 full. It smells terrific - must be before they changed the recipe.
Also found an early Old Spice mug box. There was no mug in it, but I have all the milk glass mugs, I believe. Someone was using it to keep their pay stubs and electric bill receipts in.
IMG_20180704_115500.jpg IMG_20180704_114349.jpg

My father came of age in the cartridge era and has used those and electric razors most of his life... His father (passed away a number of years ago) also only used electrics for the last few decades of his life - so I've not really inherited any shaving equipment from either of them unfortunately. :) However, recently and randomly as a long shot I asked my dad if he had any old after shaves sitting around that he didn't want. He did some digging and came up with these for me - various older glass bottled Aqua Velvas (Surf, Ice Sport and Sport) as well as some Old Spice Original in a ceramic container which came from my grandfather.

None of these are particularly rare or spectacular of course but I genuinely like both Aqua Velva and Old Spice so it's kind of fun to have them in glass bottles and even more fun to have them passed down from my father and grandfather. (My father doesn't generally use aftershave so I'm not even sure why he held onto these for so long)

OldAfterShaves.jpg

My father came of age in the cartridge era and has used those and electric razors most of his life... His father (passed away a number of years ago) also only used electrics for the last few decades of his life - so I've not really inherited any shaving equipment from either of them unfortunately. :) However, recently and randomly as a long shot I asked my dad if he had any old after shaves sitting around that he didn't want. He did some digging and came up with these for me - various older glass bottled Aqua Velvas (Surf, Ice Sport and Sport) as well as some Old Spice Original in a ceramic container which came from my grandfather.

None of these are particularly rare or spectacular of course but I genuinely like both Aqua Velva and Old Spice so it's kind of fun to have them in glass bottles and even more fun to have them passed down from my father and grandfather. (My father doesn't generally use aftershave so I'm not even sure why he held onto these for so long)

View attachment 897221

That's a wonderful story and great scores for you!

timwcic

"Look what I found"
A selection of goodies from last weeks estate sale. Among them is 2 quarts of Dickinson's yellow label witch hazel in a one gallon glass.

FCB8AE67-80ED-48C6-8B39-316D3EF77293-45393-00001443FB30474F.jpeg

479C0154-4E59-4B15-87FA-448565C76DFF.png
Great finds here, especially the Matchabelli. I used to use it back in the day.
Not sure if you are replying to me but no Matchiabelli here. Puig, Dunhill, Rochas and Bourjois golden oldies. Found some Jovan Oleg Cassini cologne/aftershave the other day. Nice patchouli scent.

Great finds here, especially the Matchabelli. I used to use it back in the day.

If I could find an "new" aftershave that smelled like it, I would use it frequently. As it stands, I'll use it for special occasions. It's a wonderful scent. Lemon, Sandalwood, Leather. Perfect.

Top Bottom