What's new

Vegetarians

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I used to be an ovo-lacto-vegetarian.

Now I'm a baco-porko-vegetarian.

Wow... there are a lot of meat eaters in this thread.

I'm not only a vegetarian, but I love punk music. Always have (since 1982) and always will.

This is a song by one of the greats, Propagandhi, a punk band from Canada. This is a song about Sandor Katz, who wrote a book about "humane meat." Well, Propagandhi responded by writing a song about humanely killing and eating Sandor Katz for dinner. Sandor was not amused.

Below are the words, and the song. I hope you enjoy it, although you probably won't. But I hope it makes at least one person think about the cruelty of eating meat. I used to eat meat... then something "clicked"... Meat is wrong.

You will never convince me that meat is ok, and perhaps I'll never convince you that meat is wrong, but who knows.... if just one person looks at meat different Propagandhi has succeeded.....

Enjoy!

I swear I did my best to ensure that
his final moments were swift and free from fear.
But consideration should be made for the fact
that Sandor Katz was my first kill

So I trust the reader will
Understand that while his screams may well have seemed
like conscious objections, they were in reality
simply a request to honour his strength and speed!

With gratitude and tenderness I singed
every single hair from his body,
Gently placed his decapitated head in a stock pot,
boiled off his flesh and made a spread-able head cheese

Because I believe that one can only relate with
another living creature by completely destroying it
I'm sure Sandor's friends and family will appreciate this!

A rationale so moronic it defies belief.
Post-vegetarian I must submit to you-respectfully-
be careful what kind of world you wish for.
Someday it may come knocking on your door.

"Lemme in! LEMME THE F____ IN!
I just wanna 'fully relate.'
I swear I'll do my best to ensure that
your final moments are swift and free from fear!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2gGwTjkcIs

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2gGwTjkcIs[/YOUTUBE]

Not to hijack the thread but I heard someone say the funniest thing the other day in a restaurant while dining with a vegetarian companion...

"Salad isn't food...salad is what food eats."

:lol: Brilliant! That reminds me of John Pinettte. "Salad isn't food, salad comes with the food. Salad is a promissory note that food will soon arrive.."

Can't say as I am vegetarian. I do eat veggies, but not exclusively. There are some very tasty Indian dishes that are all vegetarian, though...I think I'm too much a fan of bacon, ham, ect. to give it up.

Those song lyrics remind me of two things. One is Salvador Dali's cookbook, and the other is the Reverend Horton Heat song, Eat Steak. I respect your difference of opinion.

Last edited:
:lol: Brilliant! That reminds me of John Pinettte. "Salad isn't food, salad comes with the food. Salad is a promissory note that food will soon arrive.."

Can't say as I am vegetarian. I do eat veggies, but not exclusively. There are some very tasty Indian dishes that are all vegetarian, though...I think I'm too much a fan of bacon, ham, ect. to give it up.

Those song lyrics remind me of two things. One is Salvador Dali's cookbook, and the other is the Reverend Horton Heat song, Eat Steak. I respect your difference of opinion.

I have Dali's cookbook at home. I'm about to ebay it. I think they go for quite a bit nowadays.

BTW, I am very serious about being a vegetarian and not eating meat, but I still have a sense of humor. The comment "I believe that's called a treyf-eterian" actually did cause me to LOL. hehehe... I just did it again.

I can't say I like Rev. Horton Heat, but I would KILL A COW for his guitar, a stunning Orange Gretsch. :001_tt2:

Ok, I wouldn't kill a cow, but it is pretty amazing. :laugh:

proxy.php

One of my 2 daughters became a vegetarian at the age of 10, and still is 2 years later. Having her around has forced me to change the way I cook for the family (I'm a single dad with full custody) and I have to say it's definitely for the better. I've lost weight, have more energy, and in general feel better after dinners with the family. I still eat meat, but not nearly as much.

I'm not sure if a vegetarian diet is just healthier by default than a meat-based one, or if it's because we have to think more about what is prepared... but either way, reducing meat intake seems to have been a good thing in my family.

I'd love to see a vegetarian recipe thread regardless.

One of my 2 daughters became a vegetarian at the age of 10, and still is 2 years later. Having her around has forced me to change the way I cook for the family (I'm a single dad with full custody) and I have to say it's definitely for the better. I've lost weight, have more energy, and in general feel better after dinners with the family. I still eat meat, but not nearly as much.

I'm not sure if a vegetarian diet is just healthier by default than a meat-based one, or if it's because we have to think more about what is prepared... but either way, reducing meat intake seems to have been a good thing in my family.

I'd love to see a vegetarian recipe thread regardless.

Although I am a vegetarian, and my 8 year old son has never had meat, I think God/Mother Nature intended us to eat little meat. Saber Tooth Tigers and Woolly Mammoths were hard to catch. The way "poor" people eat in foreign countries, with a little meat, and lots of grains and starches, is the healthiest way to eat.

A vegetarian diet is healthier by default (unless you eat potato chips, donuts, french fries, and ice cream for every meal). And I'm impressed with your daughter! Wow! Making that decision at 10, and sticking with it for two years! You are doing a heck of a job of parenting.

I love not having that horrible "stuffed" feeling after I eat.

Keep up the good work! :thumbup:

I have Dali's cookbook at home. I'm about to ebay it. I think they go for quite a bit nowadays.

I can't say I like Rev. Horton Heat, but I would KILL A COW for his guitar, a stunning Orange Gretsch. :001_tt2:

Ok, I wouldn't kill a cow, but it is pretty amazing. :laugh:

Yeah, I think those cook books, especially the hardcover with the dust jacket would be worth quite a bit nowadays. I totally agree with the guitar envy of the Rev. I wouldn't mind half of Brian Setzer's guitars either. Lucky devil. There is nothing so powerful as that great Gretsch sound! I used to listen to a lot of punk myself, although lately I've become more a fan of rockabilly/pyschobilly. I do have one question for the veggie-fans out there...What do you eat for Thanksgiving dinner? Is there a tofurkey big enough to share with friends and family? or?

When I was growing up it would be a kind of rice and tofu meatloaf made with all the standard "turkey seasonings" and packet mix gravy, which for the most part is vegetarian.

More recently though, since it no one really liked that loaf, it was just tradition, we've switched to hot tofu sandwiches. Pretty much a hot chicken sandwich, replace chicken with tofu slices. (Although I eat turkey now).

And stuffing cooked in aluminum foil rather than a turkey butt. (with no sausage or other meat in it)

Luckily my family isn't vegan so we still have green bean casserole with cheese and mashed potatoes with cream cheese - incidentally the best secret ingredient for mashed potatoes ever.

Yeah, I think those cook books, especially the hardcover with the dust jacket would be worth quite a bit nowadays. I totally agree with the guitar envy of the Rev. I wouldn't mind half of Brian Setzer's guitars either. Lucky devil. There is nothing so powerful as that great Gretsch sound! I used to listen to a lot of punk myself, although lately I've become more a fan of rockabilly/pyschobilly. I do have one question for the veggie-fans out there...What do you eat for Thanksgiving dinner? Is there a tofurkey big enough to share with friends and family? or?

I love Gretsch guitars, but don't play any music that a Gretsch could play. I have a Gibson Les Paul Custom which I love.

The only psycho-billy I have on my iPod is Tiger Army, who I like.

For Thanksgiving I eat everything except the turkey. The stuffing and gravy is vegetarian. I sometimes have a tofurky, but not usually.

I went ovo-lacto vegetarian for a year a few years ago and I noticed that I felt a lot better on that diet; I couldn't give up dairy and cheese, though, but ate no meat, poultry, or fish. I fell back to my omnivorous ways but my wife and I have seriously considered going back to that. We don't generally cook meat at home anyway, so it won't be that big of a deal. Maybe I'll make it my New Year's resolution this year.

EDIT: When I was eating vegetarian and visited a friend's house, I ate what I felt I could. If there was chicken or beef broth in the vegetable soup, for example, I didn't make an issue of it because that would have been rude. I ate meat at the meal if there wasn't any polite way around it, but I paid the digestive price the next day. For the most part, avoiding meat or meat products really wasn't that hard, I just got lazy.

Last edited:
I love Gretsch guitars, but don't play any music that a Gretsch could play. I have a Gibson Les Paul Custom which I love.

The only psycho-billy I have on my iPod is Tiger Army, who I like.

For Thanksgiving I eat everything except the turkey. The stuffing and gravy is vegetarian. I sometimes have a tofurky, but not usually.

Cool. I love Tiger Army! Sadly, I've only seen them in concert once...

Top Bottom