What's new

Vegetarians

Guess I am convert to the other world. I was raised vegetarian- lacto vegetarian. Unfortunately fell of the wagon when I hit college. Pretty much can still live of a non meat diet, but probably couldnt go back to 100% vegetables.
A recipe starter as someone suggested would be awesome.

Allright.. I'll chime. Vegetarian for what, twenty years? Jeesh. We raise chickens for our own eggs, and we do cheese and half and half (!). Whole family is this way, but my "I know everything" (but not shaving yet!) thirteen year old has pretty much jumped the veggie boat, at least when we're not looking! That sounds like bad parenting... I'll explain briefly: when he turned 13 we told him he could make his own food choices, with ONE caveat: he had to read John Robbins Diet for a New America completely before we'd buy and cook meat for him. After the read, we'll happily accommodate his dietary desires. I'm a big BBQ'r from way back, and last year helped a neighbor process rabbits at his place, so meat cooking is a no-brainer.
Anyway, nice to see yet another broad expression of how diverse this group of folks is here at B & B!
Now about that vegetarian badge... ;-)

ps. goby: N. Cal: not in my neighborhood by any chance? --and nice sig.

Last edited:
I've been a vegetarian for about 11 years mainly for humane/ethical reasons and I don't miss the meat.

I wanted to address the dinner party issue brought up earlier: for me, and for most other vegetarians, we will NOT eat meat, broth, gelatin, or other animal products out of convenience or to be polite. The comparison to feeding someone with religious or health restrictions is a good one. I know it's a big pain to fix a separate meal or to make something vegetarian, but as has been mentioned please let us know if you're not planning to make vegetarian food. I'm not saying I'll be pleased with sitting through a dinner I can't eat, but at least I'll be prepared. Keep in mind, though, that making a vegetarian meal doesn't mean lentil salads and patchouli stew. Lots of great food that you probably already eat, like lasagna (with marinara sauce), egg plant parm, certain pizza, tons of curries, and lot of Chinese dishes, are or can be vegetarian.

Whatever you do, please don't hide meat, broth, or something else in a dish with the thought that "it's just a little meat" or "what they don't know won't hurt them." I have family that still tries to pull those cute little routines from time to time and it's exceptionally insulting and dismissive.

Most vegetarians are very accommodating and understanding, all we ask is for the same from those around us.

I'm not strictly vegetarian, but cut my meat comsumption to only a handful of times each month. I realize now that I only ever ate the typical, meat-heavy American diet because of convention and ready availability. I really don't have much desire for meat, and usually only eat it on the occasions when a suitable vegetarian meal isn't available.

We don't eat much meat; my wife only likes chicken, which I generally don't care for, so we usually do something else. I must say, by and large, we don't really miss eating meat every day at all. We eat it only rarely at home, instead eating mostly vegetables and fish. Obviously, there's no substitute for a burger, steak, or barbecue. None of these things should be eaten more than once a month, however, so if we want it, we eat out. We tend to eat a Greek-style diet--lots of vegetables, legumes, olives (and olive oil), fish, as well as a bit of bread.

Top Bottom