What's new

Vegetarians

There are un-intended consequences to being vegetarian, although you may save sheep cattle pigs and poultry, the land needed to sustain a vegetarian lifestyle requires more plowed land unfortunately this cuts into habitat for wild life- Deer, Raccoons, Birds and other animals. Unfortunately there is no simple answer to sustainability issues on either side of the meat no meat dinner table. Eating meat causes it's problems as does vegetarianism. Life is never simple

That's not really true. Look at how much grain/soy/corn is required for production of sheep/cattle/pigs/poultry and you'll find that land mass wise it's much more space efficient to feed the crops directly to humans.

Ultimately for environmental sustainability reasons the world would be a much better place if everyone on earth used insects as their main source of protein. They are the most efficient protein energy on earth. That is they require the least amount of recourses to produce a human consumable protein. Where as cattle require 7-8kg of feed per 1kg of meat produced insects require 1.1kg of feed per 1kg of "meat" produced.

I've been a vegetarian for a little over a year now. My mother and younger sister are also vegetarians, for 4 and 5 years respectively.

For me its a variety of reasons. Sustainability is a big thing. About 10x (or more) the plant based food and material can be made from the same area of land. A vegetarian diet is healthier. And cheaper, a big plus for a student. I simply see no reason to eat meat or use animal products when the same or better results can be had without them.

I'm not a vegetarian, but am a what I call a vegan sympathizer. I'd buy everything vegan if I could do so reasonably. Moral issues with animal treatment, environmental concerns from greenhouse gasses to water usage (takes like 30 gallons of water to raise 1 pound of beef), and health concerns like prostate cancer due to eating red meats would be why. It's just a PITA, and often buying meat is cheaper. I try to avoid it, but I'm pretty bad a lot of the time.

I love my omnivorous diet and appreciate tasty things of all kinds. I've had some out-of-this-world vegetarian dishes, but I'd never give up meat in my diet.

If anyone feels like doing a little reading, this is a great review of scientific literature, myths, and theories regarding the Human diet.

There are un-intended consequences to being vegetarian, although you may save sheep cattle pigs and poultry, the land needed to sustain a vegetarian lifestyle requires more plowed land unfortunately this cuts into habitat for wild life- Deer, Raccoons, Birds and other animals. Unfortunately there is no simple answer to sustainability issues on either side of the meat no meat dinner table. Eating meat causes it's problems as does vegetarianism. Life is never simple

Oh, come on... I can't let you get away with that. It takes 16 lbs of grain to "make" one pound of meat. Cut out the meat, and you would have a lot less agriculture. :wink:

Yep, my whole family has been since before I was born, I've never eaten meat and don't intend to try.The exception is of course survival situations where if I can catch it I'd probably eat it. I do drink milk and eat eggs if they're in a cake or something. I love the fact that after mad cows disease they have become stricter about labeling sweets, Gelatine (bovine) stops the temptation :)
When I do get a strop I plan to get that vegan one I've seen by somebody on this list.
The mistake a lot of people that I speak to make is that we just eat the same food minus the meat which would leave mashed butternut, potato's and peas in a cream sauce. Not very nutritious at all
Have a look at www.goveg.com for some very nice recipes and products.

Good for you! My son is 8 years old, and I fear that he'll eat a cheeseburger when he becomes a teenager. If that's the worst thing he does, I'll consider myself lucky.

Oh, come on... I can't let you get away with that. It takes 16 lbs of grain to "make" one pound of meat. Cut out the meat, and you would have a lot less agriculture. :wink:

I'll second that. A huge percentage of U.S. agricultural production goes to feeding livestock. Not to mention the problems large herds of sheep and cattle cause to the lands they occupy when "free range".

I was vegetarian (actually pescetarian) for about 3 and a half years, mainly for "moral" issues. I don't think it's wrong to eat animals, but I'm disgusted with the way meat is produced in the modern food industry. When not eating meat for a while, looking at it and smelling it really disgusted me. Later on, though, I started actually dreaming about meat and craving it, so I started eating chicken again and eventually back to beef as well (I don't eat pork). Even though I ate fish, eggs, and cheese, and ate quite balanced, I didn't feel quite right after a while... sort of less dense and a bit weaker. The point is after I while my body started to feel the need for meat so I gave in, and now I feel better and more balanced. I only get organic meat, btw. Regular meat is so nasty. I sometimes wish I was still vegetarian, like after watching Food Inc. and after going fishing and killing fish... very unpleasant. But that's nature, and I don't think it's wrong if it's done right and in a balanced way. The way meat is mass produced today is just f****d up.

I`ll put my hand up as a strict vegetarian in so much as I don`t eat animal products of any description, essentially I follow a vegan diet but still use some animal products like leather, bone, horn,etc. I do still consume alcohol which the majority of is filtered through bone charcoal but I`ve managed to throw off the tyranny of honey, gelatin, sugar, egg protein culture vaccines, etc. My tattoos were all done with vegan ink formulae.

Regarding diet, I`m against the commodification of animals for greed and profit, hence I eat nothing that has or once had a face:) My only obvious hypocrsy is I use and prefer tallow based soaps, both body and shaving.

When G*d gave us dominion over animals, I believe he meant we were to help/guide and care for them, not exploit them for their skin, fur, meat, eggs, progeny, etc. I truely believe these things are an individual choice and as such accept anothers choice as being their unique reality.

Stephen

Good for you! My son is 8 years old, and I fear that he'll eat a cheeseburger when he becomes a teenager. If that's the worst thing he does, I'll consider myself lucky.

Cheeseburgers were my teenage rebellion. That pretty much was the worst of it. :tongue_sm Although I'm 27 now and still an omnivore, so that was a rather permanent rebellion. Being the pseudo hippies that my parents are they supported my choice along the way, the only rule was that I didn't cook meat in the house, but bbq was ok.

I've never minded Vegetarianism and can even respect those who practice it, at least those who aren't preachy and pushy about it. I myself am an omnivore, I prefer to take and process my own meat, whether it's from the woods (venison) or my uncles farm (beef), so I tend to get a little hands on with my food production.
The one issue I have with it (and this drives my wife nuts lol) is that when we are guests at their respective houses we're given a vegan/vegetarian meal, which in my true MN way will eat and sometimes enjoy. However, when they're a guest in my house I can't serve a meal with meat to them without offending them. I'm forced to prepare a meatless meal for everyone or prepare a side meal for them. For some reason this sits wrong with me, I have not been able to find a truly diplomatic way around this issue, any suggestions?

I've never minded Vegetarianism and can even respect those who practice it, at least those who aren't preachy and pushy about it. I myself am an omnivore, I prefer to take and process my own meat, whether it's from the woods (venison) or my uncles farm (beef), so I tend to get a little hands on with my food production.
The one issue I have with it (and this drives my wife nuts lol) is that when we are guests at their respective houses we're given a vegan/vegetarian meal, which in my true MN way will eat and sometimes enjoy. However, when they're a guest in my house I can't serve a meal with meat to them without offending them. I'm forced to prepare a meatless meal for everyone or prepare a side meal for them. For some reason this sits wrong with me, I have not been able to find a truly diplomatic way around this issue, any suggestions?
First, I must compliment you on your grace; clearly, you're concerned with being polite, both as a guest and a host.

This can be a complicated issue for some folks; shared meals are one of the cornerstones of social interaction, and things can get sticky when guests have different dietary restrictions and/or preferences. For my part, I never expect a host to accommodate my needs, but I'm always touched when someone goes to the trouble to provide for me, doubly so because I have a few food allergies that can inhibit even some vegetarian chefs. If I'm attending a function at which I expect no veg-friendly food, I simply eat beforehand. That said, I realize that some hosts may be uncomfortable if I don't eat at their tables. Catch 22.

Ultimately, I think it's a matter of how far you're willing/able to go in order to make your guests comfortable. I suspect most would be able to provide a non-alcoholic beverage when entertaining a tea-totaller, and I hope nobody would serve ham to a devout Muslim or Jew with the expectation that it would be eaten.

My best suggestion: If you're hosting vegetarians or vegans, and feel unable to make appropriate provisions, just tell them what you'll be serving in advance, as nicely as possible, and don't expect them to eat meat because that's what's on the menu. I've been invited to many cook-outs, and never been offended when my host notes that the centerpiece of the meal will be burgers and wings.

People come to vegetarianism for many, many reasons, but it's rarely a casual choice, and it's not something that will be set aside for the sake of convenience or a sense of social obligation. If you can stretch to serving a special meal, the thought and effort will always be appreciated; if you can't, no harm done, but you shouldn't take offense when your guests pass up the roast.

First, I must compliment you on your grace; clearly, you're concerned with being polite, both as a guest and a host.

This can be a complicated issue for some folks; shared meals are one of the cornerstones of social interaction, and things can get sticky when guests have different dietary restrictions and/or preferences. For my part, I never expect a host to accommodate my needs, but I'm always touched when someone goes to the trouble to provide for me, doubly so because I have a few food allergies that can inhibit even some vegetarian chefs. If I'm attending a function at which I expect no veg-friendly food, I simply eat beforehand. That said, I realize that some hosts may be uncomfortable if I don't eat at their tables. Catch 22.

Ultimately, I think it's a matter of how far you're willing/able to go in order to make your guests comfortable. I suspect most would be able to provide a non-alcoholic beverage when entertaining a tea-totaller, and I hope nobody would serve ham to a devout Muslim or Jew with the expectation that it would be eaten.

My best suggestion: If you're hosting vegetarians or vegans, and feel unable to make appropriate provisions, just tell them what you'll be serving in advance, as nicely as possible, and don't expect them to eat meat because that's what's on the menu. I've been invited to many cook-outs, and never been offended when my host notes that the centerpiece of the meal will be burgers and wings.

People come to vegetarianism for many, many reasons, but it's rarely a casual choice, and it's not something that will be set aside for the sake of convenience or a sense of social obligation. If you can stretch to serving a special meal, the thought and effort will always be appreciated; if you can't, no harm done, but you shouldn't take offense when your guests pass up the roast.

+1. Very well said.

Not that I want to take sides on the debate about meat vs. vegitarian foods, but I think you have to consider that animal waste is critical to the farming of fruits, vegetables, grains, etc. The reality is that they all rely on each other and sure, one might be more expensive to produce, but without it, the other one doesn't exist. To me, not acknowledging the benefits of animals/meat to the ecosystem and the diet is wrong, especially when teaching children. There are pros and cons to both sides of the debate and I think it is important to show that there isn't a right or wrong answer.

Perfectly said.

BTW, I am a little disappointed that you (jlanger) would expect a vegetarian to eat meat. A vegetarian would NEVER eat meat (except for the stupid scenario we are all asked about --- if you were starving on a desert island and you were about die, would you eat meat?)

For some of us it is a health reason, some it's religion, some it's morality, but NONE of us would eat meat.

If you were my friend, and you were serving BBQ Steak, with potatoes and gravy, and veggies with bacon, and you invited me, I would first ask if there was anything I could eat, and if you said "no," I would bring my own food. It's really no big deal. All vegetarians deal with this.

As disappointed as I am with you (in a very mild way :wink: ), I would also be disappointed in your vegetarian friend who would say "Hey JLanger, fix me a tofu burger, a side of veggies, and don't forget to pickup soy milk at the store." That is equally rude.

My suggestion for a party...... Serve meat, tell your veggie friends that you suck at cooking vegetarian food, and that they are welcome to bring their own vegetarian food. If you say it nicely, no one will be offended.

BTW, I have two children, one is my stepson. My son and I are Buddhist, and he has never had meat. My stepson is Christian, lives on a 10,000 acre cattle ranch, and hunts every single day. We all get along just fine!

I'm not a vegetarian, but with the prices on meat going up like they are I'm almost one. My youngest son was a vegetarian for about five years but was always kinda weak during that time. No real stamina or strength. Finally, he started eating fish and that balanced him out. He feels better and is stronger. He still won't eat any other type of meat though. He doesn't have a moral issue with it, he just don't like the taste or smell.

I'm not a vegetarian, but with the prices on meat going up like they are I'm almost one. My youngest son was a vegetarian for about five years but was always kinda weak during that time. No real stamina or strength. Finally, he started eating fish and that balanced him out. He feels better and is stronger. He still won't eat any other type of meat though. He doesn't have a moral issue with it, he just don't like the taste or smell.

I'd go there and eat free.... they have cornmeal onion rings.... YUM!!!

Top Bottom