What's new

Vegetarians

Do vegetarians get chlorophyll weepers and cuts while shaving???:eek:

I myself belong to PETA- People Eating Tasty Animals:001_tongu

As for Vegetarian Cook books try locating- Tassajara Cooking by Edward Aspe Brown

Edward is the Chef for a Buddhist Monastery and being they are vegetarian they need to vary their diet so they don't get bored with the same thing all the time, so there are lots of variations on each vegetable. It's an excellent cook book, they also have a bread book also

It's an old cook book so you may have to order it from a used book store but it's well worth the effort, this is the best vegetarian cook book I've ever seen and a must have book for anyone learning how to cook.:smile:

Yep, my whole family has been since before I was born, I've never eaten meat and don't intend to try.The exception is of course survival situations where if I can catch it I'd probably eat it. I do drink milk and eat eggs if they're in a cake or something. I love the fact that after mad cows disease they have become stricter about labeling sweets, Gelatine (bovine) stops the temptation :)
When I do get a strop I plan to get that vegan one I've seen by somebody on this list.
The mistake a lot of people that I speak to make is that we just eat the same food minus the meat which would leave mashed butternut, potato's and peas in a cream sauce. Not very nutritious at all
Have a look at www.goveg.com for some very nice recipes and products.

Just out of curiosity, are you guys vegetarians because of moral stances on animal cruelty and/or health practices?

Do any of you ever consider eating meat again? Trying it for the first time?

Not trying to be difficult, just a rabid carnivore trying to understand the eating habits of others.

Just out of curiosity, are you guys vegetarians because of moral stances on animal cruelty and/or health practices?

Not trying to be difficult, just a rabid carnivore trying to understand the eating habits of others.

I was raised vegetarian, my dad's reasoning behind it is sustainability issues. You can feed a lot more people with the crops and water that go to producing beef than you can with the beef itself that is produced - as a very basic example. Combined with a bit of the animal cruelty issues involved in mass market meat.

I tried meat the first time out of curiosity, it was bacon, it hooked me. I've been eating meat since I was 13, although I probably still only have red meat 1-2 times a month and chicken and fish 2-3 times a week. At least half of my dinners are still vegetarian.

personally i started just to see if i could, i used to eat quite alot of meat and just one day decided to test my will power :001_smile that then got me thinking about how little difference it made to me to not eat meat and so just stopped altogether, i now feel like i wouldn't eat meat again because of the production line style its reared, i have pets and i cant help likening them to other animals, having said that if it was a survival situation id definitely eat meat and id feel ok about it because of hunting it myself, hope none of that sounds preachy, it certainly isn't meant to, my family all eat meat and it really doesn't bother me, just a choice.

There are un-intended consequences to being vegetarian, although you may save sheep cattle pigs and poultry, the land needed to sustain a vegetarian lifestyle requires more plowed land unfortunately this cuts into habitat for wild life- Deer, Raccoons, Birds and other animals. Unfortunately there is no simple answer to sustainability issues on either side of the meat no meat dinner table. Eating meat causes it's problems as does vegetarianism. Life is never simple

I eat eggs and dairy (mostly cheese, not a big milk fan). I eat sushi every couple months, but otherwise don't eat fish. So, mostly vegetarian.

It's been about 7 years since I last ate meat. I feel fine, and maybe get sick less than others that I know. I don't miss it at all really.

I like the moral stuff, which is a side benefit. It's nice not to be involved with killing and eating animals, but it wasn't why I stopped eating meat.

It seems like it's cheaper too, for me at least.

I'm definitely moving to a vegetarian diet. Cheaper/easier to cook/healthier/more environmentally sustainable are all good reasons, and if you do it right, there's no drop off in enjoyment or quality. That said I still dabble in meat pretty routinely, but I've decreased the quantity hugely. It occurs to me that while I would occasionally love a strip of prosciutto or a nice filet, I don't need to force down dry hamburgers and huge, tough cuts of meat to be happy, and in fact I'll live longer if I avoid it.

I think a vegetarian recipe thread is definitely in order.

Edit: I am not in it for the moral reasons (aside from environmentalism), but I guess factory farming of animals is on questionable moral ground. I would love to see meat consumption taper off to the point where animal agriculture can operate without the externalities and messiness, and rely more on grass-fed animals than transported feed.

Last edited:

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I am not! I do try to have at least 1 vegetarian meal a week. I know, it's not much but it makes me appreciate the food even more that way.

Well my changes aren't prolonged enough to notice long term health benefits, but I do notice that a huge plate of meat would feel "heavier" over the rest of the day. I guess individual meals leave me a little more bright-eyed and bushy-tailed. Could be a placebo effect, could be all the greasiness and saturated fat. I still eat a TON of protein.

For those of you that were former meat eaters and became vegetarians, do you notice any obvious health benefits?

No.

I have bad cholesterol and triglyceride numbers. I tried a fairly strict low-fat, low-cholesterol diet and the numbers barely budged. This was over a period of about a year. Once my new doctor put me on drugs the numbers dropped dramatically to near normal ranges. My diet seems to have little or no effect.

I look at it as if my body had a thermostat mechanism that said what levels of cholesterol (etc.) it should maintain. Trying to control this by diet is like trying to control the inside temperature of your house from the outside. Certainly if the outside temperature were high or low enough you could overrun your house's heating/cooling system but that would not be easy to achieve. The drugs kind of adjust the thermostat. Apparently my thermostat does not cover the perfect range but can be set closer to it.

Now I made all that up and there is NO scientific nor medical work I am aware of to back me up.

My grandparents (to my fathers side) was vegetarians. I guess that makes me 1/4 vegetarian?

Anyway I don't eat a lot of meat, and use their recipes some times.

For those of you that were former meat eaters and became vegetarians, do you notice any obvious health benefits?

I did notice a few changes with weight loss being the most obvious. My skin became clearer. I had just an overall better sense of health. Every once in a while I have a craving and I'll eat a burger (like every six months or so) and I suffer the next day with the most horrible gas and I feel bloated.

But darn it if that burger isn't tasty.

After eating meat for 44 years, my wife who was brought up vegetarian, asked me if I wanted to go to a vegetarian pot luck supper. I wasn't too keen on the idea, but I went anyway. I went with the idea that vegetarians just ate carrot and celery sticks, along with bland salad, but I told her I would and so I went.

Well that night I had such good eats, and listened to such interesting speakers, I told my wife that I could do this vegetarian thing. She asked me if I wanted to and I told her I would. She asked me when? I told her "right now".

That was over 15 years ago, and I haven't had meat since, don't miss it one bit, and don't want to go back.

I've even joined PETA, and animal cruelty makes me want to lash out at someone.

Isn't life interesting? :biggrin: :tongue: :wink:

Top Bottom