What's new

Unusual Vintage Sharpening Stone

The acid would tell you if it is marble. Carbonate minerals bubble or effervesce in a reaction to hydrochloric acid or other acids. So in this case the slate should not bubble because it won't have the carbonate minerals while the marble should. This should in theory tell me which one I have since they look similar.

It's just science.

Here the pictures as promise. Fiddich River is on right side in front view, first pic is with dry stones, in the second pic stones are wet. From side view the Fiddich one is down.

View attachment 847972View attachment 847973View attachment 847974

Hi, you comment on the right and the middle one. What is te stone on the left.
I’m considering buying very similar stone with many “cracks” and this nice light blue-green combinations.
[mention]Bushdoctor [/mention] thanks in advance
Your pictures are great

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi, you comment on the right and the middle one. What is te stone on the left.
I’m considering buying very similar stone with many “cracks” and this nice light blue-green combinations.
[mention]Bushdoctor [/mention] thanks in advance
Your pictures are great

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I believe that is a Glanrafon.

I don’t think the glanfaron is a slate. They are more like a novaculite and feel like ceramic in hand. Very hard stone.

Am I wrong about that? What makes it slatey to you?

I saved some images for visual reference of one.
s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600 (1).jpg
s-l1600 (2).jpg

I don’t think the glanfaron is a slate. They are more like a novaculite and feel like ceramic in hand. Very hard stone.

Am I wrong about that? What makes it slatey to you?
I agree with your description as feeling ceramic in hand, but I don't think novaculite. There is the fact that every reference to the quarry and it's own documents as calling it a slate quarry. The clear label on page one of this thread calls them a Charely Forest oil stone with the Glanrafon Quarry written on top. They are not the same material as a Charnley forest stone and well don't come from England but from Wales.
Glanrafonpricelist.jpg

I totally agree. I don't know what they are and am no geologist. It would be interesting if anyone around who knew enough about stones that could classify. I was just using comparatives and saying it is like those in feel, but I am not calling it novaculite or ceramic. They are one of the prettiest hone types to me.

I didn't own that one. A lot of the time they aren't cracks so much as veins traveling through the stone. I had one that had an orange vein in it that partially weathered chemically and it did no harm. I would think you'd be fine so long as there was nothing on an edge of the honing track to snag a blade.

Top Bottom