What's new

Unsticking an adjustable

Legion

Staff member
So today in the wild I came across a Gillette Aristocrat slim in ok shape. The problem is that the adjustment dial is stuck in one position and won’t turn. Well, after I pointed that out the price came down enough that I figured it was cheap enough to gamble on being able to fix it.

so how do I fix it?

any advice on freeing up the stuck ring without pulling the whole razor apart, or using chemicals that might damage the gold?

09C8A49A-3F7F-428E-BCCE-FEA59983F6B6.jpeg

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I would try the simplest thing first. Boil some water. Give the razor a good rub down with dish soap, then soak it in the boiling water. That’s what I would try first. Although I suspect it won’t fit it. It’s worth a shot. Sounds like it’s stuck stuck, mechanically. And not just gunk.

I'd bet on it just being gunked up. A good long soak in hot but not boiling water should free it up. I've had a few I got that were stuck that way and a good soak freed them up. Even after you get the dial moving, check to make sure the baseplate also moves up and down freely.

Legion

Staff member
Yeah, I'll start with hot soapy water and cross my fingers, I guess. Unfortunately I don't have an ultrasonic cleaner, or I would add that to the mix.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Yeah, I'll start with hot soapy water and cross my fingers, I guess. Unfortunately I don't have an ultrasonic cleaner, or I would add that to the mix.
Do you have anything that vibrates/shakes? Can you think of anything? Because that and some VERY warm water may just surprise you.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I’ve bought literally hundreds of razors over the years. Every one of them was cleaned with hot soapy water and a toothbrush. Some added toothpaste as well.

I suppose an ultrasonic cleaner might do a better job but for what? A 50 year old razor that cost me 10 bucks? The extra expense and time just never seemed worth it to me when I can get the surface gunk off and get the razor sparkling with just a toothbrush, paste, and elbow grease.

Back in my younger days when I wore gold chains and rings I cleaned them the same exact way. I took them to the jewelry store once for the ultrasonic cleaning and they turned out great of course. One day I just decided to do it myself and I couldn‘t tell the difference.

FarmerTan

I've got a wood stove wrapped in sheet metal that won't even keep coffee in the cup warm enough to drink, but it works great for defrosting a steak, roast, chicken.....

Legion

Staff member
I’ve bought literally hundreds of razors over the years. Every one of them was cleaned with hot soapy water and a toothbrush. Some added toothpaste as well.

I suppose an ultrasonic cleaner might do a better job but for what? A 50 year old razor that cost me 10 bucks? The extra expense and time just never seemed worth it to me when I can get the surface gunk off and get the razor sparkling with just a toothbrush, paste, and elbow grease.

Back in my younger days when I wore gold chains and rings I cleaned them the same exact way. I took them to the jewelry store once for the ultrasonic cleaning and they turned out great of course. One day I just decided to do it myself and I couldn‘t tell the difference.
An US cleaner is great for loosening gunk internally or in nooks and crannies where a toothbrush cant reach (like inside a razors adjustment mechanism). I had a big professional one at one of my old workplaces and we used it for all sorts of things.

You can sometimes find cheap home ones on sale, but I'm not sure how strong they are.

FarmerTan

An US cleaner is great for loosening gunk internally or in nooks and crannies where a toothbrush cant reach (like inside a razors adjustment mechanism). I had a big professional one at one of my old workplaces and we used it for all sorts of things.

You can sometimes find cheap home ones on sale, but I'm not sure how strong they are.
Yeah, the home units all look mostly plastic to me.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Home units are plastic and I don’t think that they work that great. I bought one to clean razors off eBay. I tried and and it appeared to do nothing for me. I put a few drops of dishwashing liquid and a few drops of ammonia in and and all the soap gunk stayed on the razor. Ran it through 3 times. I suspect for lots of gunk they are near to useless.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
What about a dilution of hydrochloric acid? Kind of a hazard to keep around the home but I bet it will clean the hell out of a razor. Might affect any plating though.....so probably not a good idea. We use it at work to clean the laboratory glass. It’s a beast.

Legion

Staff member
I might be thinking of sulfuric acid actually....

one of those anyway.
Either of those will kill the finish.

So far hot water did not work. I also gave it a good squirt with shower cleaner, thing maybe soap scum is jamming it, but that didn't work either.

Still stuck solid. It's a lot cleaner...

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I bought a Slim that was stuck. It took me many, many soaks in hot water and dishwashing liquid to eventually free it up. I would work the adjustment knob while it was soaking in the cooling cleaning solution. I thought that I bought a dud but it did eventually unstick. I think at one stage I even used some small pointy nose pliers to try and get some movement happening.

FarmerTan

So today in the wild I came across a Gillette Aristocrat slim in ok shape. The problem is that the adjustment dial is stuck in one position and won’t turn. Well, after I pointed that out the price came down enough that I figured it was cheap enough to gamble on being able to fix it.

so how do I fix it?

any advice on freeing up the stuck ring without pulling the whole razor apart, or using chemicals that might damage the gold?

View attachment 1196611
That is a nice looking razor!

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Can you force it? Just use a lot of force and turn it. Even if it breaks it. My thinking is if it’s more than gunk you’ll have to take it apart anyway. So if you force it and break it free and it works fine yay! But if you force it and it breaks and still doesn’t do anything...well you’d have to take it apart anyway to fix it so....

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Give it a couple good whacks on a hard surface too. Just suggesting things I would try if it were mine. Maybe push on the adjustable bars while trying to turn the dial.

Legion

Staff member
Can you force it? Just use a lot of force and turn it. Even if it breaks it. My thinking is if it’s more than gunk you’ll have to take it apart anyway. So if you force it and break it free and it works fine yay! But if you force it and it breaks and still doesn’t do anything...well you’d have to take it apart anyway to fix it so....
That thought crossed my mind, but it would be a shame to really break it. It's still a perfectly good razor, if you are happy with setting #5

FarmerTan

That thought crossed my mind, but it would be a shame to really break it. It's still a perfectly good razor, if you are happy with setting #5
Lol, and I'll bet you one good enough razor that you end up liking it best on "5"!

Top Bottom